Question i7 7700k to i7 12700k worth it ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Mainly for gaming but maybe some Virtual Machines too.

Edit: Thanks everyone got one for $200 brand new!

Last edited:
Reactions: blckgrffn

Liljames326

Dec 24, 2021
Quads are no longer suitable for modern software.
the only problem i found with my 7700k was windows 11. which microsoft has only been more and more trash for constricting even tighter on their forced use of their bullcrap "features," but is really the only os for gaming so.

Liljames326

Dec 24, 2021
There's a lot of software out there that can load up 6c-8c CPUs with SMT. Quads just don't cut it anymore.
example or just video editing, virtual machine or emulation software? what you are talking about seems to have nothing to do with general users including gamers except for generally newer or unoptimized titles. higher core is always better unless its a crazy low frequency like old server cpus, but i think your going a little overboard.

Liljames326

Dec 24, 2021
Games. The 1% and .1% frametimes on quads are getting really bad.
so not only are you taking what you learned from youtube and applying it simply to cpus, but it sounds like you are saying that is ONLY core relative? but that is not necessarily the case. with the 7700k using the 1070, i noticed it on 1080p in ark on ultra, in 1080p in ultra ive been smooth sailing, when i switched to 4k (with my new 3070) i notice it which is why i know ive been bottlenecked by the 7700k ( maybe even, its not really a guarantee. in terms of newer games at high resolutions) BUT ALSO the latency of my 2400 mhz ram, its not only cpu and core dependent. Also I would say depending on the style of game ssd speed will help to have the textures pulled from faster to be rendered quicker as in open world games with high texture resolutions and lots of textures, so if i was to even upgrade my ram to 3k+ i could see less stuttering in ark at 4k. 4 core cpus are becoming redundant in terms of new gaming but so is the rest of the technology which is why we see upgrades on a constant.

read the top comment here

Liljames326

Dec 24, 2021
No, and no. Try reading some major reviews of CPU releases dating back to the 8700k. Go on, I'll wait.
dont push around my comment. you understand what i said so ill leave it at that. and you have to agree on limitations of the rest of the hardware. theres no need for me to do that. 7700k has been flagship up until 10th gen really. but i didnt even want to switch then because despite cores its not enough of an actual performance gain. which means cores isnt MORE relative than anything else in terms of hardware

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
dont push around my comment. you understand what i said so ill leave it at that.

I understand that you're wrong.

Look at AC Origin for example, 7700k on a 2080Ti is struggling with .1% frametimes. There are games that will punch a quad in the gut. And that was in 2018! You gonna put a 7700k with a 3090 in a 2021 title? No. OP may not be running a 3090 now, but someday he may want to upgrade his video card, and hopefully the dGPU market will be functional enough that he can get a card at least as fast as a 2080Ti in the near future. A card that will be bottlenecked by a 7700k.

Liljames326

Dec 24, 2021
No, and no. Try reading some major reviews of CPU releases dating back to the 8700k. Go on, I'll wait.

that was then, for one i dont think its any better of a game but i ran it on ultra settings 1080p 60 fps on my 1070, even a dumb 1660 sc, but minus the shadows and whatever that cloud setting was. but those .1% and 0.1% look consistent for smooth gameplay in the benchs he does specifically. (this was about 3 years i tested it when building other pcs btw)

Also I know gamers nexus has a thing for 7700k to always put it on the spot for some reason. but hell yeah its still a more than capable cpu despite being quad core. especially to be frames under a 6 core higher frequency cpu. FRAMES. spend 600 to upgrade from 7th to 8th gen? COMPLETEY stupid. to 9th gen even no. 10th gen, if you absolutely want the cores for certain unoptimized games sure. As I said their steps are really nothing more than a small ramp for the money grab in terms of performance as everybody knows. AMD was the same way but they wanted more of the market so they hit intel with ryzen and now is ACTUAL competition in terms of performance reliability and price. plus it made intel actually step up their game in terms of core count.

is it a bottleneck in new titles? of course, but can it still run them with ease as long as you have other decent hardware, of course! everything has really been nonaffordable to even upgrade from the 7700k in terms of performance gain if you have been at that point. some people went from 4th gen to 8-9k and now they are crying about it lol because of how much they spent on the upgrade and having to reupgrade now. if you look at the affordability of the main parts though now like i said with the cost of mobos coolers and the cpus, for us 7th gen or previous its actually WORTH the switch. especially for resale value of the pc. ill could make off these parts minus the video card nearly what im paying for my new system but im not that type of person. and the video card is selling for 420 bucks, which is nearly 300 more than i spent 4 years ago lol.

i guess all in all everything can be considerably a bottleneck (of course) but the question is affordability from where you currently are at. these quad core 8 thread cpus are still beasts. even the 4770k is still a worthy cpu for affordability for gaming and tasks, like the other person mentioned, but heavily limited by other components and actual software usability capabilities. not just the ability of the cpu to perform the tasks.

as a bonus ill say anything will get punched in the gut, including the 8700k and 9700k despite their core count. from 100 to 120 frames is not much of a percentage boost despite the cores. nowadays it will have improved but lets just say anything under 10 cores at this day and age is irrelevant. and its sad because assassins creed origins is till probably one of the best games to run for benchmark capabilities despite being YEARS old. that goes to show the irrelevance of what your saying for modern gaming with there being no real big games that take advantage of it. ark 2 and some of the newest titles though will absolutely put a damper on anything pre 10th gen

Last edited:

Liljames326

Dec 24, 2021
Cores vs Cache:

thats very interesting information thank you. that makes core count look like a marketing scheme really unless people look into the full spec list. although it does play its part. i know very little about in depth pc information, but i know theres more to it than just core count and even though the cpu is the brains its not the end all be all.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Bottlenecked by the card. You want to run newer titles with newer dGPUs? Even a quad with newer core designs will struggle. Naturally you also get a lot more shared L3 with higher core counts . . .
I understand the points he/she is attempting to make, and I partially agree. But, this is the wrong thread for it. As we already discussed, the OP's primary usage i.e. VMs and Planet Coaster, will benefit significantly from the upgrade. The general relevance of 4/8 CPUs like the 7700k, a few days before the year 2022, is another discussion entirely.

