Question i7 11700kf - running xmp and gear 1 giving weird "symptoms"

kenito

Apr 11, 2015
Hey, 1 year ago I bought a i7-11700kf and a Asus ROG STRIX Z590-A GAMING WIFI motherboard. I paired this with a
Kingston FURY Renegade DDR4-3600, CL16 (16-20-20).

The problem is, when I run XMP, randomly my microphone starts making jaggedy/stuttering/cutting sounds on discord, same with my sound might start getting choppy etc. on rare occasions the pc seem to halt for 5-10 seconds as well. I've tried running a memtest with no errors found.

I suspect memory, might be something else.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Mic and sound are more likely an irq issue than ram. Depending on how fully loaded your slots are there might me a resource issue on the DMI back to the CPU as well.

kenito

Apr 11, 2015
It's not that full, 2x 8gb ram slots, 3 SSD's in the satas and 1 NVME and a RTX 3070.

It's hard to pinpoint what is what, something feels off since the trouble ramps up when tampering with the ram.

Mic and sound are more likely an irq issue than ram. Depending on how fully loaded your slots are there might me a resource issue on the DMI back to the CPU as well.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well, you could swap out the RAM using Amazon w/ their easy return policy. If it's not the RAM then move onto the next suspect. With all of the issues Asus has had with ADL boards that would be my next suspect.

kenito

Apr 11, 2015
Thanks, I was suspecting the ram / motherboard controller, read that these IMC are very funky. I live in scandinavia so we have a pretty good warranty / consumer right so if anything goes bad within 5 years I have full refund rights, problem is it need to be a constant error, not a "well its there, and it not sometimes you know" kinda error.

Well, you could swap out the RAM using Amazon w/ their easy return policy. If it's not the RAM then move onto the next suspect. With all of the issues Asus has had with ADL boards that would be my next suspect.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well, intermittent errors are harder to prove. If you want to spend time chasing it down that's one thing. If you want to not have to deal with it and resolve it that's another thing.

Since I'm always monkeying around with things I've found a Linux boot USB tends to rule out OS issues that masquerade as HW issues. I had a Laptop that was spontaneously rebooting periodically but progressively got worse doing it multiple times per day. I had even swapped the brick as a CYA measure and it didn't resolve it. Booted into Linux for a couple of days and it didn't happen which lead to figuring out it was being caused by an Intel driver IIRC. The misleading part was the error logs showing it as a "kernel power" error instead of the actual issue which was the driver. I spent a couple of months hunting that one down.

Now I have a new laptop but a different issue I can't seem to track down as the root cause with the pointer working fine for a week or so at a time and then a reboot and it goes nuts on its own for a bit and then back to normal or a had reboot to fix it. I thought I had it figured out with a video driver but, it's come back periodically and to me I think the next thing would be the BIOA / UEFI needing an update as I've ripped it apart a few times for upgrades and triple checked the connections inside while doing other things.

My server though with ADL just keeps humming along w/o issue. I did recently try a different kernel on it and that locked it up a couple of times which led back to using the mainline kernel instead which works flawlessly usually. Every once in awhile they release one that breaks something but, a rollback is easy to do to fix that sort of thing.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The possible IRQ line conflict tech-junky mentioned seems a good candidate. Review the motherboard manual carefully to see if you haven't configured something that would provoke a conflict.

Your symptoms differ, but I had been puzzled about my system becoming more and more sluggish as time passed since the previous boot-time. the problem was a manually-set pagefile size, and letting the system manage it and determine the size automatically corrected the problem.

I hope you can find better insight than this.