I went shooting on Sunday and now I kind of want to buy a gun...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i have a stoeger cougar 9mm and love the hell out of it.

take the wife to the range for a date and just rent a bunch of different stuff. she gets to see if she wants guns in the house, you get to see which ones you get (if any) :D

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
.22 pistols are pretty cheap, and the lack of recoil makes them fairly easy to shoot for kids and smaller ladies. You should probably rent one of those if you want to take her shooting.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
On the original subject of the P226...

If you don't mind buying used and wouldn't mind a caliber with a bit more oomph than 9mm. Here is a P226 in .40S&W for $384.95

I should note I've never dealt with this vendor and can't say anything good or bad about them, nor have a heard anything either way

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
This is a good point too. The new Mark IV looks awesome, and I may get one at some point. I've had a buckmark for a while which was a fine gun when compared to the Mark III, but this is a pretty decent upgrade.

I have a Ruger Mark IV and it is a good shooter. However, it is a bitch to disassemble and reassemble. I literally have to watch a video every time I do it and the last time I couldn’t reassemble it, and I’m pretty mechanically inclined. I stopped taking it apart to clean it and just run a brush down the barrel now after shooting.

Also, they don’t like to be neglected (I.e. not cleaned) or they will jam.

I love my SIG P220. Glocks are also good, very reliable and inexpensive, but be aware there is no external safety on a Glock.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I would give up every single one of these for a good over/under or semi-automatic shotgun for sporting clays. I have a lot of guns, but the only ones I enjoy using anymore are the shotguns for sporting clays and hunting.

Man, I love over/under shotguns. Benelli makes some absolutely stunning shotguns and the action on their semi-auto shotguns is buttery smooth. I’ve never cycled a shotgun that felt anywhere near as good as Benelli.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Man, I love over/under shotguns. Benelli makes some absolutely stunning shotguns and the action on their semi-auto shotguns is buttery smooth. I’ve never cycled a shotgun that felt anywhere near as good as Benelli.

Yeah, I've tried one of Benelli's high end models and it was fantastic. I have a Browning Cynergy which is pretty nice too, but a high end Benelli is amazing.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I have a Ruger Mark IV and it is a good shooter. However, it is a bitch to disassemble and reassemble. I literally have to watch a video every time I do it and the last time I couldn’t reassemble it, and I’m pretty mechanically inclined. I stopped taking it apart to clean it and just run a brush down the barrel now after shooting.
QFT for the III
https://youtu.be/LGEtudNJua4?t=50

Same, just brush the barrel.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
I had to feel super American over the holiday weekend so I went shooting for the first time in like 25 years. My buddy owns a pistol so we went and it was awesome, and now I kind of want a gun. We each shot 5 full magazines, which probably isn't that much, but it was enough that I liked it and kind of want to start researching purchasing one.

We were shooting a SIG Sauer 226 9mm. It was the one that had a 15 round capacity.

As someone who knows dick about guns, I was looking for some suggestions on starter pistols to possibly purchase. That gun apparently is a pretty high rated one and maybe it is a good beginner one, but damn just googling the cost is like $1k so I don't think I'd spend that much.

Anyone have suggestions on what other ones may be good to start with? Definitely looking for a semi automatic pistol that would be "similar" to that, just not as expensive.

Oh and I also have to convince my wife to be okay with keeping a gun in the house. She is pretty against it but she is interested in going to shoot with us one time so that will either change her mind or make her firm probably lol. I tried to explain to her that if I had one it wouldn't be out loaded in a drawer and that it would be locked up away unloaded, but she was still very iffy about it.

And please, I'm not trying to make this a "gun debate" thread to keep that crap out of here. Just looking for some advice.
I'm going to recommend the Smith and Wesson M&P9. In my mind it is a polymer framed striker fired piece like the glock but shaped differently (perhaps a little like the sig only with a bonus of lower bore axis than the Sig for less muzzle flip and lower pricetag). Smith got this design right, even the baby shield fits great in my huge mitts. Good luck with your first choice and it probably won't be the last :)

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I'm going to recommend the Smith and Wesson M&P9. In my mind it is a polymer framed striker fired piece like the glock but shaped differently (perhaps a little like the sig only with a bonus of lower bore axis than the Sig for less muzzle flip and lower pricetag). Smith got this design right, even the baby shield fits great in my huge mitts. Good luck with your first choice and it probably won't be the last :)

My sister has an M&P M2.0 40 S&W.

Nov 20, 2009
If you want the Sig, get the Sig. Used, it is around $600:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783495117

It was the first handgun I bought and now I have over 300, but it still holds a special place in my heart.
Rugar GP100 was my first revolver, but the Sig P2340 was my first semi-automatic. I bought it +15 years ago, IIRC, and I still have it and still shoot it. Chambered for the Sig .357 cartridge. I love that gun!

BTW, how do you store 300 handguns? Not enough pillows/cushions to store that many out of sight.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Yeah, but why do you want 32 Glock 17s? What makes you get more than 1?

I have a couple of duplicates, but most are different colors, generations, variations. Some old pics.

17 Glock 17's:

yp0zm.jpg

19 Glock 19's:

nf5lcn.jpg

BTW, how do you store 300 handguns? Not enough pillows/cushions to store that many out of sight.

I live out of multiple houses.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015

Agreed. Benelli makes some real nice semi-auto's, didn't know they even made o/u that must be something recent.
I've got like 5 benelli semi-auto upland-field guns and also a m4 with collapsible stock for home defense. They are sweet..I take my Benelli ultra light 20 gauge grouse hunting all the time.
As far as o/u shotguns go I have a 28 gauge Ceasar Guerini magnus ultra light and a 20 gauge Beretta 687 silver pigeon II.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I have a couple of duplicates, but most are different colors, generations, variations. Some old pics.

17 Glock 17's:

yp0zm.jpg

I live out of multiple houses.
I only have 1 but it's the original I bought 12/5/90. I have the sled paper but not the receipt...iirc, I paid $400.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
so is my ruger
it also eats anything i put in it, and has a hammer and safety
i prefer hammers and safetys

but im old and set in my ways
To each his own on that and I understand it. A proper holster is a must for a no safety pistol.

Side story. When I got my CWP, I used my Star 30M because it's heavy, shoots well and has a safety. Before the actual range test, we shot 100 rounds with various conditions. 1 was draw, safety off, fire 2 rounds, safety on and re-holster. Twice during this very low stress test, I forgot to take the safety off. Granted, I don't shoot it much but if I'm in a high stress situation let's KISS.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Hey does Baily get a coolcoin for the likes to posts percentage? @ultimatebob

No, but I'm seriously considering handing out a Coolcoin if the OP documents his trip to the gun range with his wife and posts pictures of his targets when he's done.

If he's anything like me, he'll find out that his wife is a better shot than he is :)