I wish technology will eventually replace all those changeable sign boards

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
The ones that look like this http://www.outdoorletters.com/

Nothing says you have entered the ghetto when you see a whole bunch of these advertising "Oil Chng" or "2 Fr 1 Sal" or "Frdy Nght: Bkni Conts" Ugh.

I wish LED boards would eventually drop in price enough to replace all of these.

</end angsty blog post>
Current mode: ( . _ .)

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Since nothing says you have entered the ghetto except for these signs you're crying about, if they take down the signs you might wander into the ghetto and never even know it. Worse, you will never know when you've left the ghetto!

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Mahaguru
The ones that look like this http://www.outdoorletters.com/

Nothing says you have entered the ghetto when you see a whole bunch of these advertising "Oil Chng" or "2 Fr 1 Sal" or "Frdy Nght: Bkni Conts" Ugh.

I wish LED boards would eventually drop in price enough to replace all of these.

</end angsty blog post>
Current mode: ( . _ .)

Why does it bother you so much?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
They have several of the LED signs (I think that's what they are) in the SF Bay area...IMO, they're fucking annoying and distracting...and BRIGHT as hell. I suppose once you're used to them, they lose the distraction and annoyance though.

The regular ones don't bother me at all, and I'm sure they're a whole lot cheaper.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: BoomerD
They have several of the LED signs (I think that's what they are) in the SF Bay area...IMO, they're fucking annoying and distracting...and BRIGHT as hell. I suppose once you're used to them, they lose the distraction and annoyance though.

The regular ones don't bother me at all, and I'm sure they're a whole lot cheaper.

Are you referring to the Amber Alert signs on the highway? They're operated using small bulbs and are really not as sophisticated or durable as the LED signs as those bulbs go out frequently. I've been to other countries where they often use the LED signs (across the width of the highway) and it doesn't seem such a problem there in terms of brightness. Canada is one example.
The only probable reason we have the old ass technology signs is that the agency/company that supplies these to our local governments makes a whole ass lot of money off this.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: zoiks

Are you referring to the Amber Alert signs on the highway? They're operated using small bulbs and are really not as sophisticated or durable as the LED signs as those bulbs go out frequently. I've been to other countries where they often use the LED signs (across the width of the highway) and it doesn't seem such a problem there in terms of brightness. Canada is one example.
The only probable reason we have the old ass technology signs is that the agency/company that supplies these to our local governments makes a whole ass lot of money off this.

no there are some incredibly huge light signs in the bay area

they're quite startling upon first passing.. one is between sj @ sf..

its like on the side of a building and is animated with short clips, its like someone is shining 500 1m candle power flashlights in my face whenever I pass...

I'd rather have the 2 fr 1 signs imo

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: novasatori
Originally posted by: zoiks

no there are some incredibly huge light signs in the bay area

they're quite startling upon first passing.. one is between sj @ sf..

its like on the side of a building and is animated with short clips, its like someone is shining 500 1m candle power flashlights in my face whenever I pass...

I'd rather have the 2 fr 1 signs imo

Yeah, the one I remember the most is on 101, somewhere around Belmont/San Carlos or somewhere close...but IIRC, there are/were some on 880 as well.