i5-2500k default speed

vaios

Apr 17, 2011
Hello guys,
today i finished my new build, which is
i5-2500k, asus p8p67 pro, corsair cl9 1600mhz 2x4gb, msi twinfrozr 560ti

Except the fact that I cannot really get into searching things in EFI BIOS, since my keyboard/mouse is not exactly supported (MS wireless desktop 2000 (Wireless Receiver 3,1A)), i just managed to set my boot device, and set target Dram frequency at 1600 MHz. So all other options are default. I didn't enable XMP profile or anything else.

Below you can see what happens during a simple skype videocall:
Aed5b.jpg
5qfGK.jpg

And then when idle:
mTyjk.jpg

I want my cpu to run at stock speeds and to get to turbo mode only when it is necessary.
Ofcourse it should underclock to 1,6ghz when more speed isn't necessary.

What should I do?

vaios

Apr 17, 2011
Generally the problem is the cpu goes directly from 1.6Ghz to turbo which is now set to normal (3.7GHz) without going to the normal speed (3.3GHz).
Isn't that how it should work? Going to turbo speed only when needed?

zi0n.

Apr 18, 2010
I can't really understand your question but.. from what I understand, if you want your CPU to run at 3.3ghz which is stock all you need to do is disable(BIOS) the power saving features such as EIST and soon. That's the only reason you see it at 1.6ghz when idle.

vaios

Apr 17, 2011
I can't really understand your question but.. from what I understand, if you want your CPU to run at 3.3ghz which is stock all you need to do is disable(BIOS) the power saving features such as EIST and soon. That's the only reason you see it at 1.6ghz when idle.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Sorry for that

I don't mind at all if CPU underclocks when is idle.

The problem is that it never gets to CPU's rated "normal" speed which is 3.3GHz.

It is either 1.6GHz or Turbo to 3.7GHz

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
For the 42x multiplier, did you set that yourself or was it from the Asus automated overclocking tool?

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
1.6Ghz is what the CPU idle aat to save power. The Asus board is most likely adding a small overclock to your Turbo multiplier, thus, the x42 multiplier while under load.

The rated speed of 3.3Ghz is almsot never used. When i have my 2600K at stock it spends most of its time at 3.5Ghz rather than 3.4Ghz purely because 1 or two threads are always active thus turbo kicks in and bumps it up by 100Mhz.

Turbo can be disabled in the BIOS if you would prefer not to use it, but you will have to get a compatible keyboard and mouse :)

vaios

Apr 17, 2011
It was the auto OC tool that changed the turbo multiplier. I set it back to 37. But I never saw 3.3 GHz default speed.

I hope they will fix the keyboard/mouse problem in the upcoming BIOS versions. I really don't want to change them.

MrTransistorm

May 25, 2003
Why does it matter to you if it never runs at the default non-turbo speed? :confused:

You could force it by turning off EIST and C1e, but then it would never drop down to 1.6 GHz at idle.

IntelEnthusiast

Intel Representative
Feb 10, 2011
On the 2nd generation Intel® Core processors, we have updated the technology behind the turbo mode to give increase performance at all times. This site has a demo down at the bottom of the page showing how the new Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 will work for you http://www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/. Let’s just say that if the processor is running anything it will clock up even with all threads running it can run at a faster clock speed.
Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
It was the auto OC tool that changed the turbo multiplier. I set it back to 37. But I never saw 3.3 GHz default speed.
The default speed is the guaranteed speed but the turbo speed is what the CPU will run as long as it sees that the power consumption doesn't exceed the TDP. But when you overclock, it disables the TDP limit so that it always run at the turbo speed regardless of power consumption. The 2500K is so power efficient that even at 4.3GHz it may not exceed the TDP anyways.

Hogan773

Nov 2, 2010
If you just leave everything at AUTO and not type your own multiplier in there, it should run stock. Just so you know, stock is 3.4ghz but turbo can take it from 3.5 to 3.8 depending on how many cores are loaded. 1 core = 3.8, 2 = 3.7, 4=3.5.