I wonder.... How many Trump flip flops will it take?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Watching the US election process, from the context of *not* being a US citizen, has been interesting. I'm not surprised Trump on the Republican nomination, as he was simply the first to drop "political talk" and speak from the hip. I am also not surprised that his campaign team is frantically trying to curtail any damage done with moderate/soft Republicans who might be leaning to an independent or simply not voting. However, given that his public support appeared to be from fringe political groups, it's also not surprising that he now finds himself in a tug of war in his own party.

Still, watching American politics play out in the public space, where devotees of the Church of the Right or Left proclaim their undying loyalty is kind of scary.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
You just prefer a different flavor of scandal-riddled liar, that's all.
Yeah, it's not like Trump isn't currently under indictment for fraud and racketeering or anything. Or left a wake of countless jilted creditors from his many bankruptcies. Or a billion dollars in debt to the Russians.
An interesting twist that I saw recently was that Trump has been called out for lies by Fact Check so often that the RWNJ trolls have decided to rewrite history with Walter Annenberg as a liberal Democrat. "Just Google it."

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
You just prefer a different flavor of scandal-riddled liar, that's all.

..there is no criminal equivalency when it comes to comparing Hillary Clinton. All the existing equivalency is already in jail. Hillary Clinton should be in jail with all the rest of her equivalency. So why do today's liberals feel comfortable voting for a known scandal ridden criminal??

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
..there is no criminal equivalency when it comes to comparing Hillary Clinton. All the existing equivalency is already in jail. Hillary Clinton should be in jail with all the rest of her equivalency. So why do today's liberals feel comfortable voting for a known scandal ridden criminal??
Yaknow, it's bad enough to fall for a con man, but worse still to keep defending the con man after the con has been exposed.

Reactions: TeeJay1952

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That's an article faith on the alt-right, isn't it?

Sure is. It's become a religion. Or maybe it's just snipe hunting. Catch any?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Probably because the only people who keep saying Hillary is a criminal and should be in jail are idiots like yourself who lie out of habit and who tend to ignore facts and insulate themselves in circular logic and conspiracy theories from websites who peddle to easily manipulated people.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Donald is extremely thin skinned. Everything bothers him.
If Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh are now questioning Donald's dedication, we all know what that means.
Kellyanne Conway will be tossed under the bus.
Blood coming out of her eyes, her ears, well you know... ;)
Actually I feel sorry for Kellyanne Conway. She has no idea what he has gotten herself into.
When Donald fails, Donald loves blaming others.
But if Donald can blame a woman?
The icing on the cake.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Sorry which flip flop are we talking about? There's been so many I can't even keep track.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
I wonder.....
I wonder what Trump supporters think of their guy now that Donald has flip flopped on illegal immigration?
The core issue that brought most of his supporters over to Trump in the first place.
If Trump allows the illegals to stay, a HUGE Trump flip flop on Trump immigration policy and promise, then will Trump eventually also flip flop on building the wall?

And what else will Donald flip flop on that his supporters originally loved about Donald?
What else and how far can Donald flip flop until his "people" (fans) turn against him?
I mean... if Donald is no longer anti illegal immigrant, and decides no more wall, flip flops on deportation, with the end to all of that then WHY EVEN SUPPORT TRUMP????
If Donald's people wanted a typical everyday flip flopping lying political, and Trump's flip flopping does in fact make Donald just another typical lying politician, then why even bother with the guy?

Trump people could have had Jeb Bush.
And Jeb would have undoubtedly done much better in the polls against Hillary than Donald.
Plus, Jeb would have had the full support of the republican old school establishment.
And Jeb, being fairly young, and fairly level headed, and fairly mainstream, and fairly conservative, and married to and having had children with a woman of Hispanic heritage.

Columba Bush

Jeb would most likely have surpassed Hillary in the polls and likely have been the next president elect.

But no.......
Instead, millions went with Donald Trump fully believing Trump meant what he said. That illegals were all murders and rapist, should all be deported, and kept away from America by that HUGE MASSIVE Donald Trump wall.
But now, none of that matters since Trump is changing his mind and flip flopping on his once hard lined philosophy.
So, for all those Donald Trump people, how does that make you feel about your guy now?
And with this new and revised, much more toned down Donald Trump, I have to wonder and ask why even bother with Donald Trump?

