I would have demanded WAY more.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I wonder how many ATOTers would have argued for the death penalty for this "disguting waste of flesh rapist asshole" or whatever they could have come up with to call him.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: notfred
I wonder how many ATOTers would have argued for the death penalty for this "disguting waste of flesh rapist asshole" or whatever they could have come up with to call him.

grom1985

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: maziwanka
i couldnt imagine losing 15 years of my life like that....

Agreed. He's 44, so that means that he went in around what, 29? Good lord, that's prime-of-your-life material right there. I'm sure he's just happy to finally be free, but yeah, even I might be just a wheee bit bitter after all of that.

Then again, it does make you wonder exactly how they coerced a confession out of an innocent man. I'm definitely not denying that it happened, but curious as to what exactly went on. I know that it'd take a lot for me to admit guilt for something that I know I didn't do. But at the same time, I can't say it wouldn't happen if I've been kept in a little room for like four days straight without any kind of break.

Jan 18, 2001
WTF!?!?!?!?

"We still don't think we did anything wrong," said Joseph J. Pizonka, the Upper Merion solicitor. "But we got to thinking, 'He spent 15 years of his life in prison. What is that worth?' "

what a crappy attitude.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
He should not have confessed.

That being said if I were the judge, I'd give him a baseball bat and put both him and the coerces in the room together for 5 minutes

GoodToGo

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
I would have not demanded extra money but asked the people who coerced him to spend 15 years in jail. Then maybe people who uphold the law might learn to respect it as well.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Passions
After lawyer fees and taxes, the poor dude will prolly get like $500k.
unless it is settled out of court, awards aren't taxable.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
"We still don't think we did anything wrong," said Joseph J. Pizonka, the Upper Merion solicitor. "But we got to thinking, 'He spent 15 years of his life in prison. What is that worth?' "

Yeah, right. Towns give out 2.3 million because they have hearts of gold.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

Yeah, right. Towns give out 2.3 million because they have hearts of gold.
Upper Merion is one of the richest suburbs in the country. They can afford it...

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
seems reasonable... usually this kind of stuff happens to people who weren't going that far in life to begin with anyways

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I think they should send the people who co-erced the confession to jail, not for 15 years, but for a period for perverting the course of justice. Criminals get it, why not officers, (if they force a false confession)?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I feel sorry for him, and I find this kind of treatment by our "justice" system deplorable and inexcuseable, but I feel that he should not have confessed. It is well-known that unscrupulous police officers frequently seek to coerce confessions from suspects by telling the suspect that they "just want to know the truth" and "if you tell us that you did it, we'll let you go", etc. IMO, falling for such obvious lies should be a crime in itself.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Luckily he doesn't live in a state that has a cap on what they give out. I think Illionis, which has one of the highest false accusation rates in the nation has a cap of $500,000. Others have set rates like $15 or $25 a day for each day of captivitiy.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Luckily he doesn't live in a state that has a cap on what they give out. I think Illionis, which has one of the highest false accusation rates in the nation has a cap of $500,000. Others have set rates like $15 or $25 a day for each day of captivitiy.

That kind of cap is rediculous, but I suppose you have to set a limit. 15 years of my life is probably going to be worth WAY more than $500K, or even $2 million. At $25 per day, you are looking at $140,000.

I guess the state can never give you back your lost time, which is the most valuable thing of all. However, I sure ask heck would expect more than what they give people.

15 years...

R