It is all about what you can afford, what you are going to use it for, and what you can live with performance wise. There is no one size fits all. I spent 2006-2012 on console to game with me son. I got used to some pretty dastardly frame rates as the years went by. Didn't take much in the way of PC hardware to impress me after that. ;)

Jul 27, 2020
I understand the points he/she is attempting to make, and I partially agree. But, this is the wrong thread for it. As we already discussed, the OP's primary usage i.e. VMs and Planet Coaster, will benefit significantly from the upgrade. The general relevance of 4/8 CPUs like the 7700k, a few days before the year 2022, is another discussion entirely.

It is all about what you can afford, what you are going to use it for, and what you can live with performance wise. There is no one size fits all. I spent 2006-2012 on console to game with me son. I got used to some pretty dastardly frame rates as the years went by. Didn't take much in the way of PC hardware to impress me after that. ;)
i3-12100 may end up being faster than 7700K.

Also, the thing I love about consoles is no graphics settings and hence no feeling sorry for myself if I can't crank up the settings to max.

Liljames326

Dec 24, 2021

yeah that was actually what kinda threw me off. just saying quad cores are irrelevant because of 1% timings that even his own video dismissed with consistent frames down to the .1% and pushing past any other point made. thats where i also stated affordability which is exactly why im jumping the wagon for the future but if the 12700k wasnt such a beast at the 350 i paid for it new i wouldnt have hehe. sadly as you state even with pre built systems and games that are supposed to be optimized for them, there is plenty of error no matter what console and its not usually down to the hardware.

Liljames326

Dec 24, 2021

Also, the thing I love about consoles is no graphics settings and hence no feeling sorry for myself if I can't crank up the settings to max.

WOW lol. those are real budget cpus. and the price point is crazy. since learning about the caching i could definitely see it pulling ahead (though after hearing such firm arguments i didnt think id see a NEW 4 core again, which i was never expecting anyways) the base clock is just that, but the boost is almost the same.

Liljames326

Dec 24, 2021
Bottlenecked by the card. You want to run newer titles with newer dGPUs? Even a quad with newer core designs will struggle. Naturally you also get a lot more shared L3 with higher core counts . . .

part of the toxicity of pc master race, when somebody states something subjectively they always have to win. but your own video proved your initial point wrong no matter how much more you want to argue.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

True, but it will still struggle in many software titles vs. the 12700k about which the OP is asking.

part of the toxicity of pc master race

There is nothing toxic here, it's not like OP is being told to get a 12900k instead of a 12700k. The 12700k is modestly priced (at least as far as the CPU goes; platform/RAM is another matter). Fact is that anyone who wants to play any kind of game, much less run VMs, should not be buying quads in 2021/2022. Quads are relegated to the budget sector. They come with serious performance compromises.

Don't get mad because someone has the gumption to prove you wrong.

Reactions: Tlh97

Liljames326

Dec 24, 2021
True, but it will still struggle in many software titles vs. the 12700k about which the OP is asking.

There is nothing toxic here, it's not like OP is being told to get a 12900k instead of a 12700k. The 12700k is modestly priced (at least as far as the CPU goes; platform/RAM is another matter). Fact is that anyone who wants to play any kind of game, much less run VMs, should not be buying quads in 2021/2022. Quads are relegated to the budget sector. They come with serious performance compromises.

Don't get mad because someone has the gumption to prove you wrong.

but you didnt prove me wrong. everything SHOWS AND STATES that (even if very few) quad cores are still relevant for gaming for even modern titles. you are toxicity itself haha. i never said they should buy one either. i never did say either that nothing was better, you just cant discount quads from being performers despite being physically lacking. you have taken everything and pushed points with an agenda based on what you wanted to prove to me, but was never an issue to begin with. you said they get punched in the gut when it comes to .1% and 0.1% frametimes. so do 6 and 8 cores if you want to talk realistic fps hyperthreading is a different story but even 6c12t suffer, ALTHOUGH the discrepency between 0.1% and 1% frames and average frames is NOT ENOUGH to say there would noticeable stuttering based off that alone in your gamers nexus video. its realistic to say it could provide smooth gameplay provided you have decent hardware otherwise. but all youve done is a roundabout arguement over nothing but acting like i say more than i do.

i only initially came here because i was looking up something about the 7700k which i forgot when i seen this exact question based on the same upgrade i had already chose to make based on affordability and lack of ACTUAL improvement between generations up till now.

also using that as a derogatory (dont get mad). its the internet. why would i be mad when you are nothing to me?

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I play 1080p/60, and my 7700K@5Ghz is very rarely the reason I drop below 60 fps with the settings I use. I’ve been resisting the urge to reach for higher core counts because single core performance has improved glacially since Sandy. Now things are finally starting to get spicy and of course I’m deciding whether to salvage my DDR4 or if I should wait until DDR5 becomes affordable, or I could do the sensible thing and buy a console.