(i7 3770k) So lost... need help changing my overclock from 4.5GHZ to 4.3GHZ/4.2GHZ

newocer

Jun 3, 2012
Hi guys,

I have been posting all over various OC forums trying to get some clear answers, as to how to properly decrease my overclock to 4.3GHZ or 4.2GHZ for my i7 3770K processor. I bought my system overclocked at 4.5GHZ, but the temps when under full load get too hot IMO...

system specs:
i7 3770k - overclocked to 4.5ghz
case: Cooler Master 942 HAF X
cpu cooling: 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (CORSAIR H80)
motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
idle temps: 30-40 degrees celsius

While running LinX, I reach 91 degrees celsius within 5 minutes with my current 4.5GHZ overclock (purchased and set by a major retailer).
screenshot: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2073/temps4.png

I have slowly been learning about overclocking... specifically on how to change the vCore and Core Ratio Limits to lower values (I don't understand the concept of PLL voltage/overvoltages).

However, I just noticed the seller of my computer also significantly changed my Digi+ Power Control Settings... making me now totally lost as to how to properly change my overclock to a lower value (4.3GHZ or 4.2GHZ ... whatever is easier).

Here are the screenshots of my Ai Tweaker and Digi+ Power Control BIOS settings (set by the seller):
http://img266.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=94151800.jpg

Please help... just want to do this right and start using my new computer with confidence and that I didn't screw anything up or that it won't burn in flames while I'm not home. Thanks :)

Jun 2, 2012
that is way to hot for a h80 make sure it is mounted right and put some new thermal paste on it. change xmp to Manuel then lower the turbo ratio to 43 and then change cpu voltage (which is down the bottom somewhere) to manually mode and then to around 1.22 test with linx and then a game to see if it is stable if it is lower the voltage then test again if it is not put the voltage up and test till you find what is stable. also how fast are the fans on the h80 going? also you can change the voltage and multi in in windows with ai suite 2 then going tools turboV and then change it so it looks like this then click apply then lower voltage while running prime 95 till you BSOD.
your thing should look a bit like this when you change it in windows when you are happy with it set it up like that in your bios and change it from xmp to manual. somewhere
LL
i had a look at one of your other posts just so you know.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Remember tjmax is 105C on that Ivy. So 92C in Linpack aint that bad at 4.5Ghz.

But try avoid upping the voltage, or letting the board do it automaticly.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
also, there is the de-lidding option, but that would probably void the warranty, though I am not sure since it seems like it is already void at least for the chip due to OC. I would contact your builder and see what they advise, if there is some builders warranty involved. they may even be able to do it for you, as they did the OC.

Jun 2, 2012
also, there is the de-lidding option, but that would probably void the warranty, though I am not sure since it seems like it is already void at least for the chip due to OC. I would contact your builder and see what they advise, if there is some builders warranty involved. they may even be able to do it for you, as they did the OC.
i remember reading somewhere that as long as there is no visual damage and it is not working it is still under warranty but sounded wrong to me. ill see if i can find it.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
i remember reading somewhere that as long as there is no visual damage and it is not working it is still under warranty but sounded wrong to me. ill see if i can find it.

Thats wrong. Any OC voids warranty. Also why you can buy the OC protection plan.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
That's not true. You still have your warranty intact with overclocks on Intel processors.

No. Its stated in the Intel warranty papesr with your PC. Overclocking voids warranty.

Also they wouldnt need this if what you said was true:
http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

The Performance Tuning Protection Plan being offered by Intel is a chance for you to experiment with the overclocking features of your processor without the worries of what will happen if you push the processor too far. The Plan allows you a single processor replacement, hassle-free, from our customer support. This is in addition to your standard 3 year warranty. In other words, if it fails under normal usage, we will replace it under the standard warranty; if it fails while running outside of Intel's specifications, we will replace it under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan.

Not to mention the overall fodnotes on their website:

1. Warning: Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may: (i) reduce system stability and useful life of the system, processor, and other system components; (ii) cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other damage; and (v) affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its specifications. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of other system components beyond their industry standard specifications. Intel assumes no responsibility that the processor and other system components, including if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hi guys,

I have been posting all over various OC forums trying to get some clear answers, as to how to properly decrease my overclock to 4.3GHZ or 4.2GHZ for my i7 3770K processor. I bought my system overclocked at 4.5GHZ, but the temps when under full load get too hot IMO...

system specs:
i7 3770k - overclocked to 4.5ghz
case: Cooler Master 942 HAF X
cpu cooling: 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (CORSAIR H80)
motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
idle temps: 30-40 degrees celsius

While running LinX, I reach 91 degrees celsius within 5 minutes with my current 4.5GHZ overclock (purchased and set by a major retailer).
screenshot: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2073/temps4.png

I have slowly been learning about overclocking... specifically on how to change the vCore and Core Ratio Limits to lower values (I don't understand the concept of PLL voltage/overvoltages).

