i5-760 to i7-2600K

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
Any users and/or gamers here do this upgrade, and care to comment on their findings?
Have you noticed a difference with gaming, or day to day computer use?
I know newer games, like Battlefield 3, make use of all the cores on the new chips.
Thanks.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
at this point you might as well wait 3-4 more months for Ivy Bridge. just oc the cpu that you have for now.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Is that i5 a quad core ? If soo, your doing a sidegrade more then a upgrade.

You have a nice CPU, save your money for VC possibly in the future like a ATI 7970

Oh but I just noticed your @ 2.6Ghz which is no good, lol you need to OC the CPU you have now to at least 3.8Ghz ......... Games take advantage of cores but I can tell you ,, on my Rig ,,,,, BF3 takes up avg 60 percent of my total CPU power as do all games. So your CPU is fine for gaming so long its a quad core ... If soo, that i5 to i7 is a sidegrade and pointless. You wanna see a difference, do a video card upgrade which you dont need to do as of right now, the 5850 is fine,,,,, for now,,,, What res you play your games @ ? If not 1080p ,, but a lower res then that 5850 should server you well for another couple years... thx gl

doron1

Jul 1, 2011
Where did you get that BF3 "making use of all cores" BS?
It only uses 2 cores.

Besides, you have a great cpu. At stock it matches the 3.4ghz phenom II x4, and if you've got a decent motherboard, psu and cpu cooling, you can get a ~4ghz overclock which should eliminate any cpu bottleneck given your current system specs.

Last edited:

LagunaX

Jan 7, 2010
you just need to overclock both your cpu and gpu - both are highly overclockable...

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
It only uses 2 cores.

Besides, you have a great cpu. At stock it matches the 3.4ghz phenom II x4, and if you've got a decent motherboard, psu and cpu cooling, you can get a ~4ghz overclock which should eliminate any cpu bottleneck given your current system specs.
it does in multi.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
IMHO, i5-760 has plenty of speed for modern games, I would wait at least until Ivy Bridge, or even Haswell. Based on your sig:

1) next gen GPU from ATI/Nvidia such as Radeon 79xx will give you the biggest improvement in gaming performance
2) Upgrade to at last 8GB of RAM, just because its dirt cheap. DDR3 1600 is fine too.
3) Consider SSD to make games load faster, and Windows work snappier.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
IMHO, i5-760 has plenty of speed for modern games, I would wait at least until Ivy Bridge, or even Haswell. Based on your sig:

1) next gen GPU from ATI/Nvidia such as Radeon 79xx will give you the biggest improvement in gaming performance
2) Upgrade to at last 8GB of RAM, just because its dirt cheap. DDR3 1600 is fine too.
3) Consider SSD to make games load faster, and Windows work snappier.

^ 100%.

1) Can't comment, because the games I play work well on my GTX 460, but I see your point.
2) I recently went from 4GB to 8GB, mainly for Photoshop. Windows now uses half the 8GB just to make itself seem faster. Money well spent.
3) SSD is money well spent. I recently loaded my main PC to within 1 (megabyte) of free ram out of 8GB, and even on an ancient Intel G2 120GB, the PC remained completely responsive. All the other PC's with spindle drives were completely unresponsive while my main PC pushed gigs of backups to them.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
It only uses 2 cores.

I guess the huge performance i gained going from a core 2 duo e8200 @ 3.2ghz to a i3 2100 is all in my head .

For the love of god stop posting single player charts from toms...multiplayer rapes dual cores.

My i3 2100 despite being the fastest dual core period besides the i3 2120 still holds back my 6790 if its a 64 player server and there is much going on...the claim the game runs fine on dual cores needs to be buried.

bullbearish

Dec 12, 2011
I went to a 2600k from an i7 920 and it's great. The only noticable difference; however, is on the BF3 64 player maps. I was running the 920 at stock speeds and have the 2600k at 4.5G. Prime 95 runs at a cool 65C at 4.5G. Nice!