IBM NetVista 8305 Graphics Card?

Phinja

Feb 6, 2012
I have IBM NetVista 8305, 2.44ghz with the max ram of 2GB and wondering, will any of these work?:

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
Not one of those cards will come even close to running a modern game.

That is a total lie. The 9800 Pro, one of the best cards of its time, can still run Crysis to this day on my old pentium 4 ;)

All be it, on low settings. Still has relatively decent FPS though :)

Last edited:

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
As RavenSEAL said, none of those cards will play any new games.
If you just want to know the fastest of all of those, it would be the 9800XT.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
That is a total lie. The 9800 Pro, one of the best cards of its time, can still run Crysis to this day on my old pentium 4 ;)

Modern games buddy, Crysis is circa 2007 and horribly optimized.

Phinja

Feb 6, 2012
Will this one work?
HIS Radeon HD 4650 1 GB DDR3 HDMI DL-DVI (HDCP) AGP Video Card Retail (RoHS) H465F1GHA? Suggest any better ones if you can please...

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Assuming you want to play older games...

Any of them will work, but don't bother with the NVidia FX series. The 6-series will be much better in every way. A 6600GT should not be hard to come by, and runs cool enough that it should still be alive. A 6800GT might be, too, but expect one of those to be loud.

You can also get a Radeon 9800XT. The 9800 PRo is hotter and slightly slower. No point in bothering, if an XT is available. If going for older games, the Radeon 9800XT would be what I would pick (FYI: I have just such an old XP box with a 9600XT in it).

Running Windows XP, you get your choice of drivers. Older drivers, from times when the cards were current offerings, will tend to be optimized better for them, while newer drivers will be more compatible with newer games.

On the Radeon side of things, if you run XP, you can use ATI Catalyst drivers, which will tend to be fast but flaky, or AMD Legacy Catalysts drivers, which are pretty solid, but performance may not be the best (they've been crash free for me, support the TV outs, and play most old games OK, which is good enough for me!).

If it is a run of the mill office type computer, however, you should just get a brand new card, like that Radeon HD 4xxx, for video offloading and such (better yet, a 5xxx series card). There's a chance that it may be quite fast in games, as well, compared to the older ones, but performance seems to be a crapshoot with new GPUs on AGP bridges.

Last edited:

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005

Perhaps it CAN run it, but it doesn't mean it is playable. My 7900GT couldn't run Crysis at playable fps so I don't really see a 9800 pro doing it.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Will this one work?
HIS Radeon HD 4650 1 GB DDR3 HDMI DL-DVI (HDCP) AGP Video Card Retail (RoHS) H465F1GHA? Suggest any better ones if you can please...

The 4650 is a good low-end gaming card, the problem is that the AGP version is quite expensive and you're looking at putting it in a really inadequate system. You should be saving up for a new computer, not putting money into that thing.