Ideas about a Steam Box Build

beisat

Apr 30, 2012
Hi all

After getting my new TV (with HDMI 2.0 and AVR with HDMI 2.0, I am interested in the idea of attaching a PC for gaming to it for all multi-platform games, as I always use a x360 controller anyway (even shooters).

Input lag has so far not been an issue when using xbox360 and ps4, the screen goes to 60hz (I briefly used my regular pc to test this). The TV is 4k, but for now I would just set the games to 1080p and let it upscale until 4k gaming becomes realistic.

Now I am having difficulties deciding on a case.

The PC will have to fit in here on the left side after I remove the middle shelf. This means:

34 height * 52 width * 43 depth, the front and the bottom of the back are open for airflow (so plenty of fresh air).

I usually take the best i5, an matx board (itx would do as well but might be a bit tight?) and a nvidia asus direct CU / Strix GPU in the 60 / 70 range (660 / 970 / 1070 etc.). I never use 2 GPUs and never overclock. I cool only with air and normally buy Noctua fans / CPU coolers. I will use an SDD and max. one HDD. Everything should be as quiet as possible.

Now I would think this should be easy, but it's not:) I cannot find a decent HTPC case for gaming (silverstone grandia and fractal node 605 seem ok but not really made for long GPUs), but see no reason to squash everything in something like a raven if I have so much room. Fractal Design Define Nano S fits height wise, but pressing the button on the top will be difficult.
That is why I am considering a silverstone sugo sg10 currently.

What do you think / any good ideas?

Thx

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
have you considering ITX since u dont scale gpu's?

You can find a lot of nice cases which are itx which would fit in a 34inch height.

beisat

Apr 30, 2012
Yeah I have considered ITX, just never done an ITX build before. It just seems (and maybe I am wrong here) that going ITX + small cases makes cooling and configuring it pretty difficult as I am aiming for quiet gaming which in my experience requires a decent size GPU and CPU Cooler and a quiet PSU with a bigger fan. But I am totally open to suggestions if you know a good, quiet ITX config.

Please be aware we are talking 34cm height, not inch.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The fractal node 304:
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black
height 210mm and is also a very easy case to work with on ITX.
Can support a large heat sink of 165mm tall with a full sized PSU on top.
Motherboard is also horizontal which puts very little stress on the board with a heavy heat sink.
Can support 6 3.5inch HDD's.
Has even the option to take a full sized GPU if you remove 1 of the drive bays.

For the wants you listed, i would support you going ITX on a fractal node 304, as i cant see anything wrong with that combo.

Also the price on the case is around $70.00 on newegg as i type this.

Last edited:

beisat

Apr 30, 2012
Thanks, did my research on it and ordered a node 304 with an i5. Didn't go for a massiv cooler, just got a Noctua NH-U9S. Replacing one case fan as well with a Noctua.

Just FYI in case you recommend the case to other people (picked this up on my research): Full sized PSU + full size GPU (which Strix GPU are) don't go together, unless you get a short PSU (140mm depth!). I got a silverstone strider 550 platinum PSU with short cable kit, never paid so much for a PSU in my life:) Hope it was worth it and it isn't too loud.