i3-6100 & GPU

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-core-i3-6100-review

Eurogamer hasn't directly compared the 280x (or 380x) vs 960 on slower CPUs, but this is their review for Skylake i3s.

Note that it seems more and more games are getting mileage out of faster RAM speeds than they used to, it seems Fallout 4 is still an outlier in how big of a deal it is, but not in the fact that RAM speed makes a noticeable impact.

Maybe the question is better, do you have fast enough RAM to handle a small amount of extra overhead? Look at Ryse -- Going to slightly slower RAM halves the frame rate! It could be that the so-called AMD driver bottleneck is RAM related in addition/instead of CPU related? The issue certainly could use more data... I'm going to start a separate thread on this to not clog this one.

Link the thread here please?

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2456903

Nobody is posting much in it since it isn't an AMD vs nVidia thread, but there it is anyways.

I think the bottom line is if you're rolling with an i3, get the fastest RAM your mobo will support. The cost to move from DDR4 2133 to DDR4 2666 gets you good FPS in certain games and it isnt all that much more money, especially if you watch for deals

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-core-i3-6100-review

Eurogamer hasn't directly compared the 280x (or 380x) vs 960 on slower CPUs, but this is their review for Skylake i3s.

Note that it seems more and more games are getting mileage out of faster RAM speeds than they used to, it seems Fallout 4 is still an outlier in how big of a deal it is, but not in the fact that RAM speed makes a noticeable impact.

Maybe the question is better, do you have fast enough RAM to handle a small amount of extra overhead? Look at Ryse -- Going to slightly slower RAM halves the frame rate! It could be that the so-called AMD driver bottleneck is RAM related in addition/instead of CPU related? The issue certainly could use more data... I'm going to start a separate thread on this to not clog this one.

Thus far I have only seen that phenomenon on the I3. Are there any benchmarks showing faster memory -> higher fps on anything else?

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
Looking at a 960 2nd hand if i can find one. Not up on Graphics these days.Problem i got is budget. Easy to say save up or do this or that but i want to game now! lol

Mar 10, 2006
I will. Probably after Christmas now. Definitely seems faster than an AMD A8-7600. Miles faster!

Yeah, you really can't beat single-threaded goodness even in general purpose usage. The 6100 is a heck of a chip and I think you made a great choice. The CPU will last you for a long time, and you have a very nice modern platform that you can upgrade down the line if you need to.

Congratulations again! :thumbsup:

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Still capable?

Speed wise it's fine, in some games such as gta v / dying light you do have to play with settings a bit in order not to exceed the 2gb vram limit. But it's still very capable (especially with some overclocking). Look at the graph here. All the cards running factory settings (no OC):

gta5_1920_1080.gif

With some OC:

perf_oc.gif

Anything else around that price point?
Just wait for the right deal. Christmas is coming.

Last edited: