i5-6600 vs i7-6700: +40% in price but what about performance?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
They're both the same die, and you could undervolt a 6700 as well (motherboard permitting). With the 6700K, you have the option of setting whatever multiplier you want, so you could make it run at the same clocks as the 6700, or slightly lower, or slightly higher, depending on how it responds to voltage. There aren't any real drawbacks with going with the K over the non-K, other than it not coming with a cooler.

In my thread here, I charted the performance per watt curve of my CPU, and found that it peaks around 3.0-3.2ghz when you take into account total system power consumption. Right now I have my chip running at 3.4ghz, which is right before performance per watt begins to dip sharply. Skylake uses different transistors so the peak performance per watt will be in a different spot, but you can probably bet on it being somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5ghz.

stockwiz

Sep 8, 2013
You always pay a lot more to get a little bit more at the top end no matter what your hobby is. Road bikers pay $5000 to get a road bike when they could buy a road bike that is 80-90% as good for $2000.

Similar thing with pool cues, kayaks and kayak paddles, etc. The graph of price to performance is not linear... should be stating the obvious. :)