Question [I7-10700K] Will switching to liquid cooling result in noticeable temperature drop?

qwsazx

Dec 7, 2018
Hi all.
I'm running 10700K with air cooler from SPC - Grandis 3. Good, large, quiet fan cooler. But during standard operation my CPU has about 50-60 Celsius degrees, gaming results in 75-80 C (peaks up to 85, but rarely), benchmarking (not stress test, just pure benchmark) in Intel XTU gives me almost instant jump to 100 C. So my current setup is generally usable, but temps seem too high for me.

CPU has some potential for O/C, but not now for obvious reason described above. Currently it works at default clock with 1.275V, can run quite well at 5.1 GHZ at 1.290V, can boot into Windows at 5.2 GHz and 1.325V (no stability test made yet, I was afraid of temps).

I'm considering switching to liquid cooling, it seems that best performance to price ratio has Arctic Freezer Liquid II. I don't know if I should pick 240 or 360 model. Probably will choose 360 unless it's an overkill and 240 will be absolutely enough (I doubt it but of course I may be wrong).

So the question is: will I get much lower temps, like 10 degrees drop in general, or just it won't work well enough? Or I'm just dumb and worry too much about temperatures being standard for this CPU?

In case it's important info: this rig works everyday for about 16 hours, it's not just typical gaming machine.

Side question: any known issues fitting LFII 360 into CoolerMaster NR600 case?

Thank you in advance for your help!

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
CPU has some potential for O/C, but not now for obvious reason described above. Currently it works at default clock with 1.275V, can run quite well at 5.1 GHZ at 1.290V, can boot into Windows at 5.2 GHz and 1.325V (no stability test made yet, I was afraid of temps).
If these are all core numbers then you are already overclocking...
Show us a screenshot of ixtu, I bet the settings for PL1 PL2 and vcore are way above normal.

qwsazx

Dec 7, 2018
First I'd like to thank both of you for your reply.

Show us a screenshot of ixtu, I bet the settings for PL1 PL2 and vcore are way above normal.

Here's the Advanced Tuning tab of IXTU. I hope it's what you've asked for.

These are my current settings at 5.0 GHz all-core, 1.275V. Rig is stable, temps are generally below 60C for standard usage, but could easily jump up to 90C.

Yes, I'm messing around settings now. But if you'll be so kind to share some advices, I'll be really thankful!

image.png

To be honest, I didn't know about PL1 and PL2 until now. Just read about it, so I'm quite a noob about this particular topic :)

I didn't find any related settings to power levels in BIOS (MSI Z490 Gaming Plus) except power calibration level (set at 3). Maybe I'm missing something obvious though.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Yeah your cpu should run at a PL2 of 229W, so max should be 229W for 56sec and then 125W, but it's running at 288 full time, so it is overclocked just not extremely. Having all the cores locked to a clock is also overclocking, the CPU is supposed to take the power budged you give it and apply the optimal clocks itself.