I wonder if AMD would have special bin (high TDP) 8C/16T processors available for X399?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
A higher TDP/faster stock clocked dual channel 8C/16T CPU running on a higher TDP quad channel socket? (Perhaps the AMD analogue to Kabylake X?)

Or maybe two 4C/8T dual chanel processors MCM for a high TDP quad channel 8C/16T? (using either two harvested Summit Ridge dies or maybe even two Raven Ridge dies with iGPU disabled)

EDIT: Thread title changed from "X390" to "X399"

Last edited:

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Rumour has it that a B2 stepping is being prepared - whether this is initially limited to the X390 releases or not is a different matter. (Of course, at some point B2 will roll out across the entire line.)

I wouldn't expect great clock increases, rather improved power efficiency.

edit: @csbin: If the 12C/16C parts don't come with the same single core turbo clock speeds as the 1800X, then I'd hope AMD do release 8C variants for use on (what I'd expect/hope include) eATX motherboards

Last edited:
Reactions: Drazick and cbn

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
edit: @csbin: If the 12C/16C parts don't come with the same single core turbo clock speeds as the 1800X, then I'd hope AMD do release 8C variants for use on (what I'd expect/hope include) eATX motherboards

If the processor TDP is higher (???) on X390 than it is on AM4 (95W) then single core turbo should be at least the same no matter how cores on the X390 processor.

Multi-core turbo across a lower number of cores should be similar too (though keep in mind the rumored X390 processors have extra memory controllers and PCIe lanes (compared to AM4) to feed as well so TDP would need to be higher than AM4 to compensate for this)

P.S. I have no idea what the TDP will be for X390, but I'm guessing it will be at least 125W.

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
In the last sentence of the opening post I mentioned using two Raven Ridge dies MCM.

I wonder if they could even make a quad channel 6C/12T out of that? (using two Raven Ridge dies each with a defect in one of the cores) That would be interesting! (Just realize it would have less PCIe lanes and most likely less cache compared to using two Zeppelin dies MCM).

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
@cbn - google "AMD X390" - there have been leaks, and most of your guessing/speculating is unnecessary.

Yes, for X390 the leaks are showing two Zeppelin dies MCM.....so that would up to 16C/32T.

But that doesn't address my 2 out of 3 of my questions.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I personally expect them to have an entry-level 8 core cpu for their HEDT platform, maybe not initially. There were ones already wanting more PCI-Express than what AM4 provided. An 8 core with a Quad channel memory controller and 64 PCI-Express lanes (even more than Intel's new HEDT coming out IIRC) would be the sweet spot for more than a few. If yields are to good though, they may not make one.

Reactions: cbn

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I personally expect them to have an entry-level 8 core cpu for their HEDT platform, maybe not initially. There were ones already wanting more PCI-Express than what AM4 provided. An 8 core with a Quad channel memory controller and 64 PCI-Express lanes (even more than Intel's new HEDT coming out IIRC) would be the sweet spot for more than a few. If yields are to good though, they may not make one.

I think they would. It would basically be free money. Cut back on some 1500/1400 stock ($130-$170 CPU's) Create a $550 CPU to slot in above the 1800x. Then a 12 core for $750 and a 16 core for $1k. There goal should be to get the ASP per Zeppelin die as high possible but not to price it out of the market for just another "AMD" purchase. Compared to the 6950 the 16 core would be a steal at $1.7k. But for but that is too much for a workstation or home user and is solely in the server territory for AMD purchases. These prices would increase the ASP, while keeping the cost in range, by being an "amazing value" this gen they kind of lock people into the platform. In 3 years if you had a HEDT setup from AMD would you switch to an Intel platform if you could still get a really good upgrade for your current motherboard. It's one thing at the $100-$200 it's another on the $250-$400 range for the boards.

This is where Intel's socket replacement cycle is going to bite them in the butt. Every upgrade for pretty much 98% of the people out there requires a new platform. There isn't any savings by staying with the manufacturer. If I could have just gotten a BW-E 8 core even at the $1k it costs now to throw into my previous system I would have done it in a heartbeat. But instead I was looking at a minimum of $1500 just to gut my machine for the update. That $1k while wildly expensive would have been worth it the extra $500 took it into the range of a full Ryzen 1700 build. Same thing will happen 3-4 years time. People will be looking at their CPU's and wonder if it's time to upgrade when they do, they could look at Intel and it will be certainly a CPU and Mobo purchase. With Zenver 3 or 4 it could still be a drop in replacement and even if AMD is selling at more of premium level it might still be worth it even if Intel still has a performance lead.

A little bit of tangent there but the main point is a 8c HEDT CPU is a good way to get people into a platform that people won't have to change if they don't want to for upgrades and selling them at Value pricing specially as they are trying to rebuild loyalty and good will would be a great way to get followup purchases.

Reactions: formulav8

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
Yeah, Whitehaven might be the workstation platform. I'm curious about the potential of XFR in these higher TDP platforms. It could be a fair bit higher with the added TDP range and with the rumored 14 LPU (although this seems to line up better with Zen+ timeline).

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I really hope there is a 8c version. The AM4 platform has me a little worried given how my 2600k system has grown over the years. I don't feel like I need more than 8c, but more IO I can see.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

8C/16T "1900X" announced:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11678...1920x-august-10th-new-1900x-549-usd-august-31

Reactions: formulav8