IDE to USB device keeps disconnecting

Mar 24, 2005
Plug in, 5 seconds later, it shows as being undetected. Also hear the "disconnect" sound.

It happens to an external HD drive, and a recent DVD USB drive.

Only happens when reading/writing. Never happens when idle. Anyone know how to keep this disconnecting from happening?

montag451

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Hi,
Can you pretend that we haven't got our crystal balls working properly, and start from scratch.
What disconnect sound?
What do you plug in?
What system have you got?
What are you trying to do when the error occurs?

Mar 24, 2005
Disconnect sound made by windows. Doesn't work when you have all windows sounds disabled. Usually happens when USB devices are unplugged. There is also a connection sound, when you plug in a device.

What do I plug in? An IDE to USB cord into a USB 2.0. Attached with it is either a DVD-RW or an HD. Both have different cables.

System:
Athlon 64 3200+ 754 Socket (Clawhammer)
Asus K8V SE Deluxe (Via Chipset)
Sapphire ATI X800XT Platinum
2 160GB Maxtor HD SATA Raid
2 x 1GB OCZ Gold
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (OEM)

What Am I trying to do whent he error occurs? Well, first off, there is no stated error. Second off, in the HD, I am either "writing" files down, or reading them from the HD. So, I am putting files or accessing files. Both ways make the HD "disappear". With the DVD-RW, happens when there is a disc inside. Basically, nearly the same thing about reading/writing in the HD.

montag451

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
At a guess, then,
it is possible that the USB is not providing enough power to power the device you are trying to connect.

Can you use an external caddy with a standalone power supply.

Mar 24, 2005
Both have those.

I have also used my internal PSU, which should be more than enough to power it, considering it is a 550W. That and the DVD-RW used to be IDE. I want it to work on USB, however.

Also, I have unchecked "allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" in the device manager under USB root hub. Checked and unchecked, neither works.

Right now, I am ordering a new not-so-cheap IDE to Usb adapter to see if both of those devices have faulty IDE To USB cables.

Mar 24, 2005
Oh and another point: It works on my old gateway PC. It had a 250W PSU, and all those oem shoddy parts.

So I wouldn't think it would be the PSU.

Anyways, it's an Antec PSU.

However, on my old PC, it has USB 1.1 And it works fine.

So, either it's my PC's configuration, or the fact that it can't really handle great bandwidth.

Now, I've posted this on several boards, but I "require" help that is beyond "intermediate knowledge of computers".

And as I've said, it doesn't work on this PC with the external mini-PSU, or with the internal PSU. And it DOES work with the other PC with the external mini-PSU.
So, it isn't a power problem, for the most part.

If you want the stats of the old PC, it's a gateway mobo, with 1.8 ghz P4, USB 1.1, ATI 9800. Works on both front and motherboard USB ports. Win XP Pro SP1.

Also, my old PC uses Win XP Home. Tested on both SP 1 and SP2. Neither work. The External HD used to work once, but I don't have a system restore that far. So, likely, it is a configuration problem. Thing is, where?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sounds like noise problems are causing USB2.0 high-speed protocol errors, leading to disconnect/reset of the devices, or something like that.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, it means you need to use a shorter / better-quality USB2.0-grade cable, and if you have front-panel USB wires connected to the mobo, consider disconnecting them if they aren't USB2.0-grade.

SLIMI

Dec 19, 2005
I've the same problem!(DVDROM is disconecting after pluging via USB) Anybody know what to do with this?????