i7 6700k performance help

Jasonjames71

Nov 28, 2018
I picked up a levono system with i7 6700k 1070 gtx 8g ram etc. And took the cpu and 1070 and put it in a msi tomahawk z270 board ( I like overclocking which I couldn’t do with the levono set up)
After running a few benchmarks at stock and OC’ed (heaven ,supposition,cpuid bench thing) I noticed there was no improvement for the OC over the stock . The overclock is 4.9 btw. And to add insult to Injury. I’m getting 15fps lower in heaven than when it was in the levono !
I have done a fresh install , updated bios and nvidia drivers!
I know cpu bottlenecks but it shouldn’t not make a difference at all??

Help

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I can’t find the power limit in the bios !!
In the Advanced Mode of the MSI BIOS choose OC > CPU Features (it's probably the last item in the OC tab). The parameters you may need to alter are the following:
  • Long Duration Power Limit (W)
  • Short Duration Power Limit (W)
  • CPU Current Limit (A)
In order to see if you're really limited by any of these parameters I suggest you use HWInfo64: the CPU info section will show your current power limits, the sensor window will contain a number of indicators for performance limiting reasons such as temps, max power, max current etc.

If you're not sure of what limit to set, enter 200W for both power limits and 150A for the current limit. You can set them higher but these values will be enough in your case.

PS: you should also dial back your overclock, since it's likely not a real overclock if power limits keep the CPU from boosting high under load. Go back to 4.2Ghz for all cores and increase clocks gradually.

Last edited:

Jasonjames71

Nov 28, 2018
just upped the power limit and its made no difference .still got 198 fps in heaven.
i think the overclock is real because when i bench in cpuid it goes up!
its strange!

Jasonjames71

Nov 28, 2018
Yeah it was too high ! Wasn’t stable.ran OCCT for a while and crashed.
I’m at 4.7 now the over clock is real because cinebench shows a big improvement both in cpu and open gl
What strange tho is the levono not clocked was faster !

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If the CPU at stock seems faster, that is likely due to your OC being somewhat unstable, or possibly due to some other hardware difference. Is the only difference between the 2 systems the Lenovo motherboard vs. the MSI?

Also, if you could list the rest of your specs, that could help.