IBM unveils their Power9 chip

HiroThreading

Apr 25, 2016
Simply amazing...

I sometimes wish we saw the POWER architecture scale down to the consumer level (yes I know that we would also need to get around the x86 domination issue when it comes to software).

I'm very surprised to see PCIe 4.0 on the POWER9 chips though. I thought the specs had yet to be finalised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAAA

May 14, 2014
Zen: Daddy!

Being serious, the engineers working on this are amazing. How in the world do you get close to twice the performance than previous gen. at the same clock when you are at such a high level already?
ibm-hot-chips-power9-performance.jpg

The new modular design that allows execution resources to be split among one or two cores is interesting too, sounds a lot like reverse multi-threading if they could do that on the fly one day rather than offer separated processors. For now I'm sure it's just the same die with fused off parts that can't be enabled but the concept is there, maybe with Power 10 they'll introduce it.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Simply amazing...

I sometimes wish we saw the POWER architecture scale down to the consumer level (yes I know that we would also need to get around the x86 domination issue when it comes to software).

I'm very surprised to see PCIe 4.0 on the POWER9 chips though. I thought the specs had yet to be finalised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was at the consumer level for many, many years in a computer called a Macintosh.

Reactions: Ken g6 and MangoX

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Intel must make sure not to be stuck between a high volume low cost zen server product and this traditional brute dude. As they have a lot to lose.

Today the compettition is shaping up at serverside and there is real choice. Tell what you need and there is a optimal product for it. From fat power to slim arm.

How does the future need shape up? What is same what is different?

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
Being serious, the engineers working on this are amazing. How in the world do you get close to twice the performance than previous gen. at the same clock when you are at such a high level already?
As impressive as it is they made the comparison to a previously under-performing SMT8 mode that's why they got such a huge speed-up. Even so I'm still mighty impressed. It's going to trash Intel Xeons performance-wise. Even power8 chips are still very competitive with Xeons with twice the number of cores that were released two years later that's because power8 chips were made for very high dual and quad threaded performance(2nd thread brings 50% more performance and 4 threads about 100% HT gain is around 20% in Xeons) but 8 threaded mode seemed to be not quite done.
It seems now even SMT8 gets enough resources.
The SMT-8 mode can sometimes be a step too far for some applications, as 4 threads are now dividing up the resources of each issue queue. There are more signs that SMT-8 is rather cramped: instruction prefetching is disabled in SMT-8 modus for bandwidth reasons. So we suspect that SMT-8 is only good for very low IPC, "throughput is everything" server applications. In most applications, SMT-8 might increase the latency of individual threads, while offering only a small increase in throughput performance. But the flexibility is enormous: the POWER8 can work with two heavy threads but can also transform itself into a lightweight thread machine gun.
SMT_performanceIBM_575px.png

SMT_performanceIBM_575px.png

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Looks IBM is looking to give INTEL a fight at enterprise level again.

Be interesting to see where it goes.

Aug 11, 2008
Intel must make sure not to be stuck between a high volume low cost zen server product and this traditional brute dude. As they have a lot to lose.

Today the compettition is shaping up at serverside and there is real choice. Tell what you need and there is a optimal product for it. From fat power to slim arm.

How does the future need shape up? What is same what is different?
Right now Zen is 0 volume and totally unknown in cost, performance, and power usage. And considering the availability issues with Polaris, even if it is a competitive product, I dont think they have the resources to ramp up high volume. Seems to me Intel has a lot more to worry about vs IBM than Zen.

Reactions: Sweepr

HiroThreading

Apr 25, 2016
It was at the consumer level for many, many years in a computer called a Macintosh.

True, but that was quite a while ago. POWER chips have changed a lot since then (heck, x86 chips have changed a lot since then).

I mean, it would be nice to see a derivative of the POWER7/8/9 in the HEDT or 1S/2S market as an alternative to x86.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Right now Zen is 0 volume and totally unknown in cost, performance, and power usage. And considering the availability issues with Polaris, even if it is a competitive product, I dont think they have the resources to ramp up high volume. Seems to me Intel has a lot more to worry about vs IBM than Zen.
So that's different to power 9 how...........
IBM's far bigger issue is software, not performance. The lack of enterprise software on Power is the first and biggest hurdle, AMD has no such problems........

SAAA

May 14, 2014
As impressive as it is they made the comparison to a previously under-performing SMT8 mode that's why they got such a huge speed-up. Even so I'm still mighty impressed. It's going to trash Intel Xeons performance-wise. Even power8 chips are still very competitive with Xeons with twice the number of cores that were released two years later that's because power8 chips were made for very high dual and quad threaded performance(2nd thread brings 50% more performance and 4 threads about 100% HT gain is around 20% in Xeons) but 8 threaded mode seemed to be not quite done.
It seems now even SMT8 gets enough resources.

Yeah 24-core Broadwell is going to be severely outperformed if this monster delivers.
Anyway it will be more interesting to see how Skylake-E compares, there were no news at HotChips but if Intel finally decides to diverge server core from the mobile variant there's a chance of competition. You won't see Power 9 at 4.5W TDP and that's hurting Skylake performance a bunch: imagine what they could achieve with twice the caches, eDRAM/HMC on every processor, 4-way HT and tweaks that don't aim at 2:1 performance/power increase every time. Server workloads are too different from single users needs today, there will be a split sooner or later.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
So if a single thread can't possible use all of the resources of the SMT8 core... in what way is it still a core? Is this not just a big licensing dodge, so instead of paying Oracle licensing for 32 SMT4 cores you pay for 16 SMT8 "cores"? Is this not like if AMD had called a Bulldozer module a core?

Reactions: krumme

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
So that's different to power 9 how...........
IBM's far bigger issue is software, not performance. The lack of enterprise software on Power is the first and biggest hurdle, AMD has no such problems........

What lack of enterprise software?

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
Would be nice to see what would happen to Polaris and Zeppelin, if they were made on the same IBM developed 14nm HP process (now GlobalFoundries produced) instead of the 14nm LPP :rolleyes:

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Would be nice to see what would happen to Polaris and Zeppelin, if they were made on the same IBM developed 14nm HP process (now GlobalFoundries produced) instead of the 14nm LPP :rolleyes:
According to BitsAndChips all of them are produced in the same GloFo fab nr 8.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
What lack of enterprise software?
Just so you know i spent the last year working in an environment with more redhat on power and aix on power then x86. They have power8, as well as z13. The power decision was purely political the actual enterprise architects wanted to move it all to redhat on x86.

IBM does a good job of getting open *ix stuff cross compiled and it mostly works. But anything Microsoft (obviously) , any cloud services automation (azure stack, Vrealize, etc), there are lots of issues with middle-ware even for stuff that is well supported on power like Hana. Your standard document archive solutions (objective, trim, etc), unified communications,etc the list just goes on and on, if it wasn't midnight i might indulge you more.

Honestly in an average enterprise workplace how much as a percentage of x86 do you think you could drop in replace with power? Now how much of a standard enterprise could you drop in replace with Zen?

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
This Power to Power comparison likely compares SMT8 Power8 versus SMT8 Power9, accounting huge SMT yield increase. Not that is not incredible to increase performance by this margin in just two years.

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013

Hey the Stlit, do you know if AMD has any access to the 14HP process?

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Since 14nm HP was part of the IBM/GF deal it s likely that IBM agreement is necessary if they want to use it for another customer, and i m not sure that IBM would agree to give some help to the concurrent ISA, be it AMD..

SarahKerrigan

Oct 12, 2014
So if a single thread can't possible use all of the resources of the SMT8 core... in what way is it still a core? Is this not just a big licensing dodge, so instead of paying Oracle licensing for 32 SMT4 cores you pay for 16 SMT8 "cores"? Is this not like if AMD had called a Bulldozer module a core?

SPARC T2/T3 used a microarchitecture with hard-partitioned thread groups too, and nobody insisted that it had to be licensed as two cores. Like T2 and T3, P9-SMT8 shares an L1 cache between both thread groups, as well as certain functional units (crypto, and iirc the DFU.)

Of course it's obviously designed to maximize compute per core license, but whether that makes it less of a core is debatable.

HiroThreading

Apr 25, 2016
Yeah 24-core Broadwell is going to be severely outperformed if this monster delivers.
Anyway it will be more interesting to see how Skylake-E compares, there were no news at HotChips but if Intel finally decides to diverge server core from the mobile variant there's a chance of competition. You won't see Power 9 at 4.5W TDP and that's hurting Skylake performance a bunch: imagine what they could achieve with twice the caches, eDRAM/HMC on every processor, 4-way HT and tweaks that don't aim at 2:1 performance/power increase every time. Server workloads are too different from single users needs today, there will be a split sooner or later.

I've been thinking about this for a while too. It's pretty obvious that the one-design-fits-all approach to x86 architecture design is reaching its limits for Intel. Performance targets for the server market are hampering some of the goals of mobile, and the power limits of mobile are constraining high end server performance. Sooner or later, Intel will have to split the design of mobile/desktop and servers in two.

I suppose this was one of the reasons behind the Itanium -- just that it was perhaps ahead of its time.

But yeah, a design optimised for high performance (ultra wide, large amounts of cache) at TDPs north of 150-200w would be very interesting. With a wide enough execution engine, Intel could probably do SMT4 or SMT8?

Just so you know i spent the last year working in an environment with more redhat on power and aix on power then x86. They have power8, as well as z13. The power decision was purely political the actual enterprise architects wanted to move it all to redhat on x86.

IBM does a good job of getting open *ix stuff cross compiled and it mostly works. But anything Microsoft (obviously) , any cloud services automation (azure stack, Vrealize, etc), there are lots of issues with middle-ware even for stuff that is well supported on power like Hana. Your standard document archive solutions (objective, trim, etc), unified communications,etc the list just goes on and on, if it wasn't midnight i might indulge you more.

Honestly in an average enterprise workplace how much as a percentage of x86 do you think you could drop in replace with power? Now how much of a standard enterprise could you drop in replace with Zen?

But isn't most of what you mentioned due to the vastly different markets that POWER and x86 target?

stuff_me_good

Nov 2, 2013
No idea.
Wouldn't matter much for existing designs anyway, since they are all designed for 14nm LPP :(
I feel you bro. I just wonder how AMD engineers must feel when they can see first hand how their great design works now, while being able to see also how much better it could do with proper process, but not being able to anything to bring that great design with proper process to the market?