'IceGiant Prototype Thermosiphon Cooler Review: Frosty New Tech' - Tom's

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/icegiant-prototype-thermosiphon-cooler

I never heard of them before reading this article, and honestly I don't know why people would choose this over a cooler like the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3.

Sure it is a few degrees cooler, but it weighs almost 5 pounds, is very loud (Delta fans!?!?), and around $40 more.

usTNKDdUsJFbm8mLiqbsXW-650-80.jpg

ZAfsNVWVRMw3EkxoxcLSUU-650-80.png

wQBtKnzczYErVkSkVYNvbU-650-80.png

Feb 4, 2009
Completely ridiculous to put something that big inside a computer. Case clearance, memory, video card and so on.

Anyone have an image of that 2007ish Asus cooler that looked like a jet engine encased in plastic?

Spook

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
Understand, that picture is a prototype, and the final product is supposed to be 1/3 of the size. Also, the Fan's are also being used to get air through that thick cooler, the fans for the final product probably won't be the same.Capture 3.JPG

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Completely ridiculous to put something that big inside a computer. Case clearance, memory, video card and so on.

Anyone have an image of that 2007ish Asus cooler that looked like a jet engine encased in plastic?

35-101-201-01.jpg

I I had the Thermaltake one that had to have been Asus's inspiration. Never saw the Asus in person but they're definitely close in size.

35-106-057-01.jpg

LOL I remember I had a hellova time mounting it, I couldn't at 1st so I took it to the PC Club store around the corner and everyone there was amazed at how large it was. I bought it when it just came out and I think it was the largest cooler at the time. I was sure we'd never see anything bigger. If TT released an updated Beetle with support for Ryzen I might buy it, I really loved it. It was absolutely ginormous for the time though. It also had blue and red LED's so it was way ahead of it's time there too lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: UsandThem
Feb 4, 2009
35-101-201-01.jpg

I I had the Thermaltake one that had to have been Asus's inspiration. Never saw the Asus in person but they're definitely close in size.

35-106-057-01.jpg

LOL I remember I had a hellova time mounting it, I couldn't at 1st so I took it to the PC Club store around the corner and everyone there was amazed at how large it was. I bought it when it just came out and I think it was the largest cooler at the time. I was sure we'd never see anything bigger. If TT released an updated Beetle with support for Ryzen I might buy it, I really loved it. It was absolutely ginormous for the time though. It also had blue and red LED's so it was way ahead of it's time there too lol.

That is totally it! Good hearing about your experience with it too, thank you!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
35-101-201-01.jpg

35-106-057-01.jpg

That's a blast from the past right there. :)

I totally forgot about that "jet engine" model.

Feb 4, 2009
Back on topic well partially.....
Appears coolers have reached their maximum bang for the size, increasing size & weight doesn’t appear to add much value.
Think of it this way, if I had a 14 ton copper radiator with two eight foot fans as a push/pull set up and of course heat pipes.
Would that cooler cool tens of thousands of times better than a more modest current cooler.
I highly doubt it or it would be limited in scope as in it would cool thousands of times better for the first x seconds/minutes but then it would cool like everything else does.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I think they may have made some bad design choices if it can't be oriented for front-to-back cooling in a computer case. That being said, if this fits, a case like a Coolermaster SL600M (or similar designed bottom intake-top exhaust with standard motherboard orientation) would work well with a cooler like this.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The gimmick behind this cooler is that it uses a different kind of heatpipe than the standard wicking heatpipes used in other HSFs. It actually performs pretty well. What you see is just a prototype.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The big thermaltake heat sinks shown above have zero relation to the thermosyphon. They work off entirely different ideas.

The one listed in the first post was a design prototype that does not represent the final product. The final one still is on the bulky side, but it does work well according to the tests that LTT ran.

Feb 4, 2009
The big thermaltake heat sinks shown above have zero relation to the thermosyphon. They work off entirely different ideas.

The one listed in the first post was a design prototype that does not represent the final product. The final one still is on the bulky side, but it does work well according to the tests that LTT ran.

the relation is both coolers are ridiculously huge, at least the non prototype version is down to around 3 lbs.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I wish it was made so the air would flow front to back like most tower coolers. Interested in reading reviews of the production version when it comes out.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I wish it was made so the air would flow front to back like most tower coolers. Interested in reading reviews of the production version when it comes out.

If it did, you would not be able to install anything in that top PCI-E port.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Does the design have to be one long piece or could it be split in two like tower coolers?

Unknown. Might need to be one piece the accommodate the novel heatpipe design (or they just don't want two clusters of pipes).

Feb 4, 2009

Its not a gimmick.

He does explain why there is a cap to massive coolers well. So my theoretical question earlier of a 14 ton copper cooler would be true.
I still say it is ridiculously over sized (even the non prototype) and it only cools slightly better than an AIO.
I’d chose AIO, less space, less weight. 2 degrees C difference.

Good video thanks for posting

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Nice video. Sounds like you couldn't really make it where the fans are orientated like tower coolers and blow front to back. With the radiator having to be higher than the heat source (cpu) there isn't room in most cases to move a normal tower cooler design up that high. So, they had to design it where it is flat against the top of the case. Now if your case has the fans spots and you can go for a bottom to top air flow it seems like a nice idea.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
This idea would be tremendous for something like MonsterLabo The First case that replaces that massive heatsink.

They do believe they can design however fully passive system for anything under 150W max power draw.

Look at the size of this thing in that last video, and the fact that only with Aluminium, and without copper it can dissipate 500W of power. Fully passive, Copper based solution will be expensive, but also will be great option for Desktop market.