Question i9 9900K OC help!

ChrispyjBMW

Dec 6, 2018
I just built a gaming rig last week and now I trying to OC.

Motherboard is the Aorous Master from Gigabyte and I keep getting BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Has anyone experienced this? if so how were you able to solve this? Please advise. All perspectives are welcome.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
To expand on what @alcoholbob is saying, it would help if you told us your UEFI settings. What CPU multiplier are you trying to use? What vcore? List as much information as you can, or grab screenshots if the UEFI permits it.

ChrispyjBMW

Dec 6, 2018
To expand on what @alcoholbob is saying, it would help if you told us your UEFI settings. What CPU multiplier are you trying to use? What vcore? List as much information as you can, or grab screenshots if the UEFI permits it.

My apologies for being too brief. to you and @alcoholbob I'm using 50 as the multiplier for 5.0GHz.

Stock Vcore is 1.2, I tried 1.275, 1.3, 1.375 and back down to 1.325

Ive turned XMP on so I can get the full 3600 from my RAM at 1.35v which I think that is the highest for that.. I've turned LLC to turbo and I don't care to go extreme on that setting..

I will try and take pics this evening after my PT job with my phone and upload them to here but this is all I have for now.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
My apologies for being too brief. to you and @alcoholbob I'm using 50 as the multiplier for 5.0GHz.

Stock Vcore is 1.2, I tried 1.275, 1.3, 1.375 and back down to 1.325

Ive turned XMP on so I can get the full 3600 from my RAM at 1.35v which I think that is the highest for that.. I've turned LLC to turbo and I don't care to go extreme on that setting..

I will try and take pics this evening after my PT job with my phone and upload them to here but this is all I have for now.

Thanks. Also . . .

Have you tried OCing to 4.0 GHz, then increasing the OC?

See if you can hit 4.8 first at 1.35v or less.

Agree with both of you here. Try stepwise overclocking. Usually my first step is to see how high I can get my CPU to run without adjusting any voltages at all. Then I'll set my voltages at my comfort level (usually +10% of stock is "safe"; anything else is going to be based on my cooling) and see how much higher I can get. Granted modern systems are getting pretty complicated with all the different voltages you can tweak, so you have to have a basic understanding of what each voltage settings affects wrt stability and tune accordingly.

Also, you have to watch for temps and power draw.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
The other thing is XMP can make CPU overclocks unstable depending on the motherboard. 5GHz isn't that hard to hit for a 9900K and your RAM speed is pretty fast so your board might be having issues with XMP settings. You might wanna try to turn off XMP and manually tune RAM speeds and timings and that might make it possible for you to hit 5GHz on the CPU.

Reactions: ZGR

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
The other thing is XMP can make CPU overclocks unstable depending on the motherboard. 5GHz isn't that hard to hit for a 9900K and your RAM speed is pretty fast so your board might be having issues with XMP settings. You might wanna try to turn off XMP and manually tune RAM speeds and timings and that might make it possible for you to hit 5GHz on the CPU.

After upgrading to much faster RAM, my overclock became unstable.

elpokor

May 22, 2017
for some unfathomable reason, it looks like MoBo makers did not get the memo about the improved memory controller on 14nm+(+) Coffee Lake so they keep shoving the same voltages as Skylake. From my own testing and lurking BIOS forums, seems that most MoBos default to 1.30VccIO and 1.35VccSA for 3600Mhz and up. Some of them apply 1.25VccIO and 1.30VccSA for 3600Mhz but anything above gets the bump to 1.30VccIO and 1.35VccSA. Some of them (ASRock) even raise VccST from 1.000V to 1.200V which is absolutely not needed at all unless you're overclocking with LN2.

for 4000Mhz (no matter what CAS), the voltages should look like:
· 1.200VccSA ± 0.025
· 1.150VccIO ± 0.025
· 1.000VccST
(fix it to 1.0 and never care again, this voltage is NOT related to memory OC although some MoBos raise it when enabling XMP)
· VDimm depends on your particular setup and silicon quality, but this setting is written on the SPD of the DDR4 stick so if you're not tweaking latencies just use the Auto XMP value.memtest 4000 16-17-17-34-360-2T 1,43Vdimm 1,15VccIO 1,20VccSA+tweak3ds.png

so I'd guess that for your 3600Mhz XMP @ChrispyjBMW the BIOS settings should be close to:
· 1.150VccSA ± 0.025
· 1.100VccIO ± 0.025

· the usual fixed 1.000VccST in case your board mess it up like mine does when enabling XMP
· Auto VDIMM (1.35V)

Alternatively, you can try the same voltages I used for 4000Mhz but don't overshoot because it won't help stability, it will in fact make the memory spit out errors more frequently. Your Vcore seems enough and the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE is usually related to memory so give it a shot.