ICD 7 Test Results

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
ICD7
You didn't answer me earlier :p.

I'm going to be doing the test this afternoon.

Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Originally posted by: ICD7
Pressurefilm Instructions

Key points

Ideally I would like tests from an equal number of +/- thermal results

also note the number of your posted forum thermal result

Note heat sink and cpu on sample envelope. also note the number of your posted forum thermal result .
I was about to run this test but forgot about that the CPU needed to be cold (don't have time to let it cool off before I go out, maybe latter), but also what do you mean by the above?

Btw going by your results list ,17 of 41 people have posted results so far for the ICD 7 test.
If you like I can PM the 24 people who have yet to post results to see if they will still be able to. Though I will need a list of forum names to do that. LMK.

Actually make that 23 as I've already PMed .........

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Not long finished doing the film test on my main rig, Q6600 @3GHz with an Ultima 90.
I'm going to test my 2nd rig soon, Sempron 3100 @2.5GHz.

Contact between my Ultima 90 & CPU appears to be pretty pathetic as I suspected it would be :disgust:, it's printed a light red 'blob' about the size of a fingerprint in the middle of the CPU. As I thought some lapping needs doing, whenever I can get around to that & when I can find a solid flat surface :p.

Insidious
What did you use to lap on?

ICD7
I assume you just want the square with the red print on it right?
(btw what are those bits of paper for?).

And I guess the USA stamp won't be valid in the UK?
Don't you have a postcode? err that's zipcode to you;).

[update]
Done the film pressure test on my 2nd rig, S754 Sempron 3100 with a Zalman CNPS 7000A.
Much better result than the Ultima 90! ,fairly even very light colouring except along one edge their seems to be quite a bit of pressure.

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
Poll - what do you guys think of the Raw contact film as a diagnostic tool for contact/pressure issues?

I thought it was kinda tricky to use. I also think it takes too much pressure to get anything to show up on the film, and even though I had edge lapped my CPU I still got most of the pressure on the edge of the CPU. I think when tightening a TRUE it puts pressure on the edge of the CPU ass it rocks back and forth.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Insidious
Poll - what do you guys think of the Raw contact film as a diagnostic tool for contact/pressure issues?

It's nice as a tool to see where contact is being made, but I don't think it's of any use for pressure testing. We have no point of reference. Also, the shades of red are ambiguous at best.

-Sid
Agreed, though with the 2D pseudocolour pics it gives a much better idea of pressures :).Pitty you can't do that online.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
I can't find the stock Intel cooler that I need to do the pressure test. Ugh, I hate moving. :| :|

ICD7

Feb 29, 2008
Not to let too much time pass, but..... Only about half have reported results and before I lose you guys to summer activities and if you have time available it would be great to wrap up the testing phase.

I will be posting 16 more contact test results next week with some more following the week after.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Opps yea I've just got to post mine :eek:, though to be fair I was awaiting your PM ;) (which I've just read).I'll try to remember to post it in the next few days.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Thanks for the postings ICD7

It was an interesting experiment. Seeing the difference in contact before and after lapping made all that work feel worth the while.

-Sid

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Films posted, oh & I peeled off the USA stamp & put that inside too, obviously it's lost its sticking side but you could still use it with sticky tape ;).

At a latter point when I've lapped the HS on my quad I may post you those results too.

FMC
OMG that's making bad contact! :Q ,is that the Intel HSF?

Btw I've started playing GWs again so look out for me :), are you playing it again?

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Films posted, oh & I peeled off the USA stamp & put that inside too, obviously it's lost its sticking side but you could still use it with sticky tape ;).

At a latter point when I've lapped the HS on my quad I may post you those results too.

FMC
OMG that's making bad contact! :Q ,is that the Intel HSF?

Btw I've started playing GWs again so look out for me :), are you playing it again?

Yes, that is the Intel stock HSF and yes, it makes horrible contact. I messed with it for 2 hours just to get it there. And I'm very glad we got extras, as I used them all trying to get the damned thing on. I can not stand push pins, for obvious reasons.

And yes, I'm playing GW again. Since we moved, we have much more dependable interweb, so I've been playing more.

ICD7

Feb 29, 2008
Partial pressure film result vs reported temps-http://www.ocforums.com/showth...?p=5660913#post5660913

would Like to get the sample up to 20 to get the confidence level up, I still have 4 or 5 I have not been able to link to the thermals and another 6 out for analysis -

On an initial impression force over 45 psi seems to be the dominant factor for a positive result, and as pressure is related to contact, those that have some marginal contact (non flat) are compensated for by increasing the overall pressure.

I have not had a chance to look at all the data closely yet but a cursory look at sample 19A pressure film result shows only contact on two edges which would point to a contact issue

Still need more data but that's the way it looks to be trending.

ICD7

Feb 29, 2008
Not to let too much time pass, but..... Only about half have reported results and before I lose you guys to summer activities and if you have time available it would be great to wrap up the testing phase.

I will be posting 16 more contact test results next week with some more following the week after.