I would like to see Japan rearmed itself over again.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Japanese should develop the atomic bomb for defensive purposes to keep North Korea in check. Or maybe develop futuristic weapon's for counteracting against nuclear weapons.

If I was the prime minister of Japan, I would definitely look into this. I would not rely on other countries to defend Japan. We know how ineffective the UN can be.

Comments?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Considering this is the second thread about Japan needing a military, I think some people need to double check what Japan does have.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
IIRC, Japan was one of the biggest voices for nuclear arms reduction.

Japan does not need nuclear weapons, any nation that intentionally launches a nuke at Japan will become glass in less than an hour thanks to a US retaliation. The same applies to South Korea.

Japan has a significant military already. I am not sure how well integrated Japan, US and South Korea are in regards to their militaries.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I would not be opposed to Japan having a strong defensive, yet nonnuclear capability. However, they must acknowledge their part of the atrocities in Asia in WW2. Only then would the world find this acceptable.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
No, IMHO, the real danger here is an arms race in Asia. It may be all well and fine to talk about North Korea, but the real danger is awakening the sleeping giant of China.

The time is long past when a pygmy like Japan could dominate China, Korea, and the Asia as they did 70-80 years ago, but those Japanese atrocities are still fresh living memories, and any Japanese rearmament will ring alarm bell in the entire region.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Lemon law
a pygmy like Japan

Their nation suffered a huge defeat in the 1940s, was occupied by a foreign power for a few years and still managed to bounce back to become the 2nd largest economy in the world even with relatively few natural resources. I would hardly call Japan or its people pygmy.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
a pygmy like Japan

Their nation suffered a huge defeat in the 1940s, was occupied by a foreign power for a few years and still managed to bounce back to become the 2nd largest economy in the world even with relatively few natural resources. I would hardly call Japan or its people pygmy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You make a very valid point Schradenfroh, but still, numerically Japan is a pygmy.

When the US and the Europeans arrived in Asia in a big way circa 1850, Japan was almost the lone exception nation in Asia to embrace and copy Western methods.

As the tensions between WWI and WW2 distracted European from the Asian region, its allowed Japan with its technological superiority to totally and brutally dominate the Asian region, and in the immediate post pearl harbor attack period, the entire East Pacific Ocean was a de facto Japanese lake as Japan militarily dominated Asian nations 100X bigger in population.

That was then and now is now, you are right that Japan has done quite well thank you, but the rest of Asia has now embraced Western methods, and they still resent the sins of the Japanese past. And right now, the biggest Asian success story is China, who in 30 years or so has gone from a Mao vision of an isolationist agricultural model, to the industrial giant its has become. And a China looking outward is something new in the last 500 years of world history. Thus far China is spending little to increase its military strength, but sadly, for ever dime Japan spends in building up its military will likely inspire a far bigger Chinese reponse.

Hence my comments about a Japanese pygmy and the dangers of an Asian arms race.

A century ago, a similarly sized Island nation has a better position, and it could be said that the sun never set on the British empire. We all only occupy and live in a limited slice in time,
but still, we should be looking at the longer sweep of History.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

Japan does not need nuclear weapons, any nation that intentionally launches a nuke at Japan will become glass in less than an hour thanks to a US retaliation. The same applies to South Korea.

Japan has a significant military already. I am not sure how well integrated Japan, US and South Korea is in regards to their militaries.

japan and south korea are still very untrusting of each other. i woudlnt be surprised if they weren't too integrated whatsoever

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
I would not be opposed to Japan having a strong defensive, yet nonnuclear capability. However, they must acknowledge their part of the atrocities in Asia in WW2. Only then would the world find this acceptable.

this.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
a pygmy like Japan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You make a very valid point Schradenfroh, but still, numerically Japan is a pygmy.

When the US and the Europeans arrived in Asia in a big way circa 1850, Japan was almost the lone exception nation in Asia to embrace and copy Western methods.

As the tensions between WWI and WW2 distracted European from the Asian region, its allowed Japan with its technological superiority to totally and brutally dominate the Asian region, and in the immediate post pearl harbor attack period, the entire East Pacific Ocean was a de facto Japanese lake as Japan militarily dominated Asian nations 100X bigger in population.

That was then and now is now, you are right that Japan has done quite well thank you, but the rest of Asia has now embraced Western methods, and they still resent the sins of the Japanese past. And right now, the biggest Asian success story is China, who in 30 years or so has gone from a Mao vision of an isolationist agricultural model, to the industrial giant its has become. And a China looking outward is something new in the last 500 years of world history. Thus far China is spending little to increase its military strength, but sadly, for ever dime Japan spends in building up its military will likely inspire a far bigger Chinese reponse.

Hence my comments about a Japanese pygmy and the dangers of an Asian arms race.

A century ago, a similarly sized Island nation has a better position, and it could be said that the sun never set on the British empire. We all only occupy and live in a limited slice in time,
but still, we should be looking at the longer sweep of History.

100x bigger in population? Even China isn't 100x bigger in population than Japan, Japan has a loooooooot of people on that island, their population to England's is about the same ratio as China to Japan.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: evident

japan and south korea are still very untrusting of each other. i woudlnt be surprised if they weren't too integrated whatsoever

I wouldn't be surprised either. Part of what made the WBC so interesting is how often these two teams came up against each other. It's not USSR vs USA fierce as they aren't hostile towards each other or in a state of cold war, but they certainly aren't USA / GB cuddly either.

I'd wonder in a different world if they didn't both have China and N. Korea to deal with together what their relation would actually be?

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: oogabooga

I wouldn't be surprised either. Part of what made the WBC so interesting is how often these two teams came up against each other. It's not USSR vs USA fierce as they aren't hostile towards each other or in a state of cold war, but they certainly aren't USA / GB cuddly either.

I'd wonder in a different world if they didn't both have China and N. Korea to deal with together what their relation would actually be?

Koreans, as a rule, despise the Japanese. If you want to know why, you should read a little about Japanese occupation of Korea (before WW2)

Deliximus

Aug 11, 2001
The Japanese atrocities in WW2 need to be recognized and apologized for first before they can even think about that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: cyclohexane
Originally posted by: MovingTarget

this.
+
miketheidiot's post
=
/thread

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Japan has a significant military already. I am not sure how well integrated Japan, US and South Korea is in regards to their militaries.

Less distrustful of each other, I'd bet, than North Korea and Japan. SK and Japan at least have allies in common.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Fcking morons, you know that if anyone ever laid a nuclear finger on Japan they'd be nuked by us? What the hell does a nuke in Japan prove when they're protected by the strongest military force in the world? Morons.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Japan already possesses the most technologically advanced military in that corner of the globe outside of our own (we routinely sell them pretty much our best gear).

They have no need to maintain a nuclear deterrent as long as the US is a close strategic partner. Any nation launching nuclear weapons against Japan would rather quickly find itself in a world of thermonuclear hurt courtesy the US military.