Question i5 10400 worth buying if you have i7 4770? Editing 4K videos

Perene

Oct 12, 2014
I have this CPU: i7 4770

I like to edit 4K videos and needless to say this setup is very outdated

Someone suggested that I buy the i5 10400, that it would be a lot better than this old CPU, cost/benefit and so forth

Is this CPU worth? If not, in a similar price range, what would you suggest?

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
It's not just the CPU, but motherboard and Ram that will boost overall performance. You shouldn't just look at the cpu but consider motherboard and ram cost as well.

i would suggest 3700x Ryzen , it will give you a good boost at good value. and you can upgrade to 5800x or 5700x down the road.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
If your budget is <= $150 then there isn't really a better choice of CPU than the i5-10400. Microcenter has it on sale right now, and coupled with the discount on a compatible motherboard, it's a very good deal for the price.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
If your budget is <= $150 then there isn't really a better choice of CPU than the i5-10400. Microcenter has it on sale right now, and coupled with the discount on a compatible motherboard, it's a very good deal for the price.

Hard for us to tell you if you are getting a good discount deal from MC. Generally for video editing I would lean toward AMD like the other poster said but hey a deal is a deal.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Hard for us to tell you if you are getting a good discount deal from MC. Generally for video editing I would lean toward AMD like the other poster said but hey a deal is a deal.
There are no sub-$200 AMD CPUs worth buying at the moment as they're all priced higher than what they were used to a few months ago. The 3600 is available for $220 when it used to go for $160-170 a few months ago. As amusing as it sounds Intel is the best budget option right now.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
There are no sub-$200 AMD CPUs worth buying at the moment as they're all priced higher than what they were used to a few months ago. The 3600 is available for $220 when it used to go for $160-170 a few months ago. As amusing as it sounds Intel is the best budget option right now.

I'm not surprised. We're in the midst of the holiday season and low supply has really pushed prices up. I might not have been too clear in my other post but I think you should buy whatever the best deal is right now, be it intel or amd.

Perene

Oct 12, 2014
It's not just the CPU, but motherboard and Ram that will boost overall performance. You shouldn't just look at the cpu but consider motherboard and ram cost as well.

i would suggest 3700x Ryzen , it will give you a good boost at good value. and you can upgrade to 5800x or 5700x down the road.
The 3700x Ryzen costs +- US$ 320 while the i5 10400 is selling for US$ 160. Is it worth paying 2x? How can I find out how much better they perform against each other, especially in 4K video editing, and also against the old i7 4770?

At least according to this link the Ryzen beats the i5 in multiple instances, but it's unclear to me if it's worth paying what they are asking:

It's hard to make a decision without having a clear idea on how much all these CPUs are better or worse than each other.

Reactions: Tlh97 and dvsv

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
The 3700x Ryzen costs +- US$ 320 while the i5 10400 is selling for US$ 160. Is it worth paying 2x? How can I find out how much better they perform against each other, especially in 4K video editing, and also against the old i7 4770?

At least according to this link the Ryzen beats the i5 in multiple instances, but it's unclear to me if it's worth paying what they are asking:

It's hard to make a decision without having a clear idea on how much all these CPUs are better or worse than each other.
You can have a look at Puget System's Adobe Premiere Pro benchmarking - it doesn't have the 10400 or 3700X but it does include the 10600K and the 3800XT. You can probably extrapolate from those numbers the relative performance of the 3700X and 10400. As you can see you'd be paying 2x for roughly 20% more performance. It's up to you whether that is worth it.

Feb 4, 2009

This

and this

Honestly I’d up the budget and get an AMD Ryzen machine even if that means saving up for a few months.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Before you go off investing in new hardware, you need to take a hard look at your current system and figure out what's currently your limiting factor.

While you are editing video, have task manager open to the detailed performance information. Not knowing your current software package being used, we don't know if it's very multi threaded, or heavily single thread bound. If you go out and buy a six core processor with a poor clock ceiling, and your software is heavily single threaded, you're likely to see very little improvement in your software performance. What you are looking for is in task manager, with logical processors listed, are you seeing one or two processors pegged at 100%, and the rest barely hitting 20%, then you are single core bound and need a major boost in clock speeds. You'll likely want the 10600k, or, if that's out of reach, the 10320 for now.

If, on the other hand, you're seeing four threads or eight threads equally loaded, then your software is well threaded, and the 10400 will give you a notable improvement. However, if that's really the case, then you'll see your biggest gains with going for more cores. Unfortunately, now is an absolutely crazy time to be looking for more than six cores because everything eight cores and above, with SMT, is selling for obscene prices. You can't even get a new 2700 for under $300 right now from any of the big sellers.

So, take a hard look at what's going on with your current computer before you spend and money on this.