i7 or not ?

guy93

Aug 2, 2008
i am about to get a new pc for myself, just one thing im curious, im a counter strike source player so i need a cpu that can juice the cpu. would i be good with a duo core for now and then upgrade to a quad in the future ? or shud i go straight to i7 now ? is getting an i7 even worth for gaming ?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
*sigh*

You could run CS:S with a hamster/wheel combo. I think there may be a deal in the Fry's ad scan for this weekend, i'll try and track it down for you.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Counter Strike would run fine on a single 4850, 2GB memory and a E7200 stock.

What do you have now? Is that all you're doing with the system? Counter Strike?

If you were running far Cry 2, UT3, etc then I could recommend more.

You want a Quad? IMO don't go for i7 right now, maybe wait...see if prices fall on memory and mobos. A Q9450/9550 is what I'd consider right at this moment.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Dude, if I heard that you bought an i7 so you could play cs:s, I'd cry a little inside. Then I'd probably cry a little on the outside too. the comments about going dual core up above are well stated.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
One thing you should know is that you can't get a C2D now and upgrade to an i7 without upgrading your motherboard too.

guy93

Aug 2, 2008
yeah thats why i wanted to know if i will ever need an i7 for gaming purposes

tim924

Oct 8, 2008
Originally posted by: guy93
yeah thats why i wanted to know if i will ever need an i7 for gaming purposes

Even for gaming purpose,it's really up to how much you are willing to spend for the extra performance,if you are gonna sli/crossfire with some high-end GPUs,i7 will definitely show its edge over core 2.Anyways lets put it this way:in case your budget doesnt limit your options,i7 is the best choice at this point,but for people with a tight budget dont bother with i7(yet).

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Sooner you'll get bored from playing CS:S than need an i7 for gaming. Get an E7200 now and a 9600GT or something and see the new equipment blow your old one so far away you'd be having problems locating it in our solar system - if you want to upgrade (I would imagine so, with that setup).

Will you ever need an i7 for gaming? Unless there's a game written that has a perfect engine which can fully utilize running 8 threads, I'd say no. And since that is as likely as getting a high-end card on launch day for 100? I'd say save yourself the regrets later on and don't buy i7 :)

eternalone

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2008
I agree core 2 Duo or wait till january for deneb and get 4gb of ddr2 wich will run you $40 bucks compared to $200 DDR3 wich may or may not perform all that faster yet.

tim924

Oct 8, 2008
Originally posted by: Qbah
Sooner you'll get bored from playing CS:S than need an i7 for gaming. Get an E7200 now and a 9600GT or something and see the new equipment blow your old one so far away you'd be having problems locating it in our solar system - if you want to upgrade (I would imagine so, with that setup).

Will you ever need an i7 for gaming? Unless there's a game written that has a perfect engine which can fully utilize running 8 threads, I'd say no. And since that is as likely as getting a high-end card on launch day for 100? I'd say save yourself the regrets later on and don't buy i7 :)

The word regret is for people who dont know they want,imo in worse case i7 will cost you maybe $200-$300 extra over core 2,but why regret?Just get it back in 2-3 days of work.Only problem I see here is affordability realistically not some regret or Do i need i7 for gaming(ideally i wouldnt even recommend a E7200 for gaming,for those who are on a budget and cant live without games,PS3 is superior in everyway and cost less).

VI3L

Oct 14, 2005
Man I am in love with my new PC, I can't pick my jaw up off the floor............I say go I7!
I don't think I can describe how fast this thing really is...I run games, scan anti virus and spyware, burn dvds and open random crap all at the same time...I can't slow it down at stock speeds lol..........

BTW if you do go I7 www.ncix.com has the new Thermalright ultra 120 Extreme cooler for I7 in stock, but hurry cause they will sell out soon!