i7 8700k higher usage after changing UEFI Settings

Jornak

Aug 4, 2019
Hello

So yeah I'm rather nervous right now.

To solve fps drops I tried meddling with RAM settings, timings and BCLK but afterwards when entering my PIN at windows lockscreen the numbers showed up with a 2-3 seconds delay and everything else is unresponsive too.....So I immediately went back to UEFI and did a reset to optimized settings....but the problem persists

And the Stutter in all Games got even worse, the pattern is still the same, though.

My Specs:
i7 8700k
gtx 1070
corsair 16gb ram 2666mhz
seasonic 650w

I've run Intels Diagnostic's tool and it passed
I've run memtest64 AND Windows RAM test (which runs at bootup) - no errors found :/

It would be terrible if my CPU is broken...RAM is easy to relpace, so I actually hope it is indeed the RAM

Do you need any specific Information? I'll happily provide them as fast as I can

EDIT: Forgot to mention something important: Temps are fine, everything is running cool (gpu highest temp between 60 and 70 Ingame and 40-45c @Idle without active fan) - cpu at 35-40 when idle and up to 60 when ingame without OC

I've also tried:
- Checking HDD and SSD status through CrystalDiskInfo
- I've run 2 scans, one through malewarebyte's Anti-M and one through Eset
I'll plan on doing CHDSK tonight, too, if I can't solve this until then, that is

Last edited:

Jornak

Aug 4, 2019
I've run Eset and Malewarebyte's AntiMalware, forgot to mention that also....I just hope the CPU isn't broken that is my main concern any Idea on how I can find this out? Not sure if StressTest is enough

Jornak

Aug 4, 2019
I need to Edit my first Post and add everything that I've forgot (or had no time) to mention.

I've got CrystalDiskInfo and both are supposed to be fine, they don't have high usage, too - could still be a dying HDD or SSD even when CrystalDiskInfo shows both as "good" right? but wouldn't the Usage be very high, too?

I ran eset and malewarebyte again, still no findings, now an online scan....Is there some CPU/RAM Experst on this Forum?
I'm trying to restore my system to the 11.08, problem started today...so maybe it works

Last edited:

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Hope you have a backup. If not I would do a full backup ASAP. If nothing else works, maybe a clean re-install of Windows would solve the problem.

Jornak

Aug 4, 2019
@ondma do you think it really is HDD/SSD related even though the Usage for both (SSD and HDD) is pretty normal?
I do want to create a complete Backup but I don't have any additional HDD or Datastorage - Small-Sized Data is always saved on USB (Documents etc) and I think that is most important.

I've tried to roll back the System to the 11.08.2019 through System-Restore, but it failed, even in Safe Mode, saying that it failed because of Nvidia or Antivirus.

Nothing pointed to my GPU being the problem - at least not regarding higher CPU usage, but when I reinstalled the Driver it seemed to have helped, my PC is now much more responsive.

But why was the CPU usage higher than normal? I'll do some further testing

I'll run Unigine Superstition to test GPU stability - first small/short test revealed low "lowest" fps, those are at 1 or 5fps, everything else seems to be running as expected (highest fps etc) - will provide Screenshot when I'm done.

btw: Same goes for my other GTX1070 (Asus Dual OC) which I've recently bought in hope of solving fps drops.
So either ALL GTX 1070 (factory OC) do have this problem or it's something else entirely.

FPS drops persisted even when using them in Sli - I was even able to run The Witcher 3 60fps @4k but it always dropped by 3-5fps it just can't keep constant fps, no matter the game, usage or settings/resolution - always same fps drops

Edit: Problem persists. Still alot slower when opening new windows or opening files etc. Sheesh...

Last edited:

Jornak

Aug 4, 2019
I'm sorry for the doublepost, but I've got new information (userbenchmark).

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19307329

I need to change some settings and repeat this benchmark but maybe this gives you a general idea

Edit: repeated after closing all unneeded tasks and ending MSI Afterburner, is my gpu or ssd dying?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19307493

Edit²: My FPS are now at 45/56 or 58 when playing Dark Souls 3 not even reaching 60 anymore (on 1080p), while 60FPS were no problem for anything below 4k

What I want to try next:
Enabling CPU onboard GPU and see if it gets any better
Change GPU's PSU cable
Insert the GPU into the second PCIE Slot

Also having Buzzing over Headphones (Rear/Motherboard Audio) corresponding to me changing tabs (firefox) or opening new tabs (or opening/closing windows )etc.

I reached my limit, seriously.

Any further Ideas or sugesstions?

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Something is set wrong in the BIOS. Since your GPU is performing way below expectation, I would check PCI-E settings in the BIOS. Check Quickpath settings as well.

I do not think anything is dying, though. I have experienced similar issues in the past and they were all related to BIOS.

Jornak

Aug 4, 2019
Thank you for your reply, lopri.

I thought so, too, but it still happened after I've done BIOS factory reset......BUT after performing a Windows 10 clean install the performance went back to "normal", the small fps drops still happen, but that is another problem.

It is really strange, as it happened on 2 almost completely different systems AND my Laptop (gtx 1050ti, i5 7300HQ 4core) - the same pattern on every configuration.

Maybe it is the RAM? Laptop had poor 8gb RAM and my old Rig had Samsung 8gb single RAM, after upgrading to my current corsair 16gb 2666mhz c16: Games getting up to +20fps

Not sure if I should cancel my Monitor order and buy 3200mhz c16 ram instead

Last edited:

Jornak

Aug 4, 2019
please forgive me this double post, but I'd like to share new information and I'm afraid they'd go unnoticed, if I only edit my last post.

Here's my newest Userbenchmark (after Win10 clean install - CPU would perform better, but I've disabled OC using only Intel's Turbo Boost): https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19372309

Now the SSD seems to perform much better, but the HDD still underperforms, I think the fps drops are caused by something else entirely, though (instead of buying a monitor I'll go for a HDD), as fps drops happen in games on hdd as well as games on ssd.

Those drops happen even when above TV refresh (60hz) rate lol - when it drops from 90 to 87 [example] how can this even be?

Can't figure out what to try next, I've canceled my Monitor order as it wouldn't help anyway (probably) since I don't believe it is caused by slow hdmi transmission/transfer(even bought a new one able to handle 4k 60fps - no difference).

No experts around?
Is there a forum more suited for this kind of specific problem?
I know it's hard to help from the distance (gettibg more dificult the more specific the problem is), but I'll happily provide additional information, if needed.