I7-7700K clock for clock worse than I7-6700K?

pooptastic

Oct 18, 2015
Saw this article via Bluesnews: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/intel...han-the-i7-6700k-in-clock-to-clock-scenarios/

Interesting, didn't know there was an architecture change for the 7700K, but this shows that if it's clocked to 4ghz it's actually every so slightly worse performing than a 6700K at that same speed.

I know there's a lot of tech people here, so surprised nobody had mentioned it. Was hoping for some insight from everyone. Of course you have to downclock it to begin with for the degraded performance, so it's a moot point, but it seems odd a new processor at the same clock speed is the same, if not slightly "worse" overall.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Read the source article dso links to from expressview,both stock and underclocked benches where done on a z270 mobo that had such severe bios bugs it wouldn't even identify and they only ran them once so it's just an indication,and one that proves what intel already said,there is no difference in architecture and the only gains come from higher clocks due to the better 14nm process.
The difference is within the range of statistical error,especially since they only made one pass on the benches.

pooptastic

Oct 18, 2015
Didn't think about the bios of the motherboard, since it isn't retail yet maybe there needs to be an update there to really make it shine.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The big change with KL is going to be the large graphics improvements and the video decode/encode improvements.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
The big change with KL is going to be the large graphics improvements
I have yet to see the source that shows any meaningful graphics improvements outside mobile, where lower power consumption can lead to nice performance jumps within TDP limits.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The new Intel Kaby Lake iGPU is much more robust compared to the Skylake's however.

From the above link.

Also we had Notebook Check, which had it at a 20-30% improvement.

Would you get ~25% improvement from being able to stay at a little higher tdp for a little longer?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I can also find claims that the graphics hardware is unchanged other than the addition of the encode/decode improvements.

So I guess we will have to wait and see if desktop KL will get a gaming boost.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Would you get ~25% improvement from being able to stay at a little higher tdp for a little longer?
It is possible to get that much from power savings alone. We just need a desktop chip test to be sure.

Look at this screenshot Notebookcheck used to show how Kaby maintains turbo speed in game.
gputurbo.png

Notice how CPU Package power is at 15W, with GPU at 1.05Ghz and CPU at 1.6Ghz - this is a perfect showcase of how power limited 15W mobile CPU is. It has to balance power budget between GPU and CPU in order to squeeze every ounce of performance before hitting the TDP wall. AFAIK Intel has a configurable power ratio to split the TDP budget between CPU-GPU, and they probably tweak this as best they can.