Question i5-1035G1 question

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Greetings,

I'm no that familiar in the Intel notation of the cpu freq, I hope someone that knows can help me.
I'm looking for a mobile cpu that can work with all cores with cpu freq of above 2.5 Ghz, will the i5-1035G1 do the work?
all I can find is base at 1.00 GHz and max turbo is 3.60 GHz.
but there is no reference of max freq that all cores in the cpu can work in.
I found an unofficial reference that states boost clock on all cores is 3.3GHz. but afaik, boost doesn't means constant.

can anyone shed some light on the issue?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
When in doubt about mobile CPUs, I find that notebookcheck is a good place to start.

They claim that the all-core boost for the i3-1035G1 is 3.2 GHz. As to how long it can sustain that boost, it will probably vary from chassis to chassis based on cooling configurations and tau values. Note the CPU can be configured with a TDP up to 25W, which would be the variant with the longest all-core boost periods @ 3.3 GHz.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Based on @DrMrLordX 's suggestion, you can take a look at this Dell XPS 13 9300 review to make a more informed opinion.

The short version is the 1035G1 cannot sustain 2.5Ghz @ 15W TDP but will do 2.5Ghz @ 25W TDP.

Here's a frequency and power graph from that review, with two colored plots for 2 different cooling scenarios: Green for Optimized and Red for Performance. In both cases the CPU will occasionally jump to 25W, but in Performance mode will try to stay longer, in fact as long as the cooling can handle (unfortunately the cooling cannot sustain this indefinitely.

2020_03_07_13_16_17_Generic_Log_Viewer_5.jpg

In the graph above I have marked the moment when the CPU drops from 25W to 15W in Performance mode, you can see the clocks also drop from 2.5Ghz to 1.7-1.8Ghz.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Greetings,

I'm no that familiar in the Intel notation of the cpu freq, I hope someone that knows can help me.
I'm looking for a mobile cpu that can work with all cores with cpu freq of above 2.5 Ghz, will the i5-1035G1 do the work?
You can probably find a laptop with cooling headroom that would let 1035G1 run at 2.5GHz. Which doesn't mean it would. Mobile SoCs are designed to boost.

If you're thinking about max throughput, it'll be hard to beat the boost mechanism - and even if, it won't be a significant gain.
If you're after a guaranteed base performance (e.g. you're running a server and it has to respond quickly), this SoC is very nearly the worst choice you can make.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
take Dell Inspiron 15 5593 for example, https://www.dell.com/support/manual...3c749b-64b3-4b7f-9c9d-c3acb5dd7848&lang=en-us
it says it's watts is 15W so according to coercitiv, I need to find a laptop that it's vendor reports it work at 25W

am I right?
No. Just check reviews and get the laptop that offers most CPU performance. It will always say "15W" because that's the TDP.

Still, what you're trying to achieve is probably impossible. CPU will do what it thinks is best for performance (and it's usually right).
If you're worried that it'll be slow because the box says "1GHz", don't be. You should look at actual performance, not these meaningless numbers.

Also, you've posted an awful advertising link. Don't do that as well. :)

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
No. Just check reviews and get the laptop that offers most CPU performance. It will always say "15W" because that's the TDP.

Still, what you're trying to achieve is probably impossible. CPU will do what it thinks is best for performance (and it's usually right).
If you're worried that it'll be slow because the box says "1GHz", don't be. You should look at actual performance, not these meaningless numbers.
I'm trying to find a laptop under budget that will run vegas pro, there is says it need a gen6 intel, 4 cores and atleast 2.5Ghz for a family member, I'd rather tell him that under this budget it won't work/work badly than tell him to buy without any headsup.
Also, you've posted an awful advertising link. Don't do that as well. :)
I had no intention to do so, just wanted to give an example as that specific model was the first model that poped up in google search when searching for that cpu model.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
I'm trying to find a laptop under budget that will run vegas pro, there is says it need a gen6 intel, 4 cores and atleast 2.5Ghz for a family member, I'd rather tell him that under this budget it won't work/work badly than tell him to buy without any headsup.

I had no intention to do so, just wanted to give an example as that specific model was the first model that poped up in google search when searching for that cpu model.

I don't suppose there is any chance your family member would consider a desktop? The larger power budget of a desktop is more appropriate for that workload.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Oh. That's meaningless.
The way they got these 2.5GHz is: they run this software on few *desktop* CPUs from 6th gen and they decided that some model running 2.5GHz will be called as the minimal.
(Or the more pessimistic variant: they just put a random figure.)

