Question IBM POWER architecture. Cores or CPUs? Help me

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yours02

Banned
Dec 14, 2019
Hello, I found Ebay listing of old POWER 7+ server and seller state that it has dual socket and 16 CPUs and 64 cores. Is that correct? I though it should be 2 CPUs, 16 cores and 64 threads...at least that is what I got used to in Intel.
Any thoughts?

<redacted> ebay links are not allowed here
Markfw Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

yours02

Banned
Dec 14, 2019
I did read. Thats not what it says
Quote for you: "I will be more than happy to arrange a shipping for you Worldwide wherever you need the server to be shipped. I am ready to give individual approach to the customer. "
That basically means you can find out what shipping would be for you by yourself using couriers sites. Or ask seller to find the way to ship to you. If you can not wait another day - the shipping will cost you much, but if you can wait a month - you can ship that by sea for a fraction of money. Yes it still need to be packed veeery well! I think that is manageable. Or maybe you want it to be put into data-center for collocation in Russia? Maybe it is better way as far as I know electricity is cheaper in Russia than here. So you pay no shipping + save on colo...but be aware of network latency to Russia (can be 50 ms). Just an idea.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Quote for you: "I will be more than happy to arrange a shipping for you Worldwide wherever you need the server to be shipped. I am ready to give individual approach to the customer. "
That basically means you can find out what shipping would be for you by yourself using couriers sites. Or ask seller to find the way to ship to you. If you can not wait another day - the shipping will cost you much, but if you can wait a month - you can ship that by sea for a fraction of money. Yes it still need to be packed veeery well! I think that is manageable. Or maybe you want it to be put into data-center for collocation in Russia? Maybe it is better way as far as I know electricity is cheaper in Russia than here. So you pay no shipping + save on colo...but be aware of network latency to Russia (can be 50 ms). Just an idea.
Yes, I see that in the boyyom of the listing.. But a $500 server ? That probably weights over 50 lbs ? To ship to Europe, probably over $100. To the US probably $500.

NOT WORTH IT to ship it !!!!

Regardless, thats why it said local pickup. It also says "Server is located in Russia, Saint-Petersburg so it will be sold here in Russia. "

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
You seem pretty set on getting this regardless of what anyone here says. If you think you’ll be able to solve any issues you encounter with it on your own, then by all means pick it up. Don’t expect to get much help online though, doubly so if you are as combative as you’ve been with some of us. It’s a niche setup, not many people are going to have experience with it; food for thought.