I went for a walk around a swampy area to take pics of critters.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
At the default file open size. grain or noise is not really that apparent, and actually irrelevant. I wish you critics would stop enlarging pictures until they break up. Don't give me any of this 100% nonsense. Use the picture as it is given to you. It is about a 4x6 in size - no more.

These are excellent available light pictures of a tough subject in a tough environment. I for one appreciate them.

Tromping around a bunch of water mocasins in the early morning is not my idea of fun.

Nice going! You illustrated very well what it is like to walk the swamps just after sunrise.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: corkyg
At the default file open size. grain or noise is not really that apparent, and actually irrelevant. I wish you critics would stop enlarging pictures until they break up. Don't give me any of this 100% nonsense. Use the picture as it is given to you. It is about a 4x6 in size - no more.

These are excellent available light pictures of a tough subject in a tough environment. I for one appreciate them.

Tromping around a bunch of water mocasins in the early morning is not my idea of fun.

Nice going! You illustrated very well what it is like to walk the swamps just after sunrise.

Forget it. It's not worth trying to explain it to you again.

I think the rest of us understand why you're going back another day. Light situation was bad. Good photos though.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: DrPizza
I kinda like that first one.

"AHHHhhhhh!!! It's the Loch Ness Monster!!"

You mean monsters, LOL. If you follow the body of the snake from the bottom of the pic to the top (where the head is), you can barely see another snake behind that tree root. Just like I said, "They were every where":Q:laugh:

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004

Thank you!:)

Yes, its tough to shoot inthere. The overall atmosphere of the "swampy" areas is grainy/gritty by nature and if you add low light conditions....well, it was just hard to shoot, at least for me. Also the water reflection was not ideal either. In the picture where the turtle and frog are, the water wasn't to bad. That type of greenish film on top of the water was expected. However, I dont know if you noticed, on the pics with the snakes, the water had an "rainbow" colors effect. It looked similar to the motor oil and water mix. I thought it was just in a that section, but it was in quite a few sections.

LOL, I like snakes, but that day, there were so many everywhere that it was almost freaky. I dont know if its matting season or if thats normall for that area. I guess I'll find out next time I go.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

I think the rest of us understand why you're going back another day. Light situation was bad. Good photos though.

I was hoping to go back there on monday. But there is a 70% chance of rain that day. And for tuesday and wednesday, there is a 20% and a 50%. Even if we dont get that much rain, I'm pretty sure its going to be cloudy. So, needles to say I wont be able to go for a few days.

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006

inches and pixels aren't an exact translation.
when YOU open up that photo, it gets downsized to fit into a browser.
so YOU'RE the one who is not seeing the photo that was given to you.

just because you can't see flaws when its downsized doesn't mean that the flaws won't be there when printed.

I can certainly accept noise when the shooting environment requires high ISO. There are ways to clean it up...but that photo will never be as sharp as it could have been with low iso and good lighting (which isn't the photographers fault usually)

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: troytime
inches and pixels aren't an exact translation.
when YOU open up that photo, it gets downsized to fit into a browser. so YOU'RE the one who is not seeing the photo that was given to you. just because you can't see flaws when its downsized doesn't mean that the flaws won't be there when printed. I can certainly accept noise when the shooting environment requires high ISO. There are ways to clean it up...but that photo will never be as sharp as it could have been with low iso and good lighting (which isn't the photographers fault usually)

You miss the point. When photos are uploaded they are often reduced in pixels beforehand in order to facilitate transmission. We use those in turn to illustrate points - they are not intended to be printed. Besides - out of over 10,000 images in the last 6 years, I only remember printing about a dozen. Printing is not part of my world.

When I upload a photo and open it to check - it is exactly as I uploaded it.

If you do anything but open the sample in your browser, you are going beyond the op's purpose. And . . . your last statement is exactly correct. Like OP says - ideal conditions are not always possible.

It is quite possible that we are all not as perfect as you are. But, we manage to muddle along. :)

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
there's no point to miss

if you're ignoring the full size of the photo and all of the flaws, it's YOUR ignorance

I'm really concerned for you.
If printing isn't part of your world, what is?
If all your photos turn into strictly graphics for the web, $5,000 in photography equipment is overkill.

As for ME being perfect, i've been doing this for less than a year.
I'm TRYING to learn as much as I can from the best sources possible.
Thats why i get irritated with you misinforming others who may be newer than i.

I'd seriously like to see you stake your same claims at a real photography site.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Sorry - I am not misinforming anyone. I've been doing this since 1945. I do most all of my work now for tours and travel groups and churches. I have a job tomorrow as a matter of fact. The photos are all printed in publications and on CD and DVDs for slide shows.

I have no problem at all with other photographers. I don't think we really have a problem either except possibly misunderstandings due to vastly different generational uses of the English language.

I don't put graphics on the web except to illustrate a point.

In the future I will try and avoid stirring your pot. Peace!