I would like to overclock my 1.3ghz celeron

Solodays

Jun 26, 2003
i have an 5 year old emachine equip w/ 1.3 ghz celeron, 512ram sd, pci ati 9200, xp home. everytime i visit pages with video ads, it lags really bad, and im quite certain that the component to blame is the 1.3 celeron.

all i wanted is the ability to surf the net smoothly without the damn videos ads slowing it down.i was just wondering.. would it help if i overclock it?

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Solodays
I would like to overclock my 1.3ghz celeron

i have an 5 year old emachine equip w/ 1.3 ghz celeron,

would it help if i overclock it?
1. No, you can't OC with that MB.
2. It might help you out, but you can't OC with that MB.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Try filtering the ads. Perhaps use firefox with the adblock and flashblock extension or fill your Hosts file with respective known ad sites (google Hosts file.)

To overclock, you'll need a motherboard that permits adjusting the cpu and ram defaults, which low end boards like emachines don't have.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: jjsole
Try filtering the ads. Perhaps use firefox with the adblock and flashblock extension or fill your Hosts file with respective known ad sites (google Hosts file.)

Agreed but to a novice user I don't recommend modifying the hosts file. On top of those firefox extensions listed you may want to add No Script as well.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Back up your stuff, sell it, then get something decent and cheap off of craigslist (P4/512mb or more/80gb or larger/etc). Should be able to get out under $200 if so :)

EDIT : if you're up to the task of building, go to the egg and select :

Cheap but decently reviewed mid-tower case w/psu ($35ish)
Socket AM2 mobo w/Nvidia or ATI Video onboard (the 690G is nice and cheap with Radeon X1250 onboard) ($60ish)
Socket AM2 Athlon 64 3500+ ($50 retail w/heatsink/fan)
1GB DDR2 Kit ($35)
Maxtor 160GB Sata 3.0 HDD ($45)
18X Sata DVD+-RW ($30)
XP Home or Vista Home Basic ($90)

So, for around $350, you can have a nice system, much nicer than the crap cheapo systems that come with Celerons or Semprons, 512mb, etc.

And, if you have your own copy of Windows already, you can knock about $100 of the price. WinXP is better w/1GB anyway. Vista flies with 2GB, but 1GB is pushing it.

Solodays

Jun 26, 2003
i guess theres nothing i can do to up the performance. it's so sloOOoooW..NOooooOOOOOOoooOOOOOO all i wanted is surf the web, why celeron, why r u sooo sloooOW :(

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Solodays
i guess theres nothing i can do to up the performance. it's so sloOOoooW..NOooooOOOOOOoooOOOOOO all i wanted is surf the web, why celeron, why r u sooo sloooOW :(

Get firefox 2.06 and the mentioned no-ads surfing plugin to address surfing issues.

For a better solution, Dell boxes are $429 WITH 20" LCD monitors, so I wouldn't put a lot of work into your current PC..