i7 950 to replace i7 940, i7 975 to replace i7 965

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
Originally posted by: demiurge3141
Originally posted by: Idontcare

If someone has the dough to buy a 965 system but doesn't care to clock it above stock clocks then trust me they don't need our pity, they are flyin thru life in a pretty stress free relaxed lifestyle. I'm pretty sure Brittany Spears has the absolute best computer money can buy, and I'm pretty sure it is not overclocked, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't need us to feel any pity for her suffering with an over-priced under-clocked computer :p She'll get by. Lord I would love to (a) have the money, and (b) have so little demands on my time that I could buy extreme chips and run them at stock settings just because I can :)

(apologies in advance for making a Britney Spears analogy, I feel...sullied...just a little.)

I am uncertain of Britney's computer status. Perhaps she is still on single core.

I heard she spawned a child process out of thread lock.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
er...out of thread lock? You guys are killing me :laugh:

Originally posted by: daw123
Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase the I7 940 soon, but if they are releasing a faster stock replacement with new stepping (I7 950) for the same price, I may wait.

Any ideas when the I7 950 is likely to be released; I know the articles says Q2 '09, but do you guys know if this will be early Q2 (April time) or late Q2? If its earlier, then I'll wait, since the article indicated that the 950 will have better o/c headroom.

It'll be interesting to see how the 950 compares to the 965 at stock speeds.

Cheers.

The release is supposed to be happening in March timeframe from what internet rumors I have heard. I know nothing, don't think I am being coy with insider info or anything.

The Q2/09 reference is supposed to mean that by the time we are in Q2/09 there are supposed to be no 940's or 965's left on the open market.

That seems optimistic, but if that is the plan then it would suggest that the timeline for releasing D0 is tightly dependent on how quickly inventories of 940's and 965's are sold out. Would be kind of silly for Intel to release the 975's and 950's while there is still a warehouse or two full unsold 940's and 965's if you know what I mean.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
er...out of thread lock? You guys are killing me :laugh:

Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase the I7 940 soon, but if they are releasing a faster stock replacement with new stepping (I7 950) for the same price, I may wait.

Any ideas when the I7 950 is likely to be released; I know the articles says Q2 '09, but do you guys know if this will be early Q2 (April time) or late Q2? If its earlier, then I'll wait, since the article indicated that the 950 will have better o/c headroom.

It'll be interesting to see how the 950 compares to the 965 at stock speeds.

Cheers.

The release is supposed to be happening in March timeframe from what internet rumors I have heard. I know nothing, don't think I am being coy with insider info or anything.

The Q2/09 reference is supposed to mean that by the time we are in Q2/09 there are supposed to be no 940's or 965's left on the open market.

That seems optimistic, but if that is the plan then it would suggest that the timeline for releasing D0 is tightly dependent on how quickly inventories of 940's and 965's are sold out. Would be kind of silly for Intel to release the 975's and 950's while there is still a warehouse or two full unsold 940's and 965's if you know what I mean.

I see what you mean; it makes sense. Thanks for your insight.

So guys and girls hurry up and buy your 940s and 965s whilst they are still for sale. I'm sure the 950s and 975s will be terrible chips and bad overclockers ;)

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
So guys and girls hurry up and buy your 940s and 965s whilst they are still for sale. I'm sure the 950s and 975s will be terrible chips and bad overclockers ;)

:thumbsup:

:laugh:

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
The articles I have read about the new stepping and indeed the new 950 and 975, seem to indicate that they will be better overclockers than their predecessors. However, I guess this cannot be confirmed until the new chips become mainstream whereby people can share their o'cing experiences and you will get a general overview of the new CPUs capabilities. Indeed, even now, it seems to be luck of the draw; certain batches of the 920 generally seem to overclock better than other batches.

What I'm trying to say is that its a bit of a gamble - the new versions may turn out to be worse overclockers.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
i am still waiting for the i5 or whatever it is called... with normal pricing, a P55 mobo, and a dual chanel ram controller.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Woohoo my car didn't bankrupt me - it cost £150 for the MOT and sorting out the brakes.

I have finances left.

Come on Intel; the quicker you release the I7 950, the quicker I buy.

Guys, is there any update on a release date yet? I know it was only announced a couple of weeks ago, but hey I'm crossing my fingers :)

Do you recon its a safe bet to buy the MB and RAM now or do think prices may drop around the time that the 950 is released? If there's not a hope in hells chance, then I'll order the MB and RAM this weekend.

MB: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 £230
RAM: 3x2GB Corsair Memory DDR3 1600Mz 8-8-8-24 £170

Total for MB and RAM: £400 inc VAT

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
If someone has the dough to buy a 965 system but doesn't care to clock it above stock clocks then trust me they don't need our pity, they are flyin thru life in a pretty stress free relaxed lifestyle. I'm pretty sure Brittany Spears has the absolute best computer money can buy, and I'm pretty sure it is not overclocked, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't need us to feel any pity for her suffering with an over-priced under-clocked computer :p She'll get by. Lord I would love to (a) have the money, and (b) have so little demands on my time that I could buy extreme chips and run them at stock settings just because I can :)

(apologies in advance for making a Britney Spears analogy, I feel...sullied...just a little.)

IDC - ANYONE but her!?!?!? Why not Al Gore? Or Barack? Or George Will? BRITNEY? I doubt she even knows what a computer IS?!?!?! The little CPU in her head is the equivalent of a Z-80...

That's OK, there'll probably be no solvent national-scale banks by then either :p

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: aigomorla
Originally posted by: TidusZ
I think he should just give it to you and see what it can do on phase. He can see his little baby grow up and be all that he can be.

his phase wont take it.

his phase is a standard phase.

For him to push it to the levels he want, he would burn his compressor out in a matter of months.

Retire means i will most likely pass it down my chain.
The day i start killing 1000 dollar chips for fun, is my wife getting mad at me and breaking it. (good thing im not married yet tho).

I think I should be on your chain. :p

I got the raw end of one of the "crappy" 920's, so I can only get 4.0GHz stable for daily use, 3.6GHz for Folding. I shouldn't be complaining because at least I get good temps on water...

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Originally posted by: ganesh1
i surely would like to look at the faces of the sorry suckers who bought a 3.0 ghz chip for 999$$ :)) muahahahahahahha
If someone has the dough to buy a 965 system but doesn't care to clock it above stock clocks then trust me they don't need our pity, they are flyin thru life in a pretty stress free relaxed lifestyle. I'm pretty sure Brittany Spears has the absolute best computer money can buy, and I'm pretty sure it is not overclocked, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't need us to feel any pity for her suffering with an over-priced under-clocked computer :p She'll get by.

you never know. she might have a single core desktop and be quite happy with it.

would you want to be her computer tech ?

i'd guess that she bought something recent & stylish, like a Mac laptop, so probably dual core.