Question i7 2600k 4.5ghz at 1.336v with offset, is this good or what? looking for a safe OC

apollo18

Nov 4, 2019
hey guys i have a i7 2600k and i decided to overclock it, i did some research and tried a bunch of scenarios and i got stable on this.
i want to have a safe oc that lasts me a long time so i read not to pass 1.35V. i am not trying to reach 5ghz or anything, i am happy as long as my voltage is less then 1.35 v so i am happy with this if it looks good to you guys.

specs: i7 2600k with phanteks tc 14 pe air cooler with asus p8p67 pro mobo

i went into the bios and set i have a asus mobo
AI tweaker to 45 x 100
LLC SET to high (50%)
offset - 0.020V

and so far i am running OCCT and it hasnt crashed, i tried to lower the offset but it crashes at -0.025. so -0.020v seems stable so far.

temps are okay, around 60 celcius durring occt and cpuz v core hits 1.336max and is between 1.31ish-1.336 during the stress test

what do you guys think of this overclock? should i change anything?

some people say dont use offset because it lowers the idle voltage too much the pc seems fine so far, can i get the voltage lower some how? or what should i do in this scenario.
should i do manual voltage or set llc different? or is it good to go?

thx

apollo18

Nov 4, 2019
Thanks! I will do more stability apps for sure, but I was wondering if my voltage is too high or something or if the LLC is too high or does this look like a good overclock?

Worse case scenario if it does lock up or feel slow, I’ll just give raise the offset by 0.005V to give it more voltage and then it will be stable for sure I guess right?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I'm not the SB expert, so let's look to past posts:

Your voltage is pretty conservative.

apollo18

Nov 4, 2019
thanks!! I wanted to add it seemed to be fine when it was at 4.4 ghz with llc 50% and offset of -0.03 however since I bumped it up to 4.5ghz with offset of
-0.02V it seems a tad slow when loading programs, and kinda feels like a slight lockup. It seems to have passed every stability test I ran, does that mean I’m good to go and it’s just my mind playing games? Or should I just lower the offset to -0.015V to make it happy?

BecUss I thought if it passes stability tests it should be good to go but it kinda feels slow to me, maybe it needs a tad more voltage
Thanks!

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Before adding voltage, check temps. I read years ago an Intel engineer saying Intel CPUs function best at 80c or below. I certainly found that to be true with a 4790k. YMMV.

apollo18

Nov 4, 2019
temps are fine they dont go past 60 on a stress test.
i decided to go with
4.5ghz
with -0.015V offset
LLC 50%

seems stable here and i have piece of mind with the tad bit more voltage then before

does this look good? or should i change the llc or the offset?
thx

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I wouldn't change LLC unless you're seeing massive voltage surges. 1.336v isn't too bad. I doubt you're getting massive overshoot.

apollo18

Nov 4, 2019
I had some lock ups with 4.5 ghz and I lowered my offset to -0.005, I had slight lock up at lower voltage. However hwinfo says my max is 1.352 now, I tbink I’m going to stay at 4.4 cuz I can lower the voltage and I don’t tbink it’s worth 0.2V more voltage to get to 4.5ghz

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I found that quite a few people on the internet claim that the i7 2600k needs less than 1.35V to avoid degradation. On MY chip (now in my wife's machine), I have been running at 1.375V without issues for many years. YMMV however. The 2600K was quite a chip! I was able to hit 5.1 GHz, however. At 4.5 GHz, I needed around 1.3V. I don't recall right off hand if I had to tweak LLC or not.

The chip is rock solid stable in Prime95 as well as other workloads.

Reactions: lightmanek

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Lowering voltage and trying to off-set that with LLC is definitely NOT the way to go. That's like inviting instability anytime there's a variable load on there. LLC is nice to combat vdroop under high load conditions, but causes it's own sort of issues with variable loads, which would be compounded if you're using an offset voltage and compounded further if it's a negative offset. If you want the most stable and safest OC, your best bet is to set a FIXED voltage without LLC. The trade-off with this method is a bit of efficiency is sacrificed.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

apollo18

Nov 4, 2019
hey guys! i got my first bsod today it was during gaming randomly and im sure its due to the oc since i dont really game that much.
my current settings are 4.4 ghz i7 2600k with asus mobo, llc is at 50% setting (asus mobo) and offset is -0.030V.
If I make the offset -0.025V will that solve my bsod during gaming problem? or help solve it?

i read somewhere or maybe im wrong but isn't offset the voltage at idle or something? if so then i dont understand how changing the offset would affect anything when my bsod's only happen when i am gaming.

i could be wrong and if i am then i think changing the offset from -0.030 t0 -.025 should make my oc stabler / perfect.

right?

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
hey guys! i got my first bsod today it was during gaming randomly and im sure its due to the oc since i dont really game that much.
my current settings are 4.4 ghz i7 2600k with asus mobo, llc is at 50% setting (asus mobo) and offset is -0.030V.
If I make the offset -0.025V will that solve my bsod during gaming problem? or help solve it?

i read somewhere or maybe im wrong but isn't offset the voltage at idle or something? if so then i dont understand how changing the offset would affect anything when my bsod's only happen when i am gaming.

i could be wrong and if i am then i think changing the offset from -0.030 t0 -.025 should make my oc stabler / perfect.

right?

See my post above yours. You're doing it wrong.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
ahh sounds good so the best thing is to just oc with a fixed voltage and what that means is for example it will always use 1.33V at idle or full load and wont change?

thanks

Yes. If you want the best/most stable OC and you're not terribly worried about efficiency, a fixed voltage is the way to go.

Reactions: VirtualLarry