I5 2500k vs 3570K for Video Compression (WMC HTPC)

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently running a I5 2500K on my W7 WMC (Yes I know its overboard). On another machine, I have a I5 3570K, which I am currently using to compress some of my WMC recordings.

The questions I have are:

Anybody using their HTPC to compress their recordings & if so, what CPU are you using?

The other question is does anybody know if there is a major time difference between the 2500K & 3570K when used for video compression?

The reason why I'm asking if the computer that currently has the 3570K, the wife uses (very seldom). I recently picked up a cheap computer with a Intel G2020 CPU & was going to do some testing & possibly making this machine become the machine she uses (all she does is look at Twitter, Facebook, Play music from Spotify, Pay Bills & some times stream video from You Tube).

My thought was that I could maybe sell one of the I5's & consolidate, but not exactly sure If I want to do that or not.

Thanks

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Highly depends on the software you're using and if it's capable of utilizing hardware accelerated transcoding and if you're using it (see here for a brief comparison). From there, it's a matter of preference for quality of video outputed by each and time required.

As for your differences in encoding times, AT's bench can help there.

You could probably resell the 2500k for a decent price and just combine your tasks to the 3570k machine. That's my 2¢ anyways. :)

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently running a I5 2500K on my W7 WMC (Yes I know its overboard). On another machine, I have a I5 3570K, which I am currently using to compress some of my WMC recordings.

The questions I have are:

Anybody using their HTPC to compress their recordings & if so, what CPU are you using?

The other question is does anybody know if there is a major time difference between the 2500K & 3570K when used for video compression?

The reason why I'm asking if the computer that currently has the 3570K, the wife uses (very seldom). I recently picked up a cheap computer with a Intel G2020 CPU & was going to do some testing & possibly making this machine become the machine she uses (all she does is look at Twitter, Facebook, Play music from Spotify, Pay Bills & some times stream video from You Tube).

My thought was that I could maybe sell one of the I5's & consolidate, but not exactly sure If I want to do that or not.

Thanks

4770K is what I'm using to compress my videos. I plan on OCing it if the loads get tough. But I don't know what handbrake settings to use. I been using Android Presets which look OK because it's for my 4 year old cousin (kids shows), but I really dunno.

Can you just elaborate and say exactly what you were planning it's unclear to me. WMC records in the background for me though, I use my PC for gaming/HTPC(XBMC)/WMC(Recording).

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
Currently after I have recorded a show & want to compress it, I move it to another computer (which currently has the 3570K) to compress the file on that system & then move the compressed file to the drive that I have the compressed videos saved to.

What I'm thinking of doing is putting the 3570K in my HTPC (replacing the 2500K that's in there now) & instead of using the 2nd computer to compress the shows, have the HTPC compress the show instead.

One of the main reasons for the question, was to see if anybody used their HTPC & noticed any slow downs (i.e. shows start to studder while watching on the TV, while another video was being compressed)

4770K is what I'm using to compress my videos. I plan on OCing it if the loads get tough. But I don't know what handbrake settings to use. I been using Android Presets which look OK because it's for my 4 year old cousin (kids shows), but I really dunno.

Can you just elaborate and say exactly what you were planning it's unclear to me. WMC records in the background for me though, I use my PC for gaming/HTPC(XBMC)/WMC(Recording).

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Makes more sense to me. I dunno why you'd move a file to another PC to convert, then move it back. Seems like more work.

Can you tell me the presets you're using btw? I seriously have NO CLUE what to use on Handbrake and I don't know why pirate's and other people haven't just released a guide, or just given us their damn presets so I can make the same quality rips they do. It's not illegal for me to convert my WTV file is it? I just want to DVR my own stuff rather than have to download it.

Currently using the Android preset at the moment.

Edit: I think I understand now. Uh, I usually only start compressions before I go to sleep, however if you look at CPU utilization when watching TV, it's at 2% tops (at least it is on my 4770k). Watching TV and Recording TV literally takes up NOTHING CPU cycle wise. If you truly were worried about it, you could assign 7 cores to Handbrake, and 1 core to WMC, but that'd be overkill even lol. Unless your compressions take forever, or are automatic, you really don't have to worry about it. TOPS, you could watch 8 hours of TV a day (does anyone do that?) and you'd have 16 hours left to compress TV lol.
How long does it take for you to compress though/what settings are you using/what file sizes are you seeing? All relevant info for me!

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I rip DVD's on my 2500K powered desktop and transfer them to my G620 powered HTPC with a portable HDD. Not only don't I have AnyDVD on my HTPC, I wouldn't want to wait 35+ minutes to rip a DVD vs 7-9 minutes on the 2500K.

