Idiot's guide to installing SP-94

Rapamatic

Aug 8, 2001
So, I got the SP-94 in yesterday, and I was trying to figure out how to install it last night, but I've come up with an issu ehtat I'm sure is not a big deal for most people but is confusing me a bit.

The (poorly) written instructions on thermalright's page suggest installing a plastic washer between the standoffs and the motherboard, as illustrated below:

standoff
|
plastic washer
|
motherboard
|
black metal back plate

However, in the blowup diagram, they show the washers going *UNDER* the motherboard, between the back plate and the mobo. I played it safe and put washers in both parts, but noticed that on the back it seems washers are not needed, since the back plate does not actually contact the motherboard as it rests entirely on the foam pad in the center of it.

Further confounding the issue is that fact that thermalright shipped 3 different sized washers with the kit:

1) flat metal ones
2) flat plastic ones
3) thicker plastic ones, that are of a smaller diameter (think like a piece cut out of a plastic drinking straw, compared to a traditional flat washer)

How did you guys install yours?

Sorry for what I'm sure is an obvious question and thanks in advance!

RedDwarf

Sep 9, 2001
This is how I installed it,

spring loaded screw
metal washer
heatsink
standoff
flat plastic washer
motherboard
straw washer
bottom plate

at least that is how I think I remember installing it
remember to put the flat metal washer between the spring and heatsink
you don't want little copper shavings comming off the heatsink when you try to remove it later.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
put one too many washers and get poor conduction and have your CPU burn out... well your mobo will prolly protect you from that..

MANTISADOR

Oct 1, 2003
Yeah, I agree. Watch the video off of 3dgameman as it is very helpful. Also, check out the instructions for the other Thermalright heatsinks, as they are more informative and have better diagrams, even though they are not for the SP-94, they are basically the same.

hytek369

Lifer
Mar 20, 2002
Originally posted by: MANTISADOR
Yeah, I agree. Watch the video off of 3dgameman as it is very helpful. Also, check out the instructions for the other Thermalright heatsinks, as they are more informative and have better diagrams, even though they are not for the SP-94, they are basically the same.

i agree, the install for slk-947u is what i used