I'd like to make a little winter home for squirrels/small ground critters.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Seeing as how its still summer I thought maybe I should start now to have it ready.

Was hoping it could be as simple as getting some 2x2 plywood pieces and making little walls & doors. Should probably paint the outside too, protect it from snow and rain.

Anybody have suggestions on wood selection or construction? Know of any sites with blueprints? I wanna do this at home with basic hand tools, nothing fancy. I have power drivers and a hammer drill, reciprocating saw, circular saw, and a jigsaw.

I was thinking something like this:

pNvZA3R.jpg

Maybe put boards on the side and drill out 3 inch holes for proper doors.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Probably make it like a big bird house. I always figured outside critters figure out their housing well enough though. Unless you really want a project, a better use of time might be shredding rags, and putting them in a dry location for animals to take, and build a nest with.

Reactions: MongGrel

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
If they're around (and they're everywhere), maybe it's a very good idea to make an attractive home for them _instead_ of having them nest in your attic.

I was telling a buddy about the recent incident where I had a squirrel try to chew through the kitchen window screen to get at some food on the counter. He told me about having them up in the engine compartment of a truck he'd parked for the winter, doing more than $1000 worth of damage to wiring and hoses.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
If they're around (and they're everywhere), maybe it's a very good idea to make an attractive home for them _instead_ of having them nest in your attic.
Yeah, because given the choice between a heated and unheated space they typically choose the latter.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
As long as those little boxes close up once the squirrel gets in and are then taken by trucks to be looked at by top men, I approve this plan.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
As long as those little boxes close up once the squirrel gets in and are then taken by trucks to be looked at by top men, I approve this plan.
Put them in a flat rate box, and send them to me. I love squirrels, and my yard is full of oak and walnut trees. They'll be happy here, though they might not like the shipping process :^P

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Put them in a flat rate box, and send them to me. I love squirrels, and my yard is full of oak and walnut trees. They'll be happy here, though they might not like the shipping process :^P
What if he just builds a squirrel trebuchet and shoots them over to you? We'd need to figure out the speed at which a squirrel burns up in the atmosphere and shoot for just under that.

Reactions: lxskllr

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
These types of shelters will also attract Rats.
If you skin a squirrel, once all that hair is gone from their tail, they look pretty much like... rats. Send your squirrels to me. I'm ready for them - plenty of fresh dried bay leaves, white wine... Mmmmm.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Coincidentally... I ran into another friend last week and he told me that he's been having problems with squirrels for the last couple of years. He and his next door neighbor have been live-trapping them since last summer and they've trapped and relocated 127(!) of the damned things.

I asked him if he thought they were like those bears we often get here that they capture and try to relocate to the mountains. They'll then often travel many miles to come back to root through garbage in town. Colorado Parks & Wildlife has a three strikes policy. Third time and they kill the bear. He wasn't sure, but said he's thinking about just killing them to make sure. o_O

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Coincidentally... I ran into another friend last week and he told me that he's been having problems with squirrels for the last couple of years. He and his next door neighbor have been live-trapping them since last summer and they've trapped and relocated 127(!) of the damned things.

I asked him if he thought they were like those bears we often get here that they capture and try to relocate to the mountains. They'll then often travel many miles to come back to root through garbage in town. Colorado Parks & Wildlife has a three strikes policy. Third time and they kill the bear. He wasn't sure, but said he's thinking about just killing them to make sure. o_O

what do they do? Use a fuckin hole punch on his ears?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
If you skin a squirrel, once all that hair is gone from their tail, they look pretty much like... rats. Send your squirrels to me. I'm ready for them - plenty of fresh dried bay leaves, white wine... Mmmmm.

I'm more partial to squirrel with homemade biscuits and gravy! :)

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
My brother and I used to hunt a lot of squirrels and dad would make a stew with them. I'm not sure I'd eat squirrels taken from an urban environment, though.

Untitled%2B1.jpg

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
Little critters don't need help with shelter.
Mice made a home under the hood of mama's riding mower and ate through the battery cable.
My father kept a box of D-Con mouse poison taped to the top of each car battery after mice got into his car and ate wiring.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Black squirrels were always good eating, we used to hunt those when camping in Southern Indiana.

They are larger and run the others squirrels off.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Don't go overboard with coddling wild creatures.

Got squirrels/chipmunks already? Congrats; the greenspace in your immediate neighborhood is already sufficient to support them. That's why they're there. And they hibernate.

I keep a bird feeder filled, but that's it. Ground rodents aplenty come to feed off of the mess that the sparrows make.

Wanna spoil an animal? Adopt a housecat. And keep her indoors.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
On it's own it probably won't serve much, but maybe find a way to insulate/heat it. Like with sun. Could have a double pane glass and make the inside dark or something.

Never thought of doing this myself, would not mind squirrels and chipmunks around, they can be fun. I did see a chipmunk here a few years back, managed to get it to eat from my hand. Saw a squirrel a few times too but it was gone before I got peanuts out.

Back yard neighbor has two big dogs and always playing loud music, so I don't presume there are much of any fluffy tree friends around anymore.