However, I just noticed the seller of my computer also significantly changed my Digi+ Power Control Settings... making me now totally lost as to how to properly change my overclock to a lower value (4.3GHZ or 4.2GHZ ... whatever is easier).

Here are the screenshots of my Ai Tweaker and Digi+ Power Control BIOS settings (set by the seller):
http://img266.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=94151800.jpg

Please help... just want to do this right and start using my new computer with confidence and that I didn't screw anything up or that it won't burn in flames while I'm not home. Thanks :)

Welcome to the forum :)

The first thing you should do is go to the Tools tab and name and save the profile with the settings that it shipped with. Most likely it is already save but you should make sure just in case you want to return to the shipped configuration. This would be best for diagnostic purposes if you should have issues later on and need support from the seller. The shipped configuration should be covered under their warranty.

Dropping down the overclock shouldn't be too hard. Some of the settings they chose seem pretty extreme for just 4.5ghz anyways. Hard locking the vcore and setting everything to extreme seems like it wouldn't be the best choice to me at least.

I'm unsure how far they ventured beyond the boards default settings so it would most likely be best to just alter the current profile. Or you could just load the defaults and go from there and start from scratch. Make sure you take the save the current profile advise above tho.

Real world temps shouldn't even be close to temps during prime or Intel Burn Test but would be dependant on ones uses.

If you do still want to downclock it somewhat just say so and somebody should be able to help you out.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Welcome to the forum :)

The first thing you should do is go to the Tools tab and name and save the profile with the settings that it shipped with. Most likely it is already save but you should make sure just in case you want to return to the shipped configuration. This would be best for diagnostic purposes if you should have issues later on and need support from the seller. The shipped configuration should be covered under their warranty.

Dropping down the overclock shouldn't be too hard. Some of the settings they chose seem pretty extreme for just 4.5ghz anyways. Hard locking the vcore and setting everything to extreme seems like it wouldn't be the best choice to me at least.

I'm unsure how far they ventured beyond the boards default settings so it would most likely be best to just alter the current profile. Or you could just load the defaults and go from there and start from scratch. Make sure you take the save the current profile advise above tho.

Real world temps shouldn't even be close to temps during prime or Intel Burn Test but would be dependant on ones uses.

If you do still want to downclock it somewhat just say so and somebody should be able to help you out.

And keep the values for *everything* recorded because the profiles get wiped if you ever do a bios update.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
And keep the values for *everything* recorded because the profiles get wiped if you ever do a bios update.

Not sure but when I had my P67 Asus board for a little while it had the ability to take screenshots of the bios pages. It would save them to USB memory stick. Looking at your screenshots I don't see the option....Unless it's print screen? Maybe somebody with a Asus board will know or can try it and see.

I'd think dropping your overclock down and maybe going more conservative on the Digi-Vrm and LLC settings would take about 10 keystrokes or so and about 5 minutes to get a base starting point for stability testing.

Found this thru google on how to screenshot thru the uEFI bios.

Use a FAT32 formatted flash drive, press F12 in UEFI to take a screen capture. You would need to do every page and every option on each page for best results.

Last edited:

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
I'd contact the retailer and let them know you are not satisfied, and ask how they performed the OC, you can dial it back in TurboV Evo or the BIOS, depending how they set it up.

Zardnok

Sep 21, 2004
I am building my new system with the Sabertooth board as well and have been researching it extensively lately. I am still waiting for my H100 to show up so I can finish things up, but I do have some advise for you on ways to reduce your heat.

First thing you need to understand is that heat increases exponentially with voltage, so while the clock speed contributes to heat increases, voltage increases heat much more. Reducing your overclock is not the way to reduce heat as much as reducing voltage. The two easy things for you to try first are to reduce the CPU Manual Voltage from 1.275 to 1.25V and reduce load-line calibration from ultra high down to high. Try those two things and see where your temps are. If you are happy, then be happy, if you want to drop down more, back off CPU voltage another notch, but I wouldn't run LLC below 50%.

To reduce your OC, you need to reduce your core ratio limit from 45X. Your current BCLK is 100, so your CPU speed will be whatever ratio you set times 100. If you want 4.3K, set the ratio of each core at 43X. You may need to drop your OC back if you reduce the voltage too much, but I would leave it at 4.5 to start and try tweaking voltage to reduce temps.

I am betting the major retailer has a set of "fail-safe" bios options they throw in all of the factory OCed systems. They know the CPU will do that speed with that much voltage and by the time the temps are ever a problem, it will be out of warranty and they will not care. Spend some time and optimize the lowest voltage settings you can run a given OC. Also remember that nothing you ever do on your computer will drive temps up like the various burn tests will, so use the temps from those as an absolute worst case scenario.