i5 3570k , ASROCK Extreme 4 - Looking for Air cooler

fschris

Jan 18, 2011
I am interested in some mild over clocking. Any suggestion for a good After market cooler ? I have a Antec 300 case but I am looking to upgrade to a full size tower. There are so many to choose from and some seem like a pain to install from newegg reviews. I dont mind a bit of a challenge but the clips on the stock cooler are just garbage.

i5 3570k , ASROCK Extreme 4 - Looking for Air cooler

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
You don't give enough info for a real recommendation. Do you plan to overclock? How high? What's your budget? What's your experience with computers, overclocking, or cooling if any? Did you bother to search and if so what did you see? This and more would help.

212 Evo is a good air cooler, agreed.

djsb

Jun 14, 2011
Had a 212+ (less refined predecessor to the 212 Evo) for a long time and I can vouch for its great value. I also heard really good things about the Xigmatek Dark Knight which is usually on sale for the same amount of money.

Between you and me and the internet, though, I found the Cooler Master's mounting bracket and its four springloaded screws a bit annoying to install. (Still a million times better than Intel pushpins, of course.)

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Anandtech just did a cooler roundup, the best air cooler they tested was the Noctua NH-U14S which was even better than the NH-D14, but they're both huge you should check if they fit in your case first.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
X-Bit Labs > all for CPU cooler testing

http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/coolers/evercool-silent-shark/zchart_table_big.png

http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/coolers/evercool-silent-shark/zchart_diagr_big.png

http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-True-Spirit-140-officially/dp/B00629G1PG

I'd go with the Thermalright True Spirit 140.

It comes with the best in class TY-140 fan that's 15-20 USD all by itself so that you'll have a best in class 140mm fan for future builds if for some reason you can't get mounting brackets for your future build.

Last edited:

fschris

Jan 18, 2011
Anandtech just did a cooler roundup, the best air cooler they tested was the Noctua NH-U14S which was even better than the NH-D14, but they're both huge you should check if they fit in your case first.

Wow those are big... I'm gonna need a new case!!

fschris

Jan 18, 2011
Had a 212+ (less refined predecessor to the 212 Evo) for a long time and I can vouch for its great value. I also heard really good things about the Xigmatek Dark Knight which is usually on sale for the same amount of money.

Between you and me and the internet, though, I found the Cooler Master's mounting bracket and its four springloaded screws a bit annoying to install. (Still a million times better than Intel pushpins, of course.)

the intel pushpins are complete retarded from a company putting out the best chips...

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I use this cooler for my 3570k:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118003

I'll be honest it wasn't my first choice but it works quite well. There are cheaper solutions but I like the quality and there is probably some decent OC headroom.

...and I agree, the Intel OEM coolers and those pins are just downright aggravating. Ugh.

Deaks2

Oct 6, 2006
I use a Zalman CNPS-10x Performa. Nice tower cooler, very quiet, and great performance. They are often on sale too!

JimmyH

Jul 13, 2000
Rocking a Xigatek SD1283 on 3570k @ 4.4ghz on asrock extreme4. Was gonna do a 212+ but the xigmatek was cheaper and supposed to be quieter. Whisper quiet and $15 :) For a few bucks more u could do the Dark Knight version if u have open case and want that "murdered out" look.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
You don't need more than a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo or the Xigmatek SD1283 for that CPU for around a 4.3-4.5ghz overclock. Don't spend $60 when $30 or less will do

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Sorry, not to hijack the thread, but I have both the Zalman CNPS-9800LED and the CM Hyper 212 Evo (still in box). Any idea which is better? Only know how the Zalman performs (4.2ghz = 70c load). Dont want to go thru the trouble of dismantling it and installing the 212 EVO only to find its not any better.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I'd stick with the Zalman at that point. The difference probably wont be too large, and I personally really like the little manual fan control knob that comes with those. Lets me set it at the perfect noise level. The Evo probably would perform a bit better though if that is more important to you, although I'm having some trouble finding direct comparisons between the two right now. I only know how they compare from using a Zalman 9700 and the Evo a number of times on different CPUs through the years.

Fond memories of doing builds with the Zalman, though I've paid the blood price to those fins too many times...

Last edited:

djsb

Jun 14, 2011
I'd stick with the Zalman at that point. The difference probably wont be too large, and I personally really like the little manual fan control knob that comes with those. Lets me set it at the perfect noise level. The Evo probably would perform a bit better though if that is more important to you, although I'm having some trouble finding direct comparisons between the two right now. I only know how they compare from using a Zalman 9700 and the Evo a number of times on different CPUs through the years.

Fond memories of doing builds with the Zalman, though I've paid the blood price to those fins too many times...

I don't know, I'd advise against buying the fan-integrated heat sinks since you won't be able to easily replace the fan (a quick 10 dollar, 2-day delivery from Newegg) without having to go through the manufacturer's RMA/service deparment for a compatible part.

fschris

Jan 18, 2011
You don't need more than a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo or the Xigmatek SD1283 for that CPU for around a 4.3-4.5ghz overclock. Don't spend $60 when $30 or less will do

thanks for the suggestions ...seems like the 212 is a good choice for the money.... i m gonna need a new case I think

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
thanks for the suggestions ...seems like the 212 is a good choice for the money.... i m gonna need a new case I think

No problem!

You might not need a new case. If you measure the current space between the motherboard and the opposite side of the case, you can compare that number with the specifications listed on the product page. Most manufacturers give the dimensions of the cooler, so you could run the numbers and see if it will fit. If you can't find the dimensions for a particular cooler, a lot of the review sites will measure the cooler themselves and give you an idea of how it fits in their test case too. Usually, I just Google "[cooler name] + reviews" and I'll find more than enough. Good luck!

fschris

Jan 18, 2011
So I finally picked up and installed a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. It fit into my case and already has dropped the temps nicely. The install was easy as pie. Not sure why people have issues with this? I really do need a full size case for better air flow. My Antec 300 is a bit tight.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Rocking a Xigatek SD1283 on 3570k @ 4.4ghz on asrock extreme4. Was gonna do a 212+ but the xigmatek was cheaper and supposed to be quieter. Whisper quiet and $15 :) For a few bucks more u could do the Dark Knight version if u have open case and want that "murdered out" look.
Love my Dark Knights, basically a black, nickel-plated version of the SD1283. Been keeping my i7 920 D0s cozy for the past couple of years.

alonbl

Apr 25, 2013
If you want a good quiet not huge cooler by Noctua - NH-U12P SE2 is very good and pretty close performing to the NH-D14