I wish I could make $82k a year and demand 5% raises for non-skilled labor

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Ha that is pretty nice job they have there. 40K more than the national avg and pay about 1100 bucks a year in health insurance premiums.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I find it odd that you don't mention that $11k of the $82k is overtime pay. No, wait. No, I don't find that surprising at all. Nevermind.

Do you find it surprising that the average salary for a train operator is $46,100 per year?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Do you find it surprising that the average salary for a train operator is $46,100 per year?
Do you find it surprising that the average salary for any occupation can vary wildly from location to location?

Jul 10, 2007
I find it odd that you don't mention that $11k of the $82k is overtime pay. No, wait. No, I don't find that surprising at all. Nevermind.

was what I said false?
I added up the averages for both. is everyone making $82k? no. some are making more, others are making less. but the AVERAGE comes out to $82k/yr.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
Uh oh! Someone has a good job somewhere! Better trash them for it, rather than seeking to improve our own conditions!

And yes, the Bay Area is crazy expensive. There are literal tent cities in the South Bay where the people live who clean bathrooms, etc., in Silicon Valley, because they can't afford to live anywhere within remotely commutable distance from where they work.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
was what I said false?
I added up the averages for both. is everyone making $82k? no. some are making more, others are making less. but the AVERAGE comes out to $82k/yr.
Yes, the average pay with overtime comes out to $82k. Thank you for making the correction, could you make it to your OP as well? Also, as mentioned, maybe remove the non-skilled part as well.
lumbergh.jpg

That'd be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The standard wingnut moan- somebody else makes more money than they do, and they don't understand why. Somehow, though, they usually believe that Mitt & his peers "work hard" for their millions. Funny that.

Not that they want to understand, they just enjoy the self righteousness of contrived outrage.

Denver's RTD is hiring train operators, bus operators mechanics & others, as well. If you want to see what it's really like, here's your big chance. Or, just continue to piss and moan as if you had the vaguest idea of what you're talking about. Stick with what you know.

Jul 10, 2007
The standard wingnut moan- somebody else makes more money than they do, and they don't understand why. Somehow, though, they usually believe that Mitt & his peers "work hard" for their millions. Funny that.

Not that they want to understand, they just enjoy the self righteousness of contrived outrage.

Denver's RTD is hiring train operators, bus operators mechanics & others, as well. If you want to see what it's really like, here's your big chance. Or, just continue to piss and moan as if you had the vaguest idea of what you're talking about. Stick with what you know.

nope, I've been making $100k+ since I was 27, and I did it without threatening to go on strike.
And my job involves more than just shifting a lever to speed up and slow down a train.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
nope, I've been making $100k+ since I was 27, and I did it without threatening to go on strike.
And my job involves more than just shifting a lever to speed up and slow down a train.
If you fuck up your TPS report do people die in a fiery train crash?

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011

Do you find it surprising that the average salary for any occupation can vary wildly from location to location?

Do you find it surprising that two people are having a pissing contest rather than rationally debating their points?

I dont.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Without taking sides; bus driver, limo driver, train engineer are all skilled positions. At a minimum they require a CDL.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Stupid me, I drove to the BART station this morning to go to work, not realizing there was a strike. I only read national news, almost never local. Anyway, there was a skeleton crew there to basically tell everyone who showed up that there was no train service today, and probably not for the remainder of the week either. Parking is so damn expensive in SF that I am working from home today rather than driving.

And yes, an $82K salary is nothing around here.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Did you put ANY thought into this before you posted it? You sound jealous of Mitt & his peers.

Let's hear some doublespeak on why what you said isn't what you said.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Not sure I agree with them disrupting an entire city but I will say $82K to live in the Bay Area is NOTHING.

easily doable. Shit...if I made anything close to $80k living here, I could live like a king.