Idle and my CPU/Fans kick up!

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
Alright so here is the symptom:
Leave my machine alone, no mouse/kb use and it will instantly jump in about 2 degrees and crank up all my fan speeds about 100RPM

What I've checked:
-Left my Asus recorder on to see the jump when I left the machine alone
-Disabled AVAST virus scanner/all related to see if this was performing a scan
-Left task manager open without touching keyboard/mouse to observe any processes taking over...but nothing appears suspect...just a random spike in CPU but nothing is being used from what I can see...
-Connected remotely, and shows the same symptoms
-As long as I am using it, it will not spike in temp/fan speeds, but the instant I stop using it (within about 30 seconds) it will spike

Thoughts? Utilities I can use to check? Just really, really odd...

-Intel 3820 socket 2011 sitting in an ASUS Board P9X79 Pro - running two XFX 6870 cards in crossfire - drivers and FW are up todate.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Could be defragging in the background? I'm pretty sure Win7/8 does this automatically by default, but only when idle and only if it needs it.

Try manually defragging and see if it still does it.

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
Could be defragging in the background? I'm pretty sure Win7/8 does this automatically by default, but only when idle and only if it needs it.

Try manually defragging and see if it still does it.

Giving that a shot right now- funny while its defragging the same thing happens, when I move the mouse, it drops back down again...I'll update with results.

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
Don't think this is the reason, its behaving the same way while defragging - this is the single most frustrating thing I've had to deal with

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
ALRIGHT figured it out for those interested: ieutils.exe was running when I would go idle, it would hide itself when I moved the mouse etc - using the built in Resource Monitor I was able to end it, and now system is running normal. It appears to be a menu application? Not entirely sure where I picked it up/installed considering my machine is run fairly minimal - but if you are facing this , take a look for this little thing running....kind of weird, and was definitely stressing my CPU for no reason.

Back to regular business as usual!

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
For a little background: AceFTP 3 Pro, VMN Toolbar, and Dynamic Toolbar are products of Visicom Media. Dynamic Toolbar uses ieutils.exe to create toolbars for different applications. Apparently, Dynamic Toolbars is used by a wide range of clients (Comcast, VeriSign, Oracle, etc.) to create the toolbar their particular app uses.

Creatch

Mar 25, 2013
I recently just built a new computer and I installed windows 8, everything was going fine but then I noticed the same symptoms you had. I went into the process manger as you said I see the ieutil.exe but it is greyed out and I cannot end the process. Any thoughts?

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
I recently just built a new computer and I installed windows 8, everything was going fine but then I noticed the same symptoms you had. I went into the process manger as you said I see the ieutil.exe but it is greyed out and I cannot end the process. Any thoughts?

Open your task manager and there is a similar EXE called ieutilmang or something along those lines, kill that process. Also grab CCleaner, and check out your start up programs - be sure to disable it in your start up. I still cannot identify what program is using this exe and it will return from time to time - and I can tell because when I walk away from my computer it goes to completely full load and all my fans kick in 100%...