i5-2500k at 5Ghz.. wow..

Blades

Oct 9, 1999
ohthatsnice.png

Hey I haven't been on here for a long while (used to have an older sn, must've lost it when boards were converted to this style - that old).. Just thought I'd share the results of my overclock..

Does an iGPU overclock impair the 'oc-ability' of the cpu? Do they have separate voltages? Or does a gpu over-volt just tack on to the total vcore? In that case, the igpu dynamically upclocking could bring system instability to an OC that was considered stable (when the igpu was at a low clock).

Blades

Oct 9, 1999
Sir, why would I poison the information well with such a topic? It is stable.. I ran the 'benchmark' option in 7z to confirm.. Then booted into linux (on a usb 3.0 stick) and compiled my server's kernel (source on ramdisk via 8gb rxdsk).. -j48 i think.. Then cross-compiled kernel for pandaboard (again, source was on ramdisk)..

So.. its not exactly prime95.. but rather the stuff I needed to do.. cpu intensive and all that.. cept for the 7z bench.. I didn't need to do that.. :)

I have the same mobo as you.. Corsair Vengence 1600 16GB (8gbx2)..

how many posts are required to enable 'profile signature'?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Welcome to the forum :)

Upper left blue bar click user control panel then look for sig. I don't think there is a post limit to do sig.

Some stability testing besides the things you do would be best. But to each his own I guess :)

Blades

Oct 9, 1999
What kind of CPU temps are you running?

Max of 60 on one of the cores.. Thats the highest # I see.. Other sensors indicate 58-59..

Check out my awesome case.. (this will substitute for a sig for now)

Thats a vertex3 hanging out in the right hand corner.. 120GB..

messycase.jpg

Absolute0

Nov 9, 2005
Ya stability is the question. I can run 5Ghz prime-stable with 1.4 volts. I screenshotted at 5.4 with 1.44v. If you are on air then your temps probably get too hot to run stable I suspect.

But if you are just screenshotting for high Ghz, you can probably go higher easy. 1.45v, should let you hit 5.3... Unless you are on the stock cooler, then your idle temps will kill your windows stability and you might have problems even screenshotting.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
I can boot into Windows fine at 5 ghz but the moment I run IBT I get a BSOD or black screen lol.

Nice OC.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Unless you are on the stock cooler, then your idle temps will kill your windows stability and you might have problems even screenshotting.
It kind of looked like a stock cooler in the picture, until I found the two pipes between the cooler attachment and the radiator. :cool:

Blades

Oct 9, 1999
I'm currently running with additional turbo voltage and a -.05 offset.. The additional turbo voltage seems to be limited by something..

Funny the mention of stress testing.. as I had a freeze at idle.. most likely due to my over-enthusiastic negative offset.. -0.05 is fine for now.. I guess.

If I have another problem I'll switch back to a positive offset with the additional turbo voltage set to auto..

So in regards to the iGPU overclock?.. I guess I'll find out for myself, eh? I had it up to 1600mhz at 4.8...

and in regards to being on air.. I had the stock cooler for a little bit.. 4.7ghz worked well.. I switched to the H80 just recently.. You can see it in the pics.. Technically its on air.. since theres a fan attached to it..

btw: Thanks to the mod who helped me get my old account merged with the new account.. and a nice change of SN.. Amazing.
Is there any way I can get longer water hoses for the H80? I'll throw it in a bucket of ice..... as running it without the fan was a silly idea

Blades

Oct 9, 1999
No their not, Ive got my Thermaltake modular 700w back in nov 2007 , and its still working, matter fact everything is working that is Tt based for me,,

I was not referring the to quality.. More so the term modular being variable from company to company.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Not buying that OC since you admitted it froze at idle, and you're running it way past spec. Also, your stability claims are kinda vague. Run LinX even just 5 times in succession on all cores and all memory and see if it makes it without bailing. Mine barely makes it with the current specs.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Not buying that OC since you admitted it froze at idle, and you're running it way past spec. Also, your stability claims are kinda vague. Run LinX even just 5 times in succession on all cores and all memory and see if it makes it without bailing. Mine barely makes it with the current specs.

Sounds like the idle bug. He needs to disable C1E and Cstates.

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
I'm currently running with additional turbo voltage and a -.05 offset.. The additional turbo voltage seems to be limited by something..

Funny the mention of stress testing.. as I had a freeze at idle.. most likely due to my over-enthusiastic negative offset.. -0.05 is fine for now.. I guess.

If I have another problem I'll switch back to a positive offset with the additional turbo voltage set to auto..

Nice oc if it's stable.

You're correct. Your freeze at idle was due to the negative offset.

See Idontcare's post in this thread:http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2194577&highlight=

And here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2162-Overclocking-Using-Offset-Mode-for-CPU-Core-Voltage

"So if we offset the voltage too far with the negative voltage scale, there will come a point where the idle voltage is no longer sufficient to sustain
the idle processor clock frequency."

djshortsleeve

Jan 11, 2011
Max of 60 on one of the cores.. Thats the highest # I see.. Other sensors indicate 58-59..

Check out my awesome case.. (this will substitute for a sig for now)

Thats a vertex3 hanging out in the right hand corner.. 120GB..

messycase.jpg

You either:

a) dont have a wife.
B) have a great wife.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Welcome to the forum :)

Upper left blue bar click user control panel then look for sig. I don't think there is a post limit to do sig.

Some stability testing besides the things you do would be best. But to each his own I guess :)

Guy is user number 832 to your 1k+ and you're welcoming him...

I feel like an AT noob with you guys with my paltry user number 2132...

:(

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
The 2500ks are great OCs but at 5GHZ I begin to wonder about stability also. Some chips are and some aren't stable at such a high as 5 Ghz no matter what settings. As for me you can see my settings on both 2500k rigs below. They both have a 44 multiplier and a fsb of 103. This fsb setting originally came about from using the Asus OCing software on my Asus rig for a moderate OC. I can run Intel Burn test all day long, prime 95 till the "cows come home" OCCP?, AIDA64 stress test and on and on and both rigs are rock solid. I like to game so extended gaming sessions are a breeze.
I choose very good mbs and pushed the cpus but not to the breaking point just to say I reached a certain mark.