ID reveals new game tech at WWDC

Oct 25, 2005
Carmack revealed some new ID tech at Apple's WWDC during the keynote - details a bit slim, but it seems to partially be a rapid development thing. Texture based - everything in the scene they showed is uniquely textured apparently, with 20Gb of textures in the scene. Artists can work directly on the game world (like Crysis?). "Unlimited ability to manipulate textures on object with little to no performance hit"

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
That engine looks promising. Let's hope it delivers.

And yeah...I'm not a huge Mac fan, but Leopard looks really cool.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Wait a second... in-game footage of an iD game with no blood, gore, or zombie demons in sight? :confused: Actually, it looks alright but from the small screenshots they have posted there it doesn't look any better than the Cryengine 2, and the face of that one dude still carries a Doom 3 aura of plasticness. Hopefully they'll have better pictures of it posted soon.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
since it runs on Mac would it be safe to assume it uses openGL, and will that maybe bring DX10 features to winXP by openGL 3.0?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: biostud
since it runs on Mac would it be safe to assume it uses openGL, and will that maybe bring DX10 features to winXP by openGL 3.0?

Carmack IS working on a new "DX-10 featured" OpenGl Engine ... nvidia has opened new DX10 OGl Hardware features just for him ... and OpenGl IS being updated this Summer to take full advantage of DX10 HW

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Deinonych
Hmm...I know it's early footage, but I was pretty underwhelmed by what I saw.

Same here.

My impressions are take from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvuTtrkVtns

Don't get me wrong, it looks solid and had a hefty amount of objects on the screen, and I probably need a new video card to run it. The problem I had is it doesn't appear to be much different from current high end graphics. Doom3?s engine set itself apart from the crowd at the time, Carmack needs to show us that this stands out from the crowd if we?re going to get excited over it.

As for 20gb of textures, guess that rules out shipping the games on a DVD. :D

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Wait a second... in-game footage of an iD game with no blood, gore, or zombie demons in sight? :confused: Actually, it looks alright but from the small screenshots they have posted there it doesn't look any better than the Cryengine 2, and the face of that one dude still carries a Doom 3 aura of plasticness. Hopefully they'll have better pictures of it posted soon.

exactly what I thought
i actually thought, aside from the amazing texture support, that it seems to be an updated Doom3/Quake4 engine, completely with the plastic models. I always thought it was more than simply a character issue, and went as far as being game-wide. A lot of models, be it railings, walkways, even with the shimmer of metallic textures, still had a plastic feel. That engine demo seems to feature all of it.

but alas, it was put together rather abruptly, here's to hoping the final engine is worlds better. The support for textures is one thing, now just get the polygon count up and compete with the effects that CryEngine2 is touting. :)

aznxk3vi17

Jun 13, 2003
As long as Carmack refuses to support or program for DirectX, his engines will never again be as popular as his heyday of Quake 2 and 3. He just has to work that much harder in order to get the feature sets that DirectX is touting.

He's a stubborn bastard, though. RIP iD engines.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
it seems cryengine 2 is king of the hill based on all the previews thus far. only if we didnt have to wait to get this stuff in our hands :D

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
it seems cryengine 2 is king of the hill based on all the previews thus far. only if we didnt have to wait to get this stuff in our hands :D

i just hope it lives up to the hype in its ability to perform with such great visuals on the machines of today, namely good C2D cpu's and 8800/2900 series. please oh please just run good on my machine. lol

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I think the big point of this engine is how in can be manipulated "in world" by artists in real time to help facilitate the development process. It sounded like that was what Carmack was selling anyway.

Far Cry had an awesome engine, and how much did we see of that? 1 game? It seems like what we are really going to see a lot of is the next UT engine :p

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: destrekor

i just hope it lives up to the hype in its ability to perform with such great visuals on the machines of today, namely good C2D cpu's and 8800/2900 series. please oh please just run good on my machine. lol

It'll run, just don't expect to be able to run the highest resolution with all the extra eye candy. Buying hardware today for software tomorrow is never the way to go.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Originally posted by: destrekor

It'll run, just don't expect to be able to run the highest resolution with all the extra eye candy. Buying hardware today for software tomorrow is never the way to go.

love my 1280x1024 display. ;)
and yea, I don't buy for tomorrow. I buy for the games I want to play good now. Or, at least the games coming out a month or two from the hardware purchase, but not a year away.

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

As for 20gb of textures, guess that rules out shipping the games on a DVD. :D

Compression and Procedural Generation should take care of that issue. ;)