ICE no longer recognizing CT state pardons

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
https://www.wbur.org/news/2019/07/23/immigration-past-crimes-state-pardon-federal-hearing

This is from CT where pardons are issued by a board and not the Governor, same as in Georgia but apparently ICE recognizes those pardons.

“I actually reached out to some of my colleagues that practice in Georgia and they’ve indicated that indeed ICE does honor those pardons,” she said. “The only difference that I can see as someone who is not at the agency, is that one state has policies that are arguably very favorable to ICE’s position, whereas the other state does not.”

Now I'm sure all those "small gov't" & "states rights" conservatives will be all over this story and objecting to what ICE is doing, right? Maybe tomorrow night's lead for Hannity?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Now I'm sure all those "small gov't" & "states rights" conservatives will be all over this story and objecting to what ICE is doing, right? Maybe tomorrow night's lead for Hannity?

A--HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! (Remember to breathe.....) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Well, at least there shouldn't be any Zyklon-B in her immediate future..

Challenger

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
https://www.wbur.org/news/2019/07/23/immigration-past-crimes-state-pardon-federal-hearing

This is from CT where pardons are issued by a board and not the Governor, same as in Georgia but apparently ICE recognizes those pardons.

“I actually reached out to some of my colleagues that practice in Georgia and they’ve indicated that indeed ICE does honor those pardons,” she said. “The only difference that I can see as someone who is not at the agency, is that one state has policies that are arguably very favorable to ICE’s position, whereas the other state does not.”

No, because immigration is mandated as a power delegated to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IN THE CONSTITUTION.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
No, because immigration is mandated as a power delegated to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IN THE CONSTITUTION.

Did you read the article?

“Courts, including federal courts, have before considered Connecticut’s pardons to be effective with respect to federal immigration purposes,” said Connecticut Attorney General William Tong. “Under federal immigration law, if you receive a full, absolute and unconditional pardon from your state, you are entitled to an automatic waiver of deportation."

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

So what? States have the right to pardon. To accept pardons from any state to forego deportation is to accept them all. This is just an exercise in chickenshit authoritarianism, a long time ICE favorite.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Challenged, indeed.

...wait, that is your name right? ...lemme see....ah, fuck it, too lazy. Close enough anyway.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Challenged, indeed.

...wait, that is your name right? ...lemme see....ah, fuck it, too lazy. Close enough anyway.
I'm curious as to what he's challenging? who has the lowest IQ? who can run the fastest head first into a brick wall?

I got it, he did the pod challenge and forgot to spit out the detergent.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Trump has a lot riding on government recognizing pardons, seeing how he is going to have to pardon himself and his whole family and cabinet to keep them out of jail.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Maybe if you jump up a little higher, it won't zoom over your head.

I get high enough smoking weed to see that you were were triggered by that post. Gee, why was that? I'll take another hit and get back to you on that...