Question i7 7700k to i7 12700k worth it ?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Mainly for gaming but maybe some Virtual Machines too.

Edit: Thanks everyone got one for $200 brand new!

Last edited:
Reactions: blckgrffn

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
console gamers usually focus on playing the games and having fun rather than boosting the performance of the different components.
I don't know about you, but I'm definitely having fun when playing games on my PC.

It's also very interesting that you think people tinkering with their PCs aren't having fun. It's almost as if people talking about computers in this forum aren't entertained either. Is your presence here a school or work assignment of sorts?

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
My PC already plays Series X games to my satisfaction, so there is no sense in getting one of those.

I would be looking at either PS5 or Switch/Switch 2 to tide me over.

Once DDR5 platforms become sensible, I will hopefully be able to upgrade to something with far stronger IPC and core count.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Ranulf
Jul 27, 2020
I don't know about you, but I'm definitely having fun when playing games on my PC.

It's also very interesting that you think people tinkering with their PCs aren't having fun. It's almost as if people talking about computers in this forum aren't entertained either. Is your presence here a school or work assignment of sorts?
Busy people don't have the time to tinker. As you get older, time becomes more and more valuable. I like PCs because I can install whatever I want and change whatever I want. But I don't spend my time in the BIOS. I will probably do that when my PC is EOL. Then I will try to squeeze the last bit of performance out of it in a pretty reckless manner, since if it dies, it was time to upgrade it anyway. The overclock might give me an additional one or two years. Everyone's philosophy in such things is different. And I know I can't be alone in my thinking. There are people like you and then there are people like me and then there are even more categories of people who don't resemble us in any way. That's just what humans do. Everyone brings something unique to the table.

Reactions: Zucker2k and CP5670
Jul 27, 2020
I would be looking at either PS5 or Switch/Switch 2 to tide me over.
Except a PS5 is more expensive than a decent gaming PC right now. You will either wait quite a bit or buy a new PC anyway. The only thing PS5 has is some exclusive titles but they are not worth the current price of admission. And then Sony will release a PS5 Pro mid-cycle for 8K gaming. I really don't feel like getting a PS5 or Xbox Series X until the mid-cycle hardware refresh.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I used to spend a lot of time tinkering, but it's not worth the time spent anymore. Most stuff now is pretty close to its limits out of the box. 10-20 years ago you could get 50% real performance in games with OCing, and the games were much more resource constrained, but it's definitely not the case anymore. GPU OCing is still somewhat worth it, but even there you need custom cooling. I focus on PC gaming for many other reasons, like mods and custom content, indie games, VR, better multiplayer and the fact that I have a huge existing library of PC games and mods built up over 30 years.

Last edited:

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Except a PS5 is more expensive than a decent gaming PC right now. You will either wait quite a bit or buy a new PC anyway. The only thing PS5 has is some exclusive titles but they are not worth the current price of admission. And then Sony will release a PS5 Pro mid-cycle for 8K gaming. I really don't feel like getting a PS5 or Xbox Series X until the mid-cycle hardware refresh.

I'm not buying anything until the chip shortage alleviates and things fall closer to MSRP. I much prefer Sony's exclusives over MSFT's. And, despite this, I can still play MSFT exclusives on my PC. Don't care at all about 8K gaming. Don't even care much about 4K gaming tbh.

I've had my PS4 since 2014 and it's been one of the best purchases of my life. During that time, I've been able to update my PC with far more cost-effective parts.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It's no longer a priority for me. My gaming activities are mostly racing and flight simulators. I don't do any video encoding to speak of.

Up and running now after this last year's hardware "episodes" (like the static-charge with my vaping pen), I don't see much need for anything faster than this Kaby-Lake systems @ 4.9Ghz. As for overclocking, I don't think 4.9 makes that much difference over the stock settings. I use half my 32GB of 3200 RAM for caching NVME, SATA SSD and HDDs in the system, and there's a 250GB NVME caching the slower drives. I don't have to wait for anything.

I'm a bit weary of "keeping up". I need my computer(s) to manage my money and documents, communication, entertainment. I'm not going to notice much difference in getting an 11th-gen INtel processor, new motherboard and RAM.

I don't know anyone in my non-Anandtech circle of friends who is salivating over some 10th or 11th-gen octo-core system. My dentist buys corporate IT asset recycles, running older Xeon systems. My friend the retired Navy electronics tech is still using a Core-2-Duo desktop, and his laptop selections are older than five years. My friend across town who used to work in the IT department of a local junior college also buys old computers -- three at a time he said recently -- but he's not rocking anything more than quad-core systems in OEM boxes.

I"ll tell ya what I'm thinking about, though! I might want a new Android tablet for my SUV audio and navigation system. Maybe a Samsung. But again -- that's saying I "want" it, but the need is not so great that I can't wait a couple months.