IB-E socket 2011 upgrade path?

dsc106

May 31, 2012
Saw that the IB-E chips were releasing in Fall 2013 but seeing inconsistent rumors or info. Some say they will again have 6 cores... others say 8-10 cores?

I currently have 6-core 3930k SB-E and was *hoping* with the IB-E to gain core (8-10 core chip would be great) but wondering if this is likely?

AND, if the core count remains the same at 6-core, if it is even worth upgrading to IB-E in the fall?

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Wherever you are reading about 10 core IB-E CPUs is talking BS, my bet would be that it will stay at 6 core to protect the xeon market.

Assuming they stay at 6 core (which is on the cards) you have no reason whatsoever to upgrade.

BTW this is a completely baseless opinion because you decided to offer absolutely no information about your usage scenario. Try giving us some information next time you want a decent answer.

dsc106

May 31, 2012
Good point, sorry. I do video editing and some photos/graphics.

I would like my platform to last a long time as I invested in 64gb DDR3 RAM and H80 CPU cooler for socket 2011. Was hoping to get a more substantial upgrade from IB-E but sounds like I may be more interested in Haswell Extreme 8-10 cores further down the road?

Does Haswell use DDR3? And is there a Haswell E on the roadmap?

How much longer should I see strong use from my platform before a truly worthwhile upgrade platform appears (i.e. 30%-ish+ speed increase and more core, around 8-10)

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Haswell will be DDR3. And Haswell E will come out on a new socket.

And I believe Haswell E does exist since they (for as long as i can remember) have had an enthusiast platform

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Haswell will be DDR3. And Haswell E will come out on a new socket.

And I believe Haswell E does exist since they (for as long as i can remember) have had an enthusiast platform

Haswell-E will be DDR4. I wouldn't expect to hear any credible info on core count for at least another year. Would be nice if H-E had an 8 core option (doubt it would be higher than that).

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
How much longer should I see strong use from my platform before a truly worthwhile upgrade platform appears (i.e. 30%-ish+ speed increase and more core, around 8-10)
If your software goes and uses AVX2 well, not too long, but you'll be looking at another socket, at the least. But, divining the future like that is difficult. You'll know when something that much better comes along when it comes. We can all hope and anticipate, but it's not like you'll see a 30% lock boost any time soon, which would generally assure better performance.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Haswell-E will be DDR4. I wouldn't expect to hear any credible info on core count for at least another year. Would be nice if H-E had an 8 core option (doubt it would be higher than that).

It will be? Oops. My bad. Thought they'd stick around for DDR3 a little longer.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Saw that the IB-E chips were releasing in Fall 2013 but seeing inconsistent rumors or info. Some say they will again have 6 cores... others say 8-10 cores?

I currently have 6-core 3930k SB-E and was *hoping* with the IB-E to gain core (8-10 core chip would be great) but wondering if this is likely?

AND, if the core count remains the same at 6-core, if it is even worth upgrading to IB-E in the fall?

If you can afford it, you can probably pick up a single socket Xeon SB-EP with more cores after IB-EP is out (and the SB-EP CPUs drop in price).

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com

3 processors all are 6 core. I flashed my BIOS already, waiting for CPU to come out and grab the 4930k

End of September its coming out.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com

The 3 Ivy E models or I believe 4 ,, are all 6 core 12 threads.

No 8 core unless in 2014 Haswell puts out a 8 core. gl