i3 pricing

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
maybe you are right on that one. I haven't looked at many overclocked i5 articles. I did come across this one from Anandtech using the i7 870 (3.8GHz w 1.3V difference being around 34W):

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3640&p=2

it explains how with their sample, going over 1.3V created a lot more heat.

But if you can reason that a dual core is sufficient for "practical" gaming, why would you specifically want a 4GHz quad core (vs. a 3.8GHz one for example)? And why would you want to overclock at all? It would be like burning the money that you worked so hard for.

I never said there wasn't a game that could utilize four cores.

Smart money is on the Core i3 especially when Tower cooler and extra energy drain of a 45nm quad core won't help frame rates one bit.

Last edited:

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
OK, you are right on that one.

but if you think duals are capable of modern gaming (which I agree with), then why waste money by overclocking? Of course, the i3 will also consume more power when overclocked, so why spend the extra money and create more heat when a stock cpu should be sufficient?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
But if you can reason that a dual core is sufficient for "practical" gaming, why would you specifically want a 4GHz quad core (vs. a 3.8GHz one for example)? And why would you want to overclock at all? It would be like burning the money that you worked so hard for.

I just think Eyefinity sounds a lot more interesting for gaming.

But some people don't care about Eyefinity and like CPU Benchmarking instead.

Last edited:

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
if there ever were a motherboard that you could run quadfire along with an i3, the gpus would not be a bottleneck and the quad core would improve your fps.

I just think Eyefinity sounds a lot more interesting for gaming.

But some people don't care about Eyefinity and like CPU Benchmarking instead.

which has nothing to do with why you would consider overclocking an i3 that you think should be sufficient for gaming (creating more heat/ wasting your dollars)

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
if there ever were a motherboard that you could run quadfire along with an i3, the gpus would not be a bottleneck and the quad core would improve your fps.

Depends on how many monitors are being used and how graphically demanding the game engine is.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
Three Arrandale 32nm on January 3rd

Two days before CES 2010

Intel plans to launch at least three Arrandale based Core i5 and Core i7 processors on January 3 and none of them will be what we call cheap.
Core i5 520M, the cheapest of the lot, has two cores and four threads at a base frequency of 2.4GHz and of course it dues supports turbo and it can run even faster. It comes with 3MB cache and will sell for $225.

The runner up is Core i5 540M with two cores, four threads, turbo, 3MB L2 cache, a 2.53GHz frequency and as of January 3rd it will sell for $257.

The last one is called Core i7 620M and it also has two cores and four thread support and 4MB cache and base frequency of 2.66GHz. It supports Turbo and can run faster and will sell for $332 if you buy thousands of them.

They are all power hogs and their TDP including graphics will end up at not very attractive 35W.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16642/1/

Not i3, but 32nm. Soon... sooon

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
Three Arrandale 32nm on January 3rd

Two days before CES 2010

Intel plans to launch at least three Arrandale based Core i5 and Core i7 processors on January 3 and none of them will be what we call cheap.
Core i5 520M, the cheapest of the lot, has two cores and four threads at a base frequency of 2.4GHz and of course it dues supports turbo and it can run even faster. It comes with 3MB cache and will sell for $225.

The runner up is Core i5 540M with two cores, four threads, turbo, 3MB L2 cache, a 2.53GHz frequency and as of January 3rd it will sell for $257.

The last one is called Core i7 620M and it also has two cores and four thread support and 4MB cache and base frequency of 2.66GHz. It supports Turbo and can run faster and will sell for $332 if you buy thousands of them.

They are all power hogs and their TDP including graphics will end up at not very attractive 35W.
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16642/1/
Not i3, but 32nm. Soon... sooon
LOL @ calling 35W unattractive, since that includes the whole of the NB as well. Nor is there any mention of GPU-turbo.
But yeah, those are the exact numbers we've known for i7M/i5M for months.