I seriously have NO CLUE what to use on Handbrake and I don't know why pirate's and other people haven't just released a guide, or just given us their damn presets so I can make the same quality rips they do.

I'm with you on that... it took me 6 months to finally figure out to bump up the audio gain when converting them... duh. Everything works OK, but it would be nice knowing if I'm missing a setting in there that would make it better.

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
Moving the files doesn't take too long. The idea here was that I could condense the tasks of two machines into one & then replace the 2nd machine with something smaller for the wife to use (look at Facebook, Twitter, listen to Spotify, check email & pay bills).

I do not use handbrake. I did try using it at one time, but was never able to achieve video quality that I liked. If I was able to achieve a decent video, the file size would only be about 10-15% smaller then the original.

The program that I liked using was MceBuddy. You just tell it what folder to "watch" & it ran in the background (thus you could tell it to watch the "Recorded TV" folder if you wanted to).

With Mcebuddy you can: Tell it what format to compress the video to, what % to shrink the quality of the video, if you want it to scan for commercials & automatically remove them (I prefer to do this manually myself). It will automatically rename the output file & add the season & episode number.

However my wife complained, so I decided to try using the compression feature on the program I use to remove commercials, VideoRedo. VRD is the only program that I know of that can compress a video & still keep the .Wtv format.

I do like the picture quality of both MceBuddy & VideoRedo, however on both, the % change (between the original & compressed video) can vary. For example, I had one video that the original size was 1.6GB & at the end it was 374 MB, another one was 727 MB & the output was 372 MB & another one was 2.5 GB & the output was about 500 MB (these are from VRD by the way).

Overall I would probably only be converting 30 shows at a time, so it wouldn't be always compressing in the background. Also it would mainly be for the wife's show, as she doesn't like commercials removed.

5crabs

Sep 26, 2013
In my opinion, the CPU has little effect on the speed of video compression, and the key factor of influencing the video compressing speed is the video compression software. I had tested two DVD conversion software, Leawo DVD Ripper and DVD cloner on my two computers, a desktop with Intel Core i5-4670R Process and a laptop with Intel Core i3-2100T. The fisrt software took about 150 minutes to convert a DVD to H.264 file on my desktop while 160 minutes on my laptop. The second software only spent about 110 minutes (on desktop) and about 115 minutes (on laptop) to finish the conversion task.

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
In my opinion, the CPU has little effect on the speed of video compression, and the key factor of influencing the video compressing speed is the video compression software. I had tested two DVD conversion software, Leawo DVD Ripper and DVD cloner on my two computers, a desktop with Intel Core i5-4670R Process and a laptop with Intel Core i3-2100T. The fisrt software took about 150 minutes to convert a DVD to H.264 file on my desktop while 160 minutes on my laptop. The second software only spent about 110 minutes (on desktop) and about 115 minutes (on laptop) to finish the conversion task.

That's great that you have an OPINION. But your opinion isn't a fact.

The fact is, CPU has an effect on video compression. A HUGE one in fact. Try reading the reviews on the website you're posting on please.

If we want an opinion, this post should be deleted, I feel any post which mods find that may cause confusion should probably be deleted since we don't want to actively spread information we know to be proven false.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Moving the files doesn't take too long. The idea here was that I could condense the tasks of two machines into one & then replace the 2nd machine with something smaller for the wife to use (look at Facebook, Twitter, listen to Spotify, check email & pay bills).

I do not use handbrake. I did try using it at one time, but was never able to achieve video quality that I liked. If I was able to achieve a decent video, the file size would only be about 10-15% smaller then the original.

The program that I liked using was MceBuddy. You just tell it what folder to "watch" & it ran in the background (thus you could tell it to watch the "Recorded TV" folder if you wanted to).

With Mcebuddy you can: Tell it what format to compress the video to, what % to shrink the quality of the video, if you want it to scan for commercials & automatically remove them (I prefer to do this manually myself). It will automatically rename the output file & add the season & episode number.

However my wife complained, so I decided to try using the compression feature on the program I use to remove commercials, VideoRedo. VRD is the only program that I know of that can compress a video & still keep the .Wtv format.

I do like the picture quality of both MceBuddy & VideoRedo, however on both, the % change (between the original & compressed video) can vary. For example, I had one video that the original size was 1.6GB & at the end it was 374 MB, another one was 727 MB & the output was 372 MB & another one was 2.5 GB & the output was about 500 MB (these are from VRD by the way).

Overall I would probably only be converting 30 shows at a time, so it wouldn't be always compressing in the background. Also it would mainly be for the wife's show, as she doesn't like commercials removed.

