IDC: Only 500K Ultrabooks Sold So Far

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sweet jesus, what is the computing world coming to? It's like everyone's gone stupid. Why don't all laptops get an awesome-stick like the one Thinkpads have? I'd rather that than put my greasy nacho fingers on my pretty screen :p

Amen! Save the 'nipple'.

pelov

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2011
I hated that thing when I had my stinkpad. Some ideas die out for being unpopular for all the right reasons.

Blasphemer!

Nipple-controlled pointers are best pointers.

And when you're tired of using it you can actually grab the one on the laptop.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
The margins for Ultrabooks are lower than for regular notebooks. So they're not only higher in cost but also make them, the manufacturers, less money per unit sold, and as you saw in this very thread they're not selling that many either.

Theses high costs come from a few critical parts manufacturers
who have enough control over the market to substancialy raise
their prices, as is the case cuurently with hard disks ; CPUs being
first on this list , remeber the intel s 250$ minimum price point
for regular its 17W chips.
No wonder that with such high margins it s not possible to reduce
the price of the complete thing to about double the CPU (high) cost...

The OEMS actually pay more for the parts because of the required mSATA SSDs or SATA SSDs, usually magnesium or aluminum chassis (which is quite expensive) and non-standardized batteries that they order in lower volume (remember that you can't swap an ultrabook battery with a regular laptop battery and since they order many more swappable laptop batteries the cost is lower due to volume).

Ultrabooks are more expensive because the parts are more expensive.

For who is in the know about industrial prices , things as aluminium
or magnesium are negligible quantity , while the rest , plastics all over
the place is worth one $ per kilo , including forming costs....

As for batteries, their cost is in direct proportion of their capacity ,
the so called slim form factor being irrelevant in matter of added cost.

Aug 11, 2008
I hated that thing when I had my stinkpad. Some ideas die out for being unpopular for all the right reasons.

I tend to agree with you. I have an older dell (edit: from my job, didn't purchase it myself), and nearly always use a wireless mouse. I am continually hitting that stupid joystick thing and the cursor ends up who knows where. Usually I mess up a line or 2 of typing until I notice what happened. Maybe it wouldnt be so bad if they would put it somewhere besides in the middle of the keyboard.

Is there any way to turn the thing off??

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

I absolutely loved it!!! I didn't have to continuously shufle my fingers over a damned trackpad. I press in one direction and the cursor moves there as long as I keep pressing...no need to slide my fingers anywhere.

I became quite accurate with it and the next laptop I buy, I hope it has one as well...on the Dell laptop I was using that had it, it was quite nice to use.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
The problem, of course, is that the market for super-slim, ultraportable notebooks was essentially invented by Apple way back at the beginning of 2008,

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/are-ultrabooks-an-epic-failure/#ixzz2111Wgpe5

Thats about where I stopped reading their article as BS, since Sony, HP, Dell, Samsung, and Asus have all had ultra slim notebooks well before 2008. Its cost, plain and simple. A ~200 dollar netbook or 400 dollar laptop does the job of the ultrabook just as good. If someone doesn't need that ultra slim size, there's no reason for them to pony up 3x as much money. Especially when CPUs have become so powerful that even the lower end models can handle 99% of the common tasks.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Batty, you must search the entire forum for any mention of Apple so you can hate on them. ;)

extreme oc'er

Oct 18, 2012
Someone actually traded me their HP-Folio Ultrabook for an acer aspire i had. I agreee that they are a bit overpriced, but wow, they do perform very well. This one was locked up and did not have a power adapter, hince the good trade. I wiped it, did a fresh win 7 x64 ultimate install, and it runs just as good with the dual core hyperthreading i5@ 1.6ghz turbo to 2.2ghz as my desktop with the quad core 3570k core i5 overclocked to 4.4ghz. That and it only weighs 2.6lbs and has a 8 hour battery life, no regular laptop cam compare there. It all depends on what you are going to use it for, but STILL with all that said i cannot see shelling out $1200 for it.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
+1 for nipples.

Have it on my Dell and it's nice. It would be a hard choice to buy another laptop that doesn't have it.