i5 4570 + r9 290x = bottleneck?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
you will significantly limit Crysis 3 in many areas but that's about the only game I know of where you could notice the difference. If you don't care about dropping into 50s and occasionally upper 40s then its not even an issue at all.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Generally speaking there will always be some cases of CPU bottlenecking. However with the number of options available now this will mostly not be the case with high end GPUs.

If you run everything at lower settings you are going to be capped out by CPU. As you start to turn on more and more settings your bottleneck will become the GPU. There may be some games where you could get a few more frames with a better CPU but generally speaking you are talking about one of the top tier processors.

Some games are affected more by CPU than others such as GTA.

What games do you plan on playing?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
some settings greatly effect the cpu too. an E8400 can run GTA 4 at 60 fps on mix of low and medium settings. crank everything and even an oced 2500k cant even stay above 45 fps in spots.

ZeeTech

Sep 13, 2014
Generally speaking there will always be some cases of CPU bottlenecking. However with the number of options available now this will mostly not be the case with high end GPUs.

If you run everything at lower settings you are going to be capped out by CPU. As you start to turn on more and more settings your bottleneck will become the GPU. There may be some games where you could get a few more frames with a better CPU but generally speaking you are talking about one of the top tier processors.

Some games are affected more by CPU than others such as GTA.

What games do you plan on playing?

Watch dogs, Battlefield 4, far cry 4, crisis 3, metro last light, shadow of mordor
all on ultra to high settings :)

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
4790 non K, 3.6Ghz base, boosts to at least 3.8GHz or 3.9Ghz in game depending on core load. I have a 4770 non K in an H97 board and have no issues with any single player game. CryEngine 3 is an exception, but those "games" are tech demo's, so meh.

greybaby

Sep 17, 2012
I would say that in this case your GPU is likely still more of a bottleneck than your CPU. Basically there are games where the CPU will bottlneck it occasionlly and many more where it will be bottlnecked by the GPU. Its not as simple and clean as that, but what I'm saying is that you'll get better FPS overall by upgrading your GPU. But if you do upgrade your cpu, getting a 4670k or a 4690k would work just fine. Get one of those and overclock it as far as your motherboard will allow and you shouldn't lose too much in the upgrade.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Watch dogs, Battlefield 4, far cry 4, crisis 3, metro last light, shadow of mordor
all on ultra to high settings :)

You will be fine, you may get a few fps with higher frequency on the CPU but if you dont want to spend more you will hardly notice the performance difference in real life gaming at those high image quality settings.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What resolution do you play at?

ZeeTech

Sep 13, 2014
You will be fine, you may get a few fps with higher frequency on the CPU but if you dont want to spend more you will hardly notice the performance difference in real life gaming at those high image quality settings.

So its just a few fps drop?
About 10 fps max?