All depends on what you're comfortable using. You can probably achieve the same results on Handbrake as you do MCEBuddy or Video Redo. It's just learning the program. If you've learned MCEBuddy or VideoRedo though perfect. The thing is though that MCEBuddy and VR can strip commercials and Handbrake (to the best of my knowledge) cannot so you're STILL forced to use one of those two programs anyway. A lot of people use Handbrake to compress (just because it's so popular and it is more actively updated than VR and MCEBuddy), so they'll strip commerciasl with MCEBuddy/VR then compress with Handbrake.

To each his own though, as long as you get the quality you want in the end. Pretty sure you can get almost exact same results with each program though since they all compress through x264 (A little hazy exactly on this part though but I the review made it much clearer).

Do you use the commercial stripping feature? THat's actually really important to me!

I rip DVD's on my 2500K powered desktop and transfer them to my G620 powered HTPC with a portable HDD. Not only don't I have AnyDVD on my HTPC, I wouldn't want to wait 35+ minutes to rip a DVD vs 7-9 minutes on the 2500K.

I'm with you on that... it took me 6 months to finally figure out to bump up the audio gain when converting them... duh. Everything works OK, but it would be nice knowing if I'm missing a setting in there that would make it better.

Seriously every person who rips TV/DVDs/Bluray should just release their Presets for doing so. Let people be able to legally do it themselves. I have a TON of articles on the subject matter though bookmarked. Which preset do you use?

Last edited:

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
I would agree especially when I saw different results (as far as the time it took to complete) between two different machines using the same software & version.

I'm comfortable with using a program that is easy to use & gives the results that I need. Like I mentioned earlier for some reason trying to find the "perfect/Balanced" setting on handbrake is a pain (IMO), so I when I tried Mcebuddy, I liked the results. I would agree that I could probably get the same result from all 3 programs, but I don't want to spend too much time trying to that point.

As far as the commercial stripping feature goes, I know Mcebuddy can do this, but I don't use it.. Mainly because a lot of the shows always has one part that doesn't get detected right, thus part of the show would be removed or a commercials would still remain.

VRD has a feature where I can tell it to scan a bunch of shows for commercials so all I have to do later on, is open the project file & skim thru the video (there is a timeline bar that I can move like in most vide editing programs) & make any adjustments (which is usually at the very beginning or very end). One I make my adjustments, I save it as the same format (no compression) & then work on the next video. I should also mention that I purchased VRD right after it came out a few years ago, so this wasn't something I got recently just for WMC files.

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I would agree especially when I saw different results (as far as the time it took to complete) between two different machines using the same software & version.

I'm comfortable with using a program that is easy to use & gives the results that I need. Like I mentioned earlier for some reason trying to find the "perfect/Balanced" setting on handbrake is a pain (IMO), so I when I tried Mcebuddy, I liked the results. I would agree that I could probably get the same result from all 3 programs, but I don't want to spend too much time trying to that point.

As far as the commercial stripping feature goes, I know Mcebuddy can do this, but I don't use it.. Mainly because a lot of the shows always has one part that doesn't get detected right, thus part of the show would be removed or a commercials would still remain.

VRD has a feature where I can tell it to scan a bunch of shows for commercials so all I have to do later on, is open the project file & skim thru the video (there is a timeline bar that I can move like in most vide editing programs) & make any adjustments (which is usually at the very beginning or very end). One I make my adjustments, I save it as the same format (no compression) & then work on the next video. I should also mention that I purchased VRD right after it came out a few years ago, so this wasn't something I got recently just for WMC files.

Sounds like exactly what I need! I guess I have to buy it I originally had planned to anyway.

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
Remember there is a two week trial to see if it's something you would want to purchase or not. Also their staff is very helpful on their message board.

Sounds like exactly what I need! I guess I have to buy it I originally had planned to anyway.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Remember there is a two week trial to see if it's something you would want to purchase or not. Also their staff is very helpful on their message board.

True. I definitely need it though. There is no reason to pirate stuff if I have a Ceton Quad Tuner. It's kind of silly though when I think about it. I essential get the same effect. I have the video file without commercials on my PC.

For my friends using HandBrake though and want to actually understand what settings to use this explains it pretty well:
http://mattgadient.com/2013/06/12/a-best-settings-guide-for-handbrake-0-9-9/#comment-8421

My preset encodes with Android come out at very small files and good quality. I'm sure if I made some tweaks I could probably do better. If I had a better CPU/OCed I'd take more time and even do better!

4770k was the best trade off for me price to performance wise. Maybe when I get some cash I'll get SkyLake-E lol. If they even still make Extreme Editions at that point.