I7-3930K and ASUS Rampage IV

azev

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2001
Do you guys think these parts worth the extra premium?
I need new computer, with lots of overclocking potential and something I can keep for a while. My pc is still on Q6600 and I bought the first week it was released.
Everywhere I read it is completely necessary to get them, but somehow i am very attracted to the pair. So what do you guys think about these 2 parts?

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Do you guys think these parts worth the extra premium?
I need new computer, with lots of overclocking potential and something I can keep for a while. My pc is still on Q6600 and I bought the first week it was released.
Everywhere I read it is completely necessary to get them, but somehow i am very attracted to the pair. So what do you guys think about these 2 parts?

The rampage only has a slightly better power delivery system than the mid-tier boards, like the pro and deluxe z77

From what I hear the rampage has hair better shot at 5ghz, assuming you got really lucky on the CPU as well.

You're essentially paying about $150 extra for the last 200mhz of overclocking potential, and that's a MAYBE, not a sure thing. :whiste:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I have been very happy with my X79 and 3930-K combo. The Rampage was $100 more at the time vs. the ST and I was not planning to make the investment into WC or better cooling, so it wasn't really needed for me. I would personally say that any of the X79 Asus boards are fantastic; ST, deluxe, or rampage. If you get a cheaper one vs. the rampage, that gives you some extra money for a top-tier air-cooler or solid out-of-the-box WC like the H100.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Ran an Extreme 4 with a 3930K and it hit 4.6Ghz quite easily. Any board will get you to where you wanna go.