Question IBM POWER architecture. Cores or CPUs? Help me

yours02

Banned
Dec 14, 2019
Hello, I found Ebay listing of old POWER 7+ server and seller state that it has dual socket and 16 CPUs and 64 cores. Is that correct? I though it should be 2 CPUs, 16 cores and 64 threads...at least that is what I got used to in Intel.
Any thoughts?

<redacted> ebay links are not allowed here
Markfw Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

yours02

Banned
Dec 14, 2019
Its 2 8 core chips that use SMT4. So its not 64core, but 64 threads.
I thank you for your opinion but I do not think you are right.

Looking at the wikipedia article Power7 is using multi-chip modules, the same tech Intel is using for some of it's mobile chips to add the eDram or the Intel chips with vega graphics. There are up to four distinct CPUs on the package that plugs into a socket.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I thank you for your opinion but I do not think you are right.

Looking at the wikipedia article Power7 is using multi-chip modules, the same tech Intel is using for some of it's mobile chips to add the eDram or the Intel chips with vega graphics. There are up to four distinct CPUs on the package that plugs into a socket.

Look again at the max core count and the SMT the Power chips use.
The max core count is 8 per chip. 2 chips X 8 cores each X 4 SMT = 64 Threads

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Do not get me wrong but I am speaking about CPUs not chips.

In this context, CPUs and “chips” are synonymous. Your question has been correctly answered multiple times, but I confess that I am concerned with your choice. If you are unable to work all of this out on your own, then I’m skeptical that this is the machine you should be purchasing.

yours02

Banned
Dec 14, 2019
In this context, CPUs and “chips” are synonymous. Your question has been correctly answered multiple times, but I confess that I am concerned with your choice. If you are unable to work all of this out on your own, then I’m skeptical that this is the machine you should be purchasing.
That was funny :) Thank you.
So if you have worked that out maybe you know why during LPAR configuration via IBM HMC the system says: "Total usable processing units" = 16 (on the screen it says 20 because it is from another machine). Or maybe IBM mean that is not central processing units?
What do you think? I am waiting for you reply Senior Member Charlie22911. Thanks.

Lpar.PNG

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
That was funny :) Thank you.
So if you have worked that out maybe you know why during LPAR configuration via IBM HMC the system says: "Total usable processing units" = 16 (on the screen it says 20 because it is from another machine). Or maybe IBM mean that is not central processing units?
What do you think? I am waiting for you reply Senior Member Charlie22911. Thanks.

View attachment 14420

Glad I could provide some entertainment, perhaps you will also find the product specification guide for the server you linked equally entertaining. More to the point, page 16:

And in case you need me to hold your hand:
0E35B63F-B0DD-427B-BD66-AE1953C82DB2.jpeg

So as stated above, 2x 8 core CPUs with 4-way SMT = 64 threads.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Logical Partition is basically a vm. In this context processing units = vcores. It is of course not CPU, or they would have said CPU.

Last edited:

yours02

Banned
Dec 14, 2019
Logical Partition is basically a vm. In this context processing units = vcores. It is of course not CPU, or they would have said CPU.
No. As you can see on my screenshot processing units seems to be real cores!
What a mess IBM has with cpu\vcore\core\thread meanings!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No. As you can see on my screenshot processing units seems to be real cores!
What a mess IBM has with cpu\vcore\core\thread meanings!

Vcores in the sense that you can have multiple lopars with combined processing units greater than the total physical cores.

What exactly are you trying to do with that system?

yours02

Banned
Dec 14, 2019
Vcores in the sense that you can have multiple lopars with combined processing units greater than the total physical cores.

What exactly are you trying to do with that system?
I just think that this server is underestimated for now on the auction. Even if it has 16 cores and 64 threads still the best CPU setup for that P7+ generation

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
The auction still has 5 days left. I don't know how it works with items like this, but in my experience on ebay, if the item really is something people want, usually the price has the most movement when there's less than a day left. It's not uncommon for ebay auctions to have anywhere from a 2x to a 10x jump in price just in the final hours of an auction. I also don't know how much people will really want that server, I mean, the Power7 line launched almost 10 years ago now.

Reactions: Jimzz

yours02

Banned
Dec 14, 2019
The auction still has 5 days left. I don't know how it works with items like this, but in my experience on ebay, if the item really is something people want, usually the price has the most movement when there's less than a day left. It's not uncommon for ebay auctions to have anywhere from a 2x to a 10x jump in price just in the final hours of an auction. I also don't know how much people will really want that server, I mean, the Power7 line launched almost 10 years ago now.
It is not POWER7 but POWER7+ that was released in 2013. So it is not that old.
Do you expect price to go up in the end of auction? Seems like bid are been made

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
It is not POWER7 but POWER7+ that was released in 2013. So it is not that old.
Do you expect price to go up in the end of auction? Seems like bid are been made

The 740 Express released in 2010 with a Power7 CPU, not Power7+.

You never know with an auction, but typically if an item really is desirable, more people will see it as it nears the end of auction which means more people will bid driving the price higher. Again, not like this is a rule or anything, just what typically happens for in demand stuff.

yours02

Banned
Dec 14, 2019
The 740 Express released in 2010 with a Power7 CPU, not Power7+.

I believe that is 740 Express with P7+ CPU because of highCPU clock. 4.2Ghz were availabe on P7+ only and that comes with 160 Mb L3 cache in total for the server.

I think for anyone here to give an honest assessment, it’d help to know what you aim to do with it.
I want it because of high amount of memory and powerful CPU. A lot of memory helps to develop programs without optimization in first place. I am dealing with C, fortrun, numpy