Icelands volcanic eruption, a good thing?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
I've been thinking about the effects of the volcanic eruption in iceland, and while it is tragic and could wreak havoc on the world economy, there are some potentially positive results from it.

For example. With the European air force grounded, that is a LOT of fuel that will not be consumed. As a result, shouldn't gas prices drop for everyone?

As well, the volcano is going to lower global temperatures (this winter is probably going to be a cold one world wide). As well, it will decrease CO2 output by a large margin (no planes = no CO2 burning).

Any thoughts to go along with my random ramblings?

May 11, 2008
I was thinking about what the chemical composition is of the exhaust of the vulcano's... It is expected that all 3 will go.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's a volcanic eruption.

it's neither good nor bad, just part of the earth's natural cycle.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The only thing good about this is that it teaches us just how small and pathetic we are compared to the capability of the planet we live on.

This one volcano in the course of a couple of weeks has probably put more pollution into the atmosphere than all of man will in the course of a year.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
You failed all your science classes and economics.

So, you are arguing that this will be good for the economy and bad for the environment (which would be the opposite view of what I have stated.) Please explain how this will be good for the economy.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
The only thing good about this is that it teaches us just how small and pathetic we are compared to the capability of the planet we live on.

This one volcano in the course of a couple of weeks has probably put more pollution into the atmosphere than all of man will in the course of a year.
but it's all natural and organic.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Any idea how much CO2 a large volcanic eruption puts out?

A Lot.

That's why the earth had huge rain forest reserves to deal with it.. But no Man went and fucked that up. We cut down most of earths natural air scrubbers and we are working on eliminating more and more.

As Professor John states, Probably enough for maybe a years worth of man made CO2. But the problem is, we can't control natural cycles of the planet CO2 production but do we have to Add to it? The volcano's in Hawaii make iceland look like a drop in the bucket unless it continues to erupt for the next million years.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
So, you are arguing that this will be good for the economy and bad for the environment (which would be the opposite view of what I have stated.) Please explain how this will be good for the economy.

that is a LOT of fuel that will not be consumed. As a result, shouldn't gas prices drop for everyone?

Econfail. :awe:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it'll be interesting to see if we have a noticably cooler summer this year.

I'm kinda hoping we do. I want to move in July and I don't want to have to reinstall my window AC's in my apartment because I already lugged them up to store in my parents house till after I move.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
A Lot.

That's why the earth had huge rain forest reserves to deal with it.. But no Man went and fucked that up. We cut down most of earths natural air scrubbers and we are working on eliminating more and more.

As Professor John states, Probably enough for maybe a years worth of man made CO2. But the problem is, we can't control natural cycles of the planet CO2 production but do we have to Add to it? The volcano's in Hawaii make iceland look like a drop in the bucket unless it continues to erupt for the next million years.

Most? Seriously?

Now see, gross exaggerations like this is why more and more people are no longer falling for the eco-religion.

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
I think the rate that a tree absorb co2 the fastest was when it was a young and a growing tree. When it reach its maximum growth, the rate it absorb oxygen will decrease and the smart thing to do would be to cut it down to made houses and furniture AND replant a young tree in its place.

I think it is a general consent for the lumber industry to for every tree cut down replant another one, else they will find themselves out of work in the near future.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Negative.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've been thinking about the effects of the volcanic eruption in iceland, and while it is tragic and could wreak havoc on the world economy, there are some potentially positive results from it.

For example. With the European air force grounded, that is a LOT of fuel that will not be consumed. As a result, shouldn't gas prices drop for everyone?

As well, the volcano is going to lower global temperatures (this winter is probably going to be a cold one world wide). As well, it will decrease CO2 output by a large margin (no planes = no CO2 burning).

Any thoughts to go along with my random ramblings?

Those affects are very temporary and won't matter in the long run.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Most? Seriously?

Now see, gross exaggerations like this is why more and more people are no longer falling for the eco-religion.

Uh, ok genius do tell us how the earth changes it's CO2 back into oxygen.

And no I'm not talking about your twigs in your back yard or replanted forest that is a drop in the bucket on the scale of million's of acres of OLD growth rain forest's the earth once had.

Your probably think it took the earth only a few hundred years to balance it self out? Well, got news for you. This has been happening for millions of years (pretty much for the entire life of the planet). Not just a few 100 years that man has evolved enough to fuck it up on a mass scale.

But I'm not sure if your worth the effort... Some people will never understand and possible can't understand or just don't want to face the facts.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
But no Man went and fucked that up. We cut down most of earths natural air scrubbers and we are working on eliminating more and more.
Phytoplankton to the rescue!

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
Tell me, what happens to prices of any product when you have an excess of said product? Or, in other words, when happens when supply is greater then the demand.
oil price is controlled by the OCSE, and this eliminates any relation between gas price and the number of planes grounded for some days.
The supply will be less if the demand is less.

A volcano eruption puts massive amounts of CO_2 in the athmosphere, so no advantage. And some days without planes flying around in northern europe won't change the CO_2 emissions for the whole year that much, since most of them are caused by the industry.

about the smoke cloud: if it gets too high it could stay around 2 years like the one in 19th century, but most scientists agree that this one will be gone in 2 weeks.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Nova did a series on Global Dimming. Very interesting. Below is the transcript of the show. I guess half the people here would not enjoy reading this but I did.

For 15 years Travis had been researching an apparently obscure topic, whether the vapor trails left by aircraft were having a significant effect on the climate. In the aftermath of 9/11 the entire US fleet was grounded, and Travis finally had a chance to find out.

DR DAVID TRAVIS: It was certainly, you know, one of the tiny positives that may have come out of this, an opportunity to do research that hopefully will never happen again.
NARRATOR: Travis suspected the grounding might make a small but detectable change to the climate. But what he observed was both immediate and dramatic.
DR DAVID TRAVIS: We found that the change in temperature range during those three days was just over one degrees C. And you have to realise that from a layman's perspective that doesn't sound like much, but from a climate perspective that is huge.
NARRATOR: One degree in just three days no one had ever seen such a big climatic change happen so fast. This was a new kind of climate change. Scientists call it Global Dimming. Two years ago most of them had never even heard of it, yet now they believe it may mean all their predictions about the future of our climate could be wrong. The trail that would lead to the discovery of Global Dimming began 40 years ago, in Israel with the work of a young English immigrant called Gerry Stanhill. A trained biologist, Gerry got a job helping to design irrigation schemes. His task was to measure how strongly the sun shone over Israel.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe the airlines should "borrow" some of the dozens of Caribbean cruise ships and use them for trans-Atlantic passenger travel, until the Iceland volcano quits spewing.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
The oceans produce most of our oxygen. Now if we get RED tide it may get even more interesting.