I doubt minds will be changed enough to switch and vote Hillary, but at least with Hillary you knew from the beginning she was a typical repulsive run of the mill politician.
With Donald, you are just learning that hard reality entirely from scratch.
That HUGE Trump wall just crumbled in around you, and there you are left holding the bricks.

Jeb! was a below average candidate. Trump systematically took him apart and exposed him as a completely out of step with the current Republican primary voter. They spent 150 million dollars to get 3 delegates. 50 million dollars per delegate. How many answers over how many days did it take Jeb to answer the question, was going into Iraq the right decision? George W Bush kept us safe? Was that before or after 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina?

Speaking of Katrina, Trump's national campaign spokeswoman just said that Trump wasn't changing his stance on immigration, he just was changing the words he is saying. Do people not get it? He could shoot someone in NYC and his supporters would still vote for him. That is the modern Republican Party.

Feb 4, 2009
Watching the US election process, from the context of *not* being a US citizen, has been interesting. I'm not surprised Trump on the Republican nomination, as he was simply the first to drop "political talk" and speak from the hip. I am also not surprised that his campaign team is frantically trying to curtail any damage done with moderate/soft Republicans who might be leaning to an independent or simply not voting. However, given that his public support appeared to be from fringe political groups, it's also not surprising that he now finds himself in a tug of war in his own party.

Still, watching American politics play out in the public space, where devotees of the Church of the Right or Left proclaim their undying loyalty is kind of scary.

We don't care we're going to build a wall....we're going to build a wall...

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Because no matter how bad Hillary may be, Trump makes her look good.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Ah, the beauty of a flip flop as a political tool!

Faithful supporter: He's just softening to get elected but he really believes what he said earlier.

New supporter: He was just saying things to win the primary, now he is saying what he actually believes.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Sorry which flip flop are we talking about? There's been so many I can't even keep track.
It's easier to keep track of what he hasn't flip flopped on:
1. We're going to build a wall, and it will be yuuuuuge!
2. Crooked Hillary

edit: Darn it - I forgot. The crooked Hillary was a flip flop. Recorded for history are multiple speaking occasions where he was praising Hillary.

Reactions: Meghan54

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I wonder.....
I wonder what Trump supporters think of their guy now that Donald has flip flopped on illegal immigration?
The core issue that brought most of his supporters over to Trump in the first place.
If Trump allows the illegals to stay, a HUGE Trump flip flop on Trump immigration policy and promise, then will Trump eventually also flip flop on building the wall?

And what else will Donald flip flop on that his supporters originally loved about Donald?
What else and how far can Donald flip flop until his "people" (fans) turn against him?
I mean... if Donald is no longer anti illegal immigrant, and decides no more wall, flip flops on deportation, with the end to all of that then WHY EVEN SUPPORT TRUMP????
If Donald's people wanted a typical everyday flip flopping lying political, and Trump's flip flopping does in fact make Donald just another typical lying politician, then why even bother with the guy?

Trump people could have had Jeb Bush.
And Jeb would have undoubtedly done much better in the polls against Hillary than Donald.
Plus, Jeb would have had the full support of the republican old school establishment.
And Jeb, being fairly young, and fairly level headed, and fairly mainstream, and fairly conservative, and married to and having had children with a woman of Hispanic heritage.

Columba Bush

Jeb would most likely have surpassed Hillary in the polls and likely have been the next president elect.

But no.......
Instead, millions went with Donald Trump fully believing Trump meant what he said. That illegals were all murders and rapist, should all be deported, and kept away from America by that HUGE MASSIVE Donald Trump wall.
But now, none of that matters since Trump is changing his mind and flip flopping on his once hard lined philosophy.
So, for all those Donald Trump people, how does that make you feel about your guy now?
And with this new and revised, much more toned down Donald Trump, I have to wonder and ask why even bother with Donald Trump?

I doubt minds will be changed enough to switch and vote Hillary, but at least with Hillary you knew from the beginning she was a typical repulsive run of the mill politician.
With Donald, you are just learning that hard reality entirely from scratch.
That HUGE Trump wall just crumbled in around you, and there you are left holding the bricks.

There no Trump flip-flops just the every present Trump truth of the now and misunderstandings found in the past.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Ah, the beauty of a flip flop as a political tool!

Faithful supporter: He's just softening to get elected but he really believes what he said earlier.

New supporter: He was just saying things to win the primary, now he is saying what he actually believes.

As a consummate con man, Trump doesn't believe any of it. He just believes in Donald Trump & his ability to bullshit his way through anything.