This absolutely doesn't mean Vegas Pro won't work on CPUs with lower frequency or less cores.
And most importantly: this has no implication for mobile CPUs.

Vegas will run fine on that i5-1035G1, i.e. it'll be smooth and comfortable to operate.
Obviously, when you run a big job that will take an hour, a 15W mobile SoC will be slower than a 65W desktop one. No way around it.

If you want better long-term processing and you can sacrifice some mobility, look at entry-level gaming laptops (with -H processors). They're usually badly made, heavy and with lower battery life, but you get more performance for the price.
I meant the actual link. You wanted to post a link to Dell, which is absolutely fine. But check what's actually there. :)

randomhero

Apr 28, 2020
If workload is what you said then don't get intel based laptop but amd one, specifically with renoir cpu aka ryzen mobile 4000 series.
Since I don't know your budget, chech reviews yourself and find what suits you(your family mrmber).
There is renoir thread in this forum also, so check that to.
But right out of my mind there is lenovo idea pad s, acer swift, one dell and few asus laptops with renoir cpu. Avoid asus tuf gaming-it is bad laptop.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Oh. That's meaningless.
The way they got these 2.5GHz is: they run this software on few *desktop* CPUs from 6th gen and they decided that some model running 2.5GHz will be called as the minimal.
(Or the more pessimistic variant: they just put a random figure.)

This absolutely doesn't mean Vegas Pro won't work on CPUs with lower frequency or less cores.
And most importantly: this has no implication for mobile CPUs.

Vegas will run fine on that i5-1035G1, i.e. it'll be smooth and comfortable to operate.
Obviously, when you run a big job that will take an hour, a 15W mobile SoC will be slower than a 65W desktop one. No way around it.

If you want better long-term processing and you can sacrifice some mobility, look at entry-level gaming laptops (with -H processors). They're usually badly made, heavy and with lower battery life, but you get more performance for the price.
you mean like i5-8300H?

I meant the actual link. You wanted to post a link to Dell, which is absolutely fine. But check what's actually there. :)
I did, haven't found any advertisment. maybe it is blocked by my browser addons.

I don't suppose there is any chance your family member would consider a desktop? The larger power budget of a desktop is more appropriate for that workload.
I've tried that, no luck

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
If workload is what you said then don't get intel based laptop but amd one, specifically with renoir cpu aka ryzen mobile 4000 series.
Since I don't know your budget, chech reviews yourself and find what suits you(your family mrmber).
There is renoir thread in this forum also, so check that to.
But right out of my mind there is lenovo idea pad s, acer swift, one dell and few asus laptops with renoir cpu. Avoid asus tuf gaming-it is bad laptop.
amd is almost non existent where I live, Intel dominates the market, importing via amazon will pass the budget

randomhero

Apr 28, 2020
Heh, too bad.
Otherwise this gen of amd cpus are superior to intel's in every way.
Try to get most cores you can in your budget.
Series 8000,9000 and 10000 are all same cpu basically. Only exception are icelake arch based one in 10000 series.
Google for those specific models. They are all without exception max 4 cores. 6 and 8 core ones are coffelake based ones.
But with intel high core ones come with a price. That is why I recomended amd, besides that those are much better cpu. Well,in most cases.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Might be better off with a DTR laptop (desktop replacement). Unless it has to be in the thin n' light category as well?
I'm pretty sure this is out of my budget range.

Heh, too bad.
Otherwise this gen of amd cpus are superior to intel's in every way.
Try to get most cores you can in your budget.
Series 8000,9000 and 10000 are all same cpu basically. Only exception are icelake arch based one in 10000 series.
Google for those specific models. They are all without exception max 4 cores. 6 and 8 core ones are coffelake based ones.
But with intel high core ones come with a price. That is why I recomended amd, besides that those are much better cpu. Well,in most cases.
I agree on this.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
amd is almost non existent where I live, Intel dominates the market, importing via amazon will pass the budget
Can i ask what country?

Should check out something like the Lenovo idea pad slim 5 14 or 15 inch , buy it direct from lenovo
its getting amazing reviews ( i've bought one , waiting for it to arrive) , see if your region has a model
https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_5_14ARE05?search=true

Also are they going to use an external monitor or care about colour accuracy? because display gamut is one of those things that can be very poor in the value for money laptops , for example the one i recommended above isn't great, its good for its price point but below "premium" devices ( some regions can get 100rgb as an upgrade but not many).