Idea for a game

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Just thought I'd throw this out.

Game: "Good Driver"

Purpose: To teach new drivers a safe driving mentality and habits while entertaining them; and hopefully save lives.

Description: Take 'realistic' driving simulators - think "Burnout Paradise" for an idea for a start about building an environment and bots - the technology is there. The game would be designed around the idea of getting new drivers not to think in terms of driving being 'exciting' - take that chance, speed, swerve, be entertained by taking chances - but in terms of not having an accident.

But that itself isn't 'entertaining'. It'd be hard to get people to play that, and id they did, for the lessons to fly out the other ear.

The game would do it by having safe driving be the core gameplay, but with a permadeath mechanic. It would have to be enjoyable, in terms of the environments; it might incorporate gaming mechanics such as 'leveling up' and 'quests' with rewards. It would need to reward drivers with better and better cars they build up - and lose all the work they've put in if they get in an accident.

The 'fun' would need to be from activities other than 'driving unsafely'. Driving would just be what they have to do to get to fun, and progress. And do it without an accident.

The game would simulate realistic threats occasionally to teach defensive driving.

It would need to be fun enough with rewards enough for the new drivers to want to play, while the market might include everyone from parents wanting safer children to governments helping promote it.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I like the concept. I wished it existed right now. I'd make my 14 year old "play" it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Ya, I think it's a workable idea, and useful for our society. We don't have enough tools to prepare new drivers. 'Drivers Ed' is inadequate. But the idea of how to get this made... staff, funding, marketing... oh boy. Be nice if there was a publisher who could get the idea and get it made. It would need designing, programming, art...

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I confused why this wasnt made a long time ago. We have all kinds of simulations like airplane, boat, truck, bus, train but not a regular city driving simulation.
I was looking for a simulation with stick shift driving but there are none, I assume the closest